Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How bad are the Gardai and what do we do about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

I know that this issue has been covered to some degree on AH in the past but I saw something during the week that frankly really shocked me. I was in Court supporting a friend and in the middle of the trial a guard was called up to give evidence on a procedural issue. When called, he just bare faced out and out lied to the judge. In a way it was a relatively minor issue in the case but had he told the truth it could have been significant. Didn't effect the outcome from my perspective, as the side I was supporting was still successful but what struck me was just how everyday and normal it seemed to him. There was five or six of us there who knew he just told a whopper (and he knew we did), there was a colleague of his there who would also have known it wasn't the truth, and I suspect a few more of his colleagues who were around would also have known. Still up he got, put his hand on the bible and brazenly lied.

I have a three part question to the good folk of AH a) have you ever witnessed or known of Garda malpractice, corruption or dishonesty like this, if so please share (usual rules, no names etc) b) how much faith do you have in our Guards (see poll) and c) if things are as bad as I feel they are what the hell do we do about it???

I suppose I had buried my head in the sand a little in relation to all that has come out about the Gardai over the last few years but I have to say this really opened my eyes. I can see now how those things went on in West Cork, Donegal and with the whistleblowers when in my own back yard a guard can get up on the stand and lie in front of ten or so people who know he's lying without batting an eyelid.

A) Yes.

B) Zero faith. I think they are scum.

C) Nothing you can do. Try do something and you will know all about it. Your door will be kicked in one day out of the blue.

Unfortunately most people will never experience what you have experienced and therefore you will not be believed. (on here anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Piliger wrote: »
    A handful of bad eggs but the vast majority are brilliant.
    To say that the vast majority are brilliant is as much a departure from the truth as to say the vast majority are crap.
    People can only really judge by their own interactions with the gardai, in my case this has been mediocre to poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

All I was doing was kicking wing mirrors off cars at 3am whilst blind drunk.... but the gardai are nothing but corrupt pigs in my dealings with them etc etc etc.

Makes me celebrate and demand more corrupt pigs in that case. The more I read about the gardai here the more I love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Dont call me Shirley

major bill wrote: »
    Thought I would share that story, I understand the job at hand is tough and can be very dangerous but far too many of them are out of touch with people in the community which does nothing for peoples trust in them.

Agreed, I think after my experiences with them I will be extremely wary of any interactions I have with them in the future. Even if they purported to be looking for help in solving a crime.

At the back of my mind I'd be thinking will they use what I say to help stitch some innocent up.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

I'm a garda and I have to say that the vast majority of people I encounter have are extremely positive towards gardai. There are many families out there that have had great experiences of garda going above and beyond the call of duty for them at desperate and tragic times. These people rarely ring joe Duffy or post on boards, you will rarely hear them and it's not that they don't appreciate what is done but their cases are very private and personal. A thread like this dosent bother me in the slightest, posters are anon and it is hard to tell from the drunk driver, paedofile, serial whinger and the decent person who had a genuine bad experiences and met an asshole of a garda. My experiece of drunk and drug fueled public is that they can feel disrespected when told to cop themselves on or when they end up in court. Joe public can be quite nasty to deal with, especially so during the Celtic tiger when every tom dick and Harry had attitude and an ego and bundles of money to spend on coke and alcohol!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 conan_doyle

after all that has been revealed so far this year , i find it truly staggering that so many people can still trot out the line " vast majority are excellent - few bad apples etc "

you dont have to be a criminal or even a troublemaker to find yourself being victimised by members of AGS , all you need to do is be in dispute with someone who is well connected to the force

how willing guards are to act depends on two things

1. who is doing the complaining

2. who is being complained about

they are utterly political in how they go about their business

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 conan_doyle

Einhard wrote: »
    This thread is only on page two, and already there's a few posts criticising the guards from people who admit they've had run ins with them, or something similar. Now, I realise that even the most perfectly innocent of people could be ensnared by a corrupt cop, but seriously, if your prelude to condenmnation of the guards involves mention of your previous experiences of them, maybe we'd all be better off if you took a long, hard look at yourself rather than the people who caught you doing whatever it was you were doing.

Seriously, I was never an angel, but I was never arrested by the guards. If you were, maybe, just maybe, it was your fault, and not theirs?

i was arrested three years ago for buying a can of coke and spent four hours in a cell , someone who has pull with the guards made a false allegation against me , myself and this individual had previous going back nearly ten years , he assaulted me on my own property , the guards decided not to present my medical evidence to the court and he won , i was assaulted on my own property yet lost a case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Shady Tady wrote: »
    I'm a garda and I have to say that the vast majority of people I encounter have are extremely positive towards gardai. There are many families out there that have had great experiences of garda going above and beyond the call of duty for them at desperate and tragic times. These people rarely ring joe Duffy or post on boards, you will rarely hear them and it's not that they don't appreciate what is done but their cases are very private and personal. A thread like this dosent bother me in the slightest, posters are anon and it is hard to tell from the drunk driver, paedofile, serial whinger and the decent person who had a genuine bad experiences and met an asshole of a garda. My experiece of drunk and drug fueled public is that they can feel disrespected when told to cop themselves on or when they end up in court. Joe public can be quite nasty to deal with, especially so during the Celtic tiger when every tom dick and Harry had attitude and an ego and bundles of money to spend on coke and alcohol!

Your arguement is essentially... "I have friends, but you can't meet them because they live in......Lichtenstein, and won't be back til September..." :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I know that this issue has been covered to some degree on AH in the past

Are you sure? It doesn't sound like a topic that would be raised in AH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

Your arguement is essentially... "I have friends, but you can't meet them because they live in......Lichtenstein, and won't be back til September..." :pac:

No! but try again

Shady Tady wrote: »

I agree that there was a lot of unpleasant, egotistical behaviour during the Celtic tiger years. Yes it must be unpleasant to deal with but many people deal with unpleasant aspects of their jobs and in fairness the gardai are quite well paid.

I still can't equate your argument that the people who complain about the gardai are either criminals or have come in contact with a small minority of corrupt gardai with the facts as I see them.

If we look at the numbers alone, the results so far in this poll show about 50% have serious concerns about the gardai, slightly less than a recent poll carried out by a reputable body and published in a major newspaper. You're argument therefore dictates that 50% of the population are either lunatics/criminals or have had an unpleasant experience with a corrupt guard.

Personally, I'd estimate about 15/20% (asking for it, I know :)) of the population as lunatics/criminals which leaves us with 30% of the population as having had a bad experience with a small minority of corrupt gardai.

That simply doesn't add up. It suggests that either a small minority of corrupt gardai are running riot or that corruption is more widespread than you allow.

Another telling example here (aside from what I personally experienced this week which I appreciate cannot be validated) is the treatment dished out to Maurice McCabe since he returned to work.

Here we have an honest and courageous individual (and I think we can all finally ;) agree on this) who is subject to widespread harassment on his return to work.

Surely if it was only a small minority, the decent majority would not stand for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Seems to be a lot of outrageous perverts in the force, out just looking for the ride. Or has been my impressions of some of the ones I know of.

Other than that, never had much to do with them thankfully.

I agree that there was a lot of unpleasant, egotistical behaviour during the Celtic tiger years. Yes it must be unpleasant to deal with but many people deal with unpleasant aspects of their jobs and in fairness the gardai are quite well paid.

I still can't equate your argument that the people who complain about the gardai are either criminals or have come in contact with a small minority of corrupt gardai with the facts as I see them.

If we look at the numbers alone, the results so far in this poll show about 50% have serious concerns about the gardai, slightly less than a recent poll carried out by a reputable body and published in a major newspaper. You're argument therefore dictates that 50% of the population are either lunatics/criminals or have had an unpleasant experience with a corrupt guard.

Personally, I'd estimate about 15/20% (asking for it, I know :)) of the population as lunatics/criminals which leaves us with 30% of the population as having had a bad experience with a small minority of corrupt gardai.

That simply doesn't add up. It suggests that either a small minority of corrupt gardai are running riot or that corruption is more widespread than you allow.

Another telling example here (aside from what I personally experienced this week which I appreciate cannot be validated) is the treatment dished out to Maurice McCabe since he returned to work.

Here we have an honest and courageous individual (and I think we can all finally ;) agree on this) who is subject to widespread harassment on his return to work.

Surely if it was only a small minority, the decent majority would not stand for this?

The general rule is that it takes 9 good experiences to counter one bad experience. The bad experiences are just more memorable. People often mistake a Gardas demeanour for not caring or not being interested. When you're the victim of a crime it's probably one of the most memorable things in your life. It's all you can think about. So when you encounter a Garda who is completely calm you think they don't care. When they don't write down the things you think are important you think they aren't listening.

Most people won't see the work Gardaí do. As an example, a person calls because they caught someone trying to break into their home. 10 Gardaí search the area. Two Gardaí show up half an hour later at the home after searching the area. Homeowner complains about response time.

Gardaí aren't your servants, employees or trusted friends. They are there to do a job. The way you think they should act and the way you think the job should be done is probably not feasible if the job is to be done in any way effectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

A friend of mine used to buy a few nine bars, years ago from a guy in another town. He didn't really deal, more of a group buy to get more hash.

They were travelling down from that guys place with 2 9 bars, when the car was stopped and searched. Now he has never been in trouble with the law and has never had his car searched...coincidence?

They found out that that "guy" was dealing and informing the guards of his customers, hence the ambush.

He was held for 2 nights in the station, where they pumped him for the information, apparently they didn't care that the guys claimed a 9 bar each, they wanted to do the driver for transporting 2 9-bars.

So what happened here? They were happy to leave a bigger dealer in play to make more "smaller fish" arrests? I personally don't know how the bureaucracy works or how they would be rewarded for what they were doing, but it seems they were gaming the system.

Anyway, to make a long story boring, one of the guys who was busted mums sister is a judge's aid, so it never made it to court. Although the driver's charge made it to the DPP, where it was decided no prosecution would take place.

So is the judicial system corrupt, you can bet your arse it is. Should you be surprised? No, it seems to be the way in every country.

True story bro...

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kikidelvin

I do not envy them their job,however I cannot understand why they seem to think they have to tell lies in order to get a conviction.Are they not able to do their job otherwise?

• Advertisement

The general rule is that it takes 9 good experiences to counter one bad experience. The bad experiences are just more memorable. People often mistake a Gardas demeanour for not caring or not being interested. When you're the victim of a crime it's probably one of the most memorable things in your life. It's all you can think about. So when you encounter a Garda who is completely calm you think they don't care. When they don't write down the things you think are important you think they aren't listening.

Most people won't see the work Gardaí do. As an example, a person calls because they caught someone trying to break into their home. 10 Gardaí search the area. Two Gardaí show up half an hour later at the home after searching the area. Homeowner complains about response time.

Gardaí aren't your servants, employees or trusted friends. They are there to do a job. The way you think they should act and the way you think the job should be done is probably not feasible if the job is to be done in any way effectively.

Before I leave this for the night I'm going to present two (similar) arguments to you. The first I take from a philosophy lecturer I once had on Utilitarianism and should not be read as evidence of republican leanings. *

After either the Birmingham Six or the Guildford Four (forgive my weakness on history) had been wrongly imprisoned the English police became aware that the conviction was baseless and had been secured by dishonest means.

A secret report was commissioned by the police which found that though they were wrongly convicted the public should not be made aware and they should remain in jail as the damage done to the public perception of the force would stop them from doing their jobs effectively, the public would suffer and this suffering would outweigh the suffering of the innocent people in jail.

I would argue that the Irish police force now has a similar mentality. They say, look at all the wonderful work we do in such terrible, difficult circumstances, we must focus on this and not the small minority. Whether or not your political leanings allow for the suffering of a minority to outweigh 'the greater good' surely you can see how it allows for a terribly unhealthy and unsafe culture to develop in a police force.

All of a sudden it's ok to bend a rule here or there, tell a small lie in court, turn a blind eye to this or that because of all the wonderful work you tell yourself the force does and before you know it you have a culture of corruption and dishonesty.

My second argument gets back to one I made earlier. Go to very many homeless shelters, disability homes, mental health facilities in the country and you'll see staff getting treated in the same way you hear of gardai getting treated. People will be assaulted, spat at, verbally abused, sexually abused etc.

There would be outrage if these conditions were used to justify malpractice or abuse in these settings. Yet whenever there's criticisms of the gardai, the first thing we hear is ah sure look at what they have to put up with.

It's simply not an adequate justification.

*If I'm incorrect on of my Birmingham Six/Guildford four facts forgive me and blame my lecturer. I don't think it takes from the argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Well ask yourself this. If they treated a fellow colleague like this for doing the right thing and pointing out officers abusing the law..

Imagine how a member of the public was treated. after he/she was mistreated by one or more of them. And made the error of trying to complain and get justice.

Someone mentioned guards having to deal with the egos of the Celtic tiger era. Copper face jacks was pretty much full of Celtic tiger ego people, full of self entitlement. A lot of those egos put on the uniform after a drunken night's trouble .but didn't have to worry about the consequences of any trouble they caused or drink driving/ drugs they did.

Think that is the point of the whistle blowers is it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Generally sound enough people, extremely political, reasonably calm, not too brutal, cute, good assessors of situations, clannish.

That's my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

I know of a friend who got a record 'cleaned' because his mate was a guard.

They are not good at sticking to the letter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

A handful of bad eggs but the vast majority are brilliant.

Source please

• Advertisement

Bafucin wrote: »
    I know of a friend who got a record 'cleaned' because his mate was a guard.

They are not good at sticking to the letter.

Thank goodness. We need them to do a job and sometimes the kinds of sh1ts they deal with need to be dealt with by nuancing the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Any experiences I've had with them have been positive.

When I reported a rape 8 years ago, they handled it sensitively, got special officers out to speak to me, and only had me speaking to female officers because I was scared of men. Even when I decided not to proceed (out of fear), they rang me twice just to check I was doing okay.

Few years later I was beaten up in Fibbers. Police couldn't have handled it better, especially as I was having a panic attack as I spoke to them.

Witnessed a man being knocked down last year. Police took my witness statement and details, and rang me just to give me advance notice that the insureres would be calling me, and to quickly go over my statement to make sure I had it all right.

Those are my only experiences, and honestly, the gardai couldn't have been better.

Yes, there are some utter scumbags in the force, but from my limited experiences, they've been fantastic.

Before I leave this for the night I'm going to present two (similar) arguments to you. The first I take from a philosophy lecturer I once had on Utilitarianism and should not be read as evidence of republican leanings. *

After either the Birmingham Six or the Guildford Four (forgive my weakness on history) had been wrongly imprisoned the English police became aware that the conviction was baseless and had been secured by dishonest means.

A secret report was commissioned by the police which found that though they were wrongly convicted the public should not be made aware and they should remain in jail as the damage done to the public perception of the force would stop them from doing their jobs effectively, the public would suffer and this suffering would outweigh the suffering of the innocent people in jail.

I would argue that the Irish police force now has a similar mentality. They say, look at all the wonderful work we do in such terrible, difficult circumstances, we must focus on this and not the small minority. Whether or not your political leanings allow for the suffering of a minority to outweigh 'the greater good' surely you can see how it allows for a terribly unhealthy and unsafe culture to develop in a police force.

All of a sudden it's ok to bend a rule here or there, tell a small lie in court, turn a blind eye to this or that because of all the wonderful work you tell yourself the force does and before you know it you have a culture of corruption and dishonesty.

My second argument gets back to one I made earlier. Go to very many homeless shelters, disability homes, mental health facilities in the country and you'll see staff getting treated in the same way you hear of gardai getting treated. People will be assaulted, spat at, verbally abused, sexually abused etc.

There would be outrage if these conditions were used to justify malpractice or abuse in these settings. Yet whenever there's criticisms of the gardai, the first thing we hear is ah sure look at what they have to put up with.

It's simply not an adequate justification.

*If I'm incorrect on of my Birmingham Six/Guildford four facts forgive me and blame my lecturer. I don't think it takes from the argument.

I didn't actually attempt to justify anything. I was just explaining why perception seems to be so negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Einhard wrote: »
    Why was your sister in court? No offence, but I'm a tad cynical when people under criminal investigation complain about the guards.

Like the family in Donegal under investigation for murder? The ones who turned out to be framed.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

I have a two-fold view on the Gardai.

On the one hand, they are overworked, they are completely under-resourced, I'd imagine that morale is low at the moment. Their minister in Shatter is far from a beacon of integrity. They have an extremely tough job, one which is emotionally and mentally draining. I imagine it is rough at certain times too. On top of this, they are probably dealing with more crime of different sorts than ever before, both indigenous and from Europe. So it's tough and I have sympathy for them in those respects.

On the other hand, in a lot of dealings I have had with them, they have been an arrogant, bully-boy type organisation. Recently, our house was burgled and quite frankly the response from the Gardai was shocking. It took 3 hours for a response from the local squadcar (in suburban Dublin) and after that, a requested phone call was never given. Granted forensics came out, but a PHONE CALL wasn't given to us in follow up after it was SPECIFICALLY requested. Nothing special, just a phone call.

When meeting Gardai in stations to get forms signed for cars etc or at traffic stops etc, I have never been left with the impression that I have had a pleasant, professional dealing with the police force. There is generally apathy, disinterest or an interrogation and suspicious eyeing up. I suppose being a mid-20's male means I'm probably there worst demographic to deal with!

I have heard of Gardai quashing speeding tickets and other charges for friends of theirs (although admittedly, most of it happened in the 90s/early 00s, it's harder to do that now). While working in a busy bar where the Army and Gardai frequent, the Gardai would tend to give the most trouble. Frankly, while off-duty a lot of them were arrogant and loud. Some were very nice of course, but they did stick out as a profession.

In London, any dealings with the Police have been professional and courteous. I don't hope to require their services, but they seem more 'interested' to help than the Gardai. (Makes me sick to say that :P)

So yeah, there are good and bad in the Gardai, but unfortunately my experiences with them have been bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I dunno how you measure how bad they are , but through work I interact with Gardai maybe 10 or 12 times a month , always find them courteous and professional , I've given statements, made 999 calls , dealt with them face to face in emergencies or on routine situations .
    In maybe 4 years I can honestly say I've met one arsehole .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

sort of a stupid example there mini but isn't that the same with every one here ? lots of storys and no one with a shred of proof either way,

so why should we believe you and not tayto ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Had to call them once for a intruder in my flat and was impressed with the speed they got here. I rang the local station instead of 999 as it's around the corner from me

They also said they were the only car in the district which was pretty ridiculous. Over 6,000 people in a large and busy area and there is no way a car and two people could deal with everything

It's probably even worse out rural where your nearest car might be across the county somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭oholly121

If I could describe the Gardai from the dealings I have had with them it would be unprofessional, power hungry, inept and unwilling to do their job!

PS I'm Irish

As early as yesterday I had dealings with the Gardai up in GNIB where they managed to send a letter regarding my wife's visa to my old address despite me updating the new address with them last year they sent this letter to my old address over a year ago

When I tried to explain the case to one of them the detective garda immediately started shouting at me for no reason when I actually told her could she please stop shouting at me and check the address on the computer she refused o asked her what do I need to do she said shouting at me might I add I DON'T KNOW It this point there was 3 Gardai behind the glass shouting at me I asked them there names and ID numbers they refused to give them to me, I asked for a supervisor they refused, I then asked for a copy of the letter that was sent to me she refused to give it to me but she was nice enough to let me read it through the glass!!!! She told me to phone a number after I asked if I would have to queue for 6 hours again and I wouldn't have to queue once I got onto dpt of justice to see what the problem is I left the hatch and went to reception and asked again to speak to a supervisor the guy on reception went behind and came out and said to me that the garda and her boss where talking about me there and he wouldn't see me as I know what I need to do even though I got no info!!!!

When I got home I phoned the number she gave me 4 times they hung up on me and when I got to speak to someone he said ah yeah I remember you I was there no one shouted at you and you where treated right I just hung up and dealt with justice

So in short I don't really care if morale in the force is low, their pay is not good, their under resourced and blah blah blah fact is they can do whatever it is they want they are beyond the reaches of the law they really don't want to do any work whatsoever.
    The only thing that they are interested in is assisting banks throwing people out of their homes and prosecuting motorists in fact this is true because in the last 5 years revenue from fines is up but crime and serious crime detection rates are down I could give many other examples

I hate them they are by far other than politicians the lowest form of existence in this country!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

oholly121 wrote: »
    If I could describe the Gardai from the dealings I have had with them it would be unprofessional, power hungry, inept and unwilling to do their job!

PS I'm Irish

As early as yesterday I had dealings with the Gardai up in GNIB where they managed to send a letter regarding my wife's visa to my old address despite me updating the new address with them last year they sent this letter to my old address over a year ago

When I tried to explain the case to one of them the detective garda immediately started shouting at me for no reason when I actually told her could she please stop shouting at me and check the address on the computer she refused o asked her what do I need to do she said shouting at me might I add I DON'T KNOW It this point there was 3 Gardai behind the glass shouting at me I asked them there names and ID numbers they refused to give them to me, I asked for a supervisor they refused, I then asked for a copy of the letter that was sent to me she refused to give it to me but she was nice enough to let me read it through the glass!!!! She told me to phone a number after I asked if I would have to queue for 6 hours again and I wouldn't have to queue once I got onto dpt of justice to see what the problem is I left the hatch and went to reception and asked again to speak to a supervisor the guy on reception went behind and came out and said to me that the garda and her boss where talking about me there and he wouldn't see me as I know what I need to do even though I got no info!!!!

When I got home I phoned the number she gave me 4 times they hung up on me and when I got to speak to someone he said ah yeah I remember you I was there no one shouted at you and you where treated right I just hung up and dealt with justice

So in short I don't really care if morale in the force is low, their pay is not good, their under resourced and blah blah blah fact is they can do whatever it is they want they are beyond the reaches of the law they really don't want to do any work whatsoever.
    The only thing that they are interested in is assisting banks throwing people out of their homes and prosecuting motorists in fact this is true because in the last 5 years revenue from fines is up but crime and serious crime detection rates are down I could give many other examples

I hate them they are by far other than politicians the lowest form of existence in this country!!!!!

Holy fcuk, please learn to use some full stops. That's impossible to read.

• Advertisement

PS I'm Irish

Was this in the main GNIB place in Dublin? Don't civilians work behind the glass?

Lol yeah I just went through everything and forgot bout the punctuation!!!!

Was this in the main GNIB place in Dublin? Don't civilians work behind the glass?

No this was a garda she identified herself as a detective garda from upstairs!

When I asked could I are some ID she said I don't have to show you so either she was lying and she wasn't a garda or she was and flat out refused to show me her ID either way was very unprofessional

But this is what I mean they can do anything they want and nothing happens!!!

No this was a garda she identified herself as a detective garda from upstairs!

When I asked could I are some ID she said I don't have to show you so either she was lying and she wasn't a garda or she was and flat out refused to show me her ID either way was very unprofessional

But this is what I mean they can do anything they want and nothing happens!!!

Do you really think anyone believes this cock and bull story ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I read it. Sounded pretty usual. I have to go in to get forms signed by the gards for work stuff - I dread it, as does everyone else who gets roped in to do it - they make a simple, routine job a pita with their arsey attitude. They also have f.all manners, as it happens. :) My s.i.l is a gard, btw.

LOL. you're flat out these days Pils, eh.

LOL. you're flat out these days Pils, eh.

People who spend a lot of time interacting with the Gardai do so for a reason. "I'm innocent guv!" "honest!" "Ive' been fitted up!"

People who spend a lot of time interacting with the Gardai do so for a reason. "I'm innocent guv!" "honest!" "Ive' been fitted up!"

Cool. I just get clearance forms and tax forms stamped. I guess that must be an odd reason. You are a strange poster Piliger, if I didn't know better, I'd say you're a real pro. ;)

Well seeing as my wife was with me and there was 5 foreign Nationals watching this as it went on its quite true I can assure you

Your obviously a garda or your mates a garda and you have the we are whiter than white opinion

Cop yourself on and stop being blind to the facts that these things happen

• Advertisement

Well seeing as my wife was with me and there was 5 foreign Nationals watching this as it went on its quite true I can assure you

Your obviously a garda or your mates a garda and you have the we are whiter than white opinion

Cop yourself on and stop being blind to the facts that these things happen

Some people take a view. Others ram a view. Others still influence mass views. Go figure which is which.

Some people take a view. Others ram a view. Others still influence mass views. Go figure which is which.

I was responding to piliger stating that I'd made up a cock and bull story and telling him to open his eyes and to cop on

Apologies no offence intended

I was responding to piliger stating that I'd made up a cock and bull story and telling him to open his eyes and to cop on

Apologies no offence intended

You're mixing me up there oholly. I was the one agreeing with you.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

crockholm wrote: »
    IME about 75 % negative.Met far too many of them who thought that their Garda ID was a discount brochure

I think that's where the corruption in the Gardai begins. Lots of people are of the opinion that the Gardai are only corrupt at the very senior management levels but the reality is it is rife throughout the organisation and the use of the Garda ID badge to get free into nightclubs or get free food is where it all begins. Automatically if Gardai are getting freebies from some businesses but not for others well then they have a vested interest to protect (and never raid) nightclubs that let them in for free. People may not think that letting a Garda I to a nightclub for free on their night off does any harm but as with all corruption it starts out small and then expands when it's not nipped in the bud.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Generally the Gardai are grand to deal with but like any profession really you have some c*nts that love nothing more than to mess with ye.

There's a lot come out about the Gardai in recent years which if described here would have been dismissed as cock and bull. It's going back a few years (1993) but this report from the European Commision on the Prevention of Torture is still extremely worrying.
    17. Several of the allegations heard by the CPT's delegation related to Finglas Garda Station in Dublin. In consequence, the delegation decided to carry out a visit to that establishment. In the course of the visit, the delegation discovered a large number of non standard-issue weapons in the areas and, more particularly, in the desk drawers and lockers, used by the detective unit based there.
    Those items included various home-made wooden batons (quite unlike ordinary police truncheons) and a variety of real and replica guns (e.g. two sawn-off shotguns, a pipe pistol, a bolt gun, a replica of a Beretta 9mm pistol) several hunting knives, and a short, leather-covered metal cosh.

18. It was advanced by police officers that the above-mentioned items had been confiscated from detainees and would be, or had been, produced in court as evidence. However, both the fact that none of those items bore labels or other means of identification, and the fact that they were found in drawers and lockers in different parts of the police station, undermines the credibility of that contention, as does the fact that certain other items, labelled as evidence, were found in a property store.

In typical garda fashion the police involved were indignant that their lockers had been broken into.

• Advertisement

Here's my two cents for what we can start to do about Garda corruption.

A) An immediate across the board salary cut of 15% to be reviewed in five years on the basis of improved performance in that period.

B) A relaxation of Ireland's privacy laws so that Gardai can be filmed and recorded in public places where there is a reasonable belief they may be involved in illegal activity.

C) All allegations of Garda corruption/malpractise to be dealt with in public by a Dail/Seanad subcommittee with the power to dismiss and remove pension privileges.

Here's my two cents for what we can start to do about Garda corruption.

A) An immediate across the board salary cut of 15% to be reviewed in five years on the basis of improved performance in that period.

B) A relaxation of Ireland's privacy laws so that Gardai can be filmed and recorded in public places where there is a reasonable belief they may be involved in illegal activity.

C) All allegations of Garda corruption/malpractise to be dealt with in public by a Dail/Seanad subcommittee with the power to dismiss and remove pension privileges.

I like the first idea that could work but in reality we need a system like in the states with IAD internal affairs

A department that has unlimited powers to investigate goings on in the Gardai the obudsman is a toothless dog

I like the first idea that could work but in reality we need a system like in the states with IAD internal affairs

A department that has unlimited powers to investigate goings on in the Gardai the obudsman is a toothless dog

Think it has to come from outside the Gardai though. I think it's too small a force to allow for a really independent division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I was in court over 10 years ago for dangerous driving. I was in heavy traffic, turned a corner, had a completely empty bit of road ahead and decided to stretch the cars legs. The car was a Mivec Lancer which was loud enough when given the beans. 2 gardai on the beat ran out in front of me and long story short took the car because there was no insurance cert in the window. (it was insured.) I got a total of 13 summons's in spite of producing everything in order to get the car back.

In court, the guard lied through his teeth saying I slid the whole car around the corner and nearly hit a group of children, to say he exaggerated is an understatement. It was pure fantasy. So fantastic that the judge threw the case out. She quizzed the guard on how many children there were, and the idiot replied, "none judge, but he'd have hit them if they were crossing the road."

I have to say, I took pleasure in taunting him outside the court, saying if he hadn't spoofed, he'd have got me.

Think it has to come from outside the Gardai though. I think it's too small a force to allow for a really independent division.

Exactly bring in ex police from other forces to investigate the garda

• Advertisement
Advertisement