Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Construction 2014 - all levels **

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

How did ye find the exam guys? Haven't and probably won't get a chance to see the paper until it appears online.

Very nice paper from a quick glance at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Great test altogether! They mixed it up a bit in terms of details of the questions alright though. Q1 gave a timber frame with a trussed roof and threw in a service cavity in the inside wall also for the craic!
    Q7 gave a triple glazed window with a thermally broken frame. Also had a 200mm cavity which was fully insulated! So the drawings were a bit different but generally very easy compared to the past 2 years!

I was disappointed not to see an airtightness type question as q9 though. Its been there for a good 5 years or so but a no show this year! Similarly was banking on either site safety or wheelchair access in q2 but that was a no show. Only huge positive was question 8. An above ground drainage system. Part b was almost a pass level type question! Uvalue was a piece of piss too really, so unbelievably straightforward, I couldn't believe it! Not even part c threw me off any bit! I got about €7 for the heat loss btw, very low.

My fallback question were 6 and 3 and I had to fall back to q6 but seriously it was the easiest q6 I've seen yet! No questions on compactness, design for life, materials or labour etc. Just straight up asked about designs of the house that are environmentally friendly. I might be over exxagerating but I think the test was simple.

I got €49.61 and so did a girl in my class, could be wrong though, I didn't double check, just assumed it was right since it wasn't like €.000001 or €1000000

YES I got it right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Daithi MacG

Just realised I mis-read a bit of question one, and decided to leave the ventilation path 'til last and forgot it. Goddammit. Also I read "Insulated Service Cavaity" as "Insulated Cavity" and just assumed the gap between the outer and inner leaves (leafs?) was 60. But I didn't insulate it. What was I doing?

Also, @cavedu, Q.2 wasn't really wheelchair access it was more Threshold Details and Lifetime Use. I think that's what you mean but just making sure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 K1ultra

I got €49.61 and so did a girl in my class, could be wrong though, I didn't double check, just assumed it was right since it wasn't like €.000001 or €1000000

Bollox anyway! I should get most marks for having the right method hopefully

• Advertisement

I got the correct u value, must've made a silly mistake somewhere because I didn't get 49, I got 7! I used the correct method just a calculation error so it shouldn't be too bad!
    K1ultra wrote: »
    Bollox anyway! I should get most marks for having the right method hopefully

Based on the 2009 question marking.. If we went wrong in one place of our calculations we should lose like 2 marks. So we're good.

Btw was there some trick part to 5c or was it really just draw the details of a floor and cavity wall?

FatRat wrote: »
    I got the correct u value, must've made a silly mistake somewhere because I didn't get 49, I got 7! I used the correct method just a calculation error so it shouldn't be too bad!

Something like .129XXXXXX for the U-value?

Something like .129XXXXXX for the U-value?

Yes, I rounded it to 0.13

Yes, I rounded it to 0.13

I left all the decimal places my calculator gave me...not sure if that can make such a difference, but with all the adding/subtracting/multiplying/dividing it's possible!

Just realised I mis-read a bit of question one, and decided to leave the ventilation path 'til last and forgot it. Goddammit. Also I read "Insulated Service Cavaity" as "Insulated Cavity" and just assumed the gap between the outer and inner leaves (leafs?) was 60. But I didn't insulate it. What was I doing?

Also, @cavedu, Q.2 wasn't really wheelchair access it was more Threshold Details and Lifetime Use. I think that's what you mean but just making sure :D

yh I kinda link it all in together..design for life, when your old you have a wheelchair right? so designing before hand etc that's the point of view I ment it as

• Advertisement

Based on the 2009 question marking.. If we went wrong in one place of our calculations we should lose like 2 marks. So we're good.

Btw was there some trick part to 5c or was it really just draw the details of a floor and cavity wall?

I did a 'integrated energys foundation' for part (c) and It fitted well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

did any one get 49. something for the u value part b ?

yh I kinda link it all in together..design for life, when your old you have a wheelchair right? so designing before hand etc that's the point of view I ment it as

That's what I thought you meant alright :) Hope you get on okay anyway! And everyone else, of course!
    caolan1996 wrote: »
    did any one get 49. something for the u value part b ?

€49.61.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭AoifeCN

for q2 on the threshold I did a full 1:10 drawing and then wrote a few notes about it. Do you think that would be ok? looking back it did say notes and "freehand" sketches. will I lose much marks?

did anyone else do q3 and what did you say for three features off a study area

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Supersonic42

AoifeCN wrote: »
    for q2 on the threshold I did a full 1:10 drawing and then wrote a few notes about it. Do you think that would be ok? looking back it did say notes and "freehand" sketches. will I lose much marks?

No it wont matter if its not freehand

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

Q3 part c) can someone explain me what they even meant by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

did anyone else do q3 and what did you say for three features off a study area

Placing a window at the wall A-A cos its south faceing and will provide natural light and solar gain

ensure area is not cluttered with junk from storage room

give the child a round table as it means he has a larger surface area for books and more room to work on

for improving apperence i just said the window will imporve its apperence and also painted a mural/design across the entire building

No it wont matter if its not freehand

Actually, I'm pretty sure you do lose marks if they're not freehand. However, if you did a 1:10 scale drawing, with everything in proportion, for that question I would imagine it would be an acceptable substitute. Not sure though.
    Nicke011 wrote: »
    Q3 part c) can someone explain me what they even meant by that?

For this one, I said to cover the outside with wooden cladding, as it looks nice, environmentally friendly, cheap, durable, looks natural etc. and I also said to put slates on the roof (which I made a pitched roof) to make it look more natural.
    Badwulf wrote: »
    Placing a window at the wall A-A cos its south faceing and will provide natural light and solar gain

ensure area is not cluttered with junk from storage room

give the child a round table as it means he has a larger surface area for books and more room to work on

for improving apperence i just said the window will imporve its apperence and also painted a mural/design across the entire building

For the 3 functional requirements, I said there needs to be enough light (and natural light) to study, there needs to be good sound insulation and you must be able to control to temperature. I wouldn't have said "ensuring the area is not cluttered with junk from storage room" is a Functional Requirement, but correct me if I'm wrong please.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you do lose marks if they're not freehand. However, if you did a 1:10 scale drawing, with everything in proportion, for that question I would imagine it would be an acceptable substitute. Not sure though.

For this one, I said to cover the outside with wooden cladding, as it looks nice, environmentally friendly, cheap, durable, looks natural etc. and I also said to put slates on the roof (which I made a pitched roof) to make it look more natural.

For the 3 functional requirements, I said there needs to be enough light (and natural light) to study, there needs to be good sound insulation and you must be able to control to temperature. I wouldn't have said "ensuring the area is not cluttered with junk from storage room" is a Functional Requirement, but correct me if I'm wrong please.

well considering the fact it was orginally a storage room it does kinda count I guess?

• Advertisement

8 (c) anybody? Outline two design considerations to ensure the economical
    use of water in the bathroom?

I said to use taps which you have to push down on like in bathrooms in schools, that way you wont leave the tap on by accident. I also said to collect the water from the sink and re-use it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

8 (c) anybody? Outline two design considerations to ensure the economical
    use of water in the bathroom?

I said to use taps which you have to push down on like in bathrooms in schools, that way you wont leave the tap on by accident. I also said to collect the water from the sink and re-use it?

Ya the push down tap was a good one, could have also said by using rainwater harvesting for toilets and showers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

For question 1 with the ventilation path, did you have to draw like an arrow showing how it ventilates? I just drew the gap in the soffit and the eaves ventilator and labelled them will that be ok?

I didnt even draw a ventilation path, just drew a roof with details and labelled it :L

Golfanatic wrote: »
    For question 1 with the ventilation path, did you have to draw like an arrow showing how it ventilates? I just drew the gap in the soffit and the eaves ventilator and labelled them will that be ok?

i dont think so i just put in the vent in the soffit and the ventilator
    you see for putting in the three dimensios did you do it on the roof detail or the wall because it said the roof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

i dont think so i just put in the vent in the soffit and the ventilator
    you see for putting in the three dimensios did you do it on the roof detail or the wall because it said the roof

On the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jackthelad1000

Anyone have solutions to this paper? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aar0n147

For higher level I only answered question 1 and three more instead of four. Will I b marked down a lot for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

You will lose 20% of your exam you can only get a max of 240 out of 300 which overall is 10% of your overall grade(your exam is worth 50% in total)

• Advertisement
Advertisement