Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How bad are the Gardai and what do we do about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think that's where the corruption in the Gardai begins. Lots of people are of the opinion that the Gardai are only corrupt at the very senior management levels but the reality is it is rife throughout the organisation and the use of the Garda ID badge to get free into nightclubs or get free food is where it all begins. Automatically if Gardai are getting freebies from some businesses but not for others well then they have a vested interest to protect (and never raid) nightclubs that let them in for free. People may not think that letting a Garda I to a nightclub for free on their night off does any harm but as with all corruption it starts out small and then expands when it's not nipped in the bud.

Spot on !!!
    I really don't want to be seen as some poster who says "fck da police" just for shyts and giggles-I know Gardai who are professional and courteous and genuinely want to make their communities a better Place.

It just irked the fck outta me when a guard who would be using his ID to get into the club and residents bar one week could be bollocking you the next week over opening hours.

It just smacks of official Ireland,that if one of their members fcks up bad the shutters come down quickly and a "nothing to see here,move along" mentality comes to the fore.

P.S.- I much preferred it when guards stationed in a Town would actually live in that Town-nobody knows the new cops,how can you have an affinity towards them when your only interaction with them is them clearing you out of a pub at 1 a.m. in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭oholly121

crockholm wrote: »
    Spot on !!!
    I really don't want to be seen as some poster who says "fck da police" just for shyts and giggles-I know Gardai who are professional and courteous and genuinely want to make their communities a better Place.

It just irked the fck outta me when a guard who would be using his ID to get into the club and residents bar one week could be bollocking you the next week over opening hours.

It just smacks of official Ireland,that if one of their members fcks up bad the shutters come down quickly and a "nothing to see here,move along" mentality comes to the fore.

P.S.- I much preferred it when guards stationed in a Town would actually live in that Town-nobody knows the new cops,how can you have an affinity towards them when your only interaction with them is them clearing you out of a pub at 1 a.m. in the morning?

I couldn't agree more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I work in law and have dealt with them on the civil and criminal side. My opinion is that they do an excellent job with the resources they are given.

You will always hear stories of a rude garda or a garda who seemed to take the pIss (posing for a photo with folk on a night out, letting a RTA go for someone charming them) and the inevitable corrupt garda. But when do we hear of them being rewarded for little things like sending a car around to an estate where a dodgy character was reported, helping a drunk person into a taxi for their own good or even giving directions to a lost civilian?

We all need to realise that the GardaI depend on the community for information and support, they don't operate in isolation to us, they maintain the invisible barriers (laws) that we as a society have decided are necessary for all of us to live safe and comfortable lives.

I hope only a few people actually have disdain for the gardai.

You believe their lies too ? I've seen a state solicitor back up lies of guards. I've seen solicitors who are representing people screw people over because they are in well with the guards in question. But I've also seen people fight back.
    I know a guy who had to represent himself as no solicitor would dish the dirt on corrupt guards.
    And he did represent himself, he put the guards on the stand and he ran rings around them. Guards who again are willing to put their hand on a bible and swear to tell the truth and continue to lie. I'm sorry but in my eyes anyone who does that is simply a scumbag.
    The trouble is guard had no evidence to back up his lies, while guy defending himself had plenty. He got banned for 12 years and 10 months in prison for made up traffic offences .
    Guards claiming that they stopped him when they never did. He asked guard on stand '' how come you never done me for no tax that day you imaginary stopped me''
    Judge had to tell guard to speak up, he mumbled but had no answer . He left court with tail between his legs while all charges were dismissed.

This guy is not finished yet though, he's going to the high court. He will probably end up with huge compensation for unlawfully imprisonment thanks to corrupt guards.
    Now the same guards try to provoke a reaction out of him on street, trying to get him to smash their faces.Anything to arrest him and get him for something. Of course I advice him to do his fighting in the courtroom .
    This guy is the nicest guy you could meet. He's from London ,but both mom and dad are Irish. He's too smart for carrot crunching guards.

And just the other day I saw it for myself, I witnessed these guards trying to provoke him.
    I can't help but lose all respect for guards when I see these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

crockholm wrote: »
    Spot on !!!

And it costs nothing to be polite. I've never had an issue with guards,but recently I had one talk to me in a ignorant way. Of course I happened to be with that guy in my previous post at the time.
    I'm the type who keeps very much above the law. Who drives too slow and keeps vehicles in top shape.
    So it's hard to take to be talked to like I'm some scumbag. I'm a very down to earth shy person and I must admit it got to me to be talked to like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭oholly121

You believe their lies too ? I've seen a state solicitor back up lies of guards. I've seen solicitors who are representing people screw people over because they are in well with the guards in question. But I've also seen people fight back.
    I know a guy who had to represent himself as no solicitor would dish the dirt on corrupt guards.
    And he did represent himself, he put the guards on the stand and he ran rings around them. Guards who again are willing to put their hand on a bible and swear to tell the truth and continue to lie. I'm sorry but in my eyes anyone who does that is simply a scumbag.
    The trouble is guard had no evidence to back up his lies, while guy defending himself had plenty. He got banned for 12 years and 10 months in prison for made up traffic offences .
    Guards claiming that they stopped him when they never did. He asked guard on stand '' how come you never done me for no tax that day you imaginary stopped me''
    Judge had to tell guard to speak up, he mumbled but had no answer . He left court with tail between his legs while all charges were dismissed.

This guy is not finished yet though, he's going to the high court. He will probably end up with huge compensation for unlawfully imprisonment thanks to corrupt guards.
    Now the same guards try to provoke a reaction out of him on street, trying to get him to smash their faces.Anything to arrest him and get him for something. Of course I advice him to do his fighting in the courtroom .
    This guy is the nicest guy you could meet. He's from London ,but both mom and dad are Irish. He's too smart for carrot crunching guards.

And just the other day I saw it for myself, I witnessed these guards trying to provoke him.
    I can't help but lose all respect for guards when I see these things.

Same thing happened to a god friend of mine he best guards in court now they consistently pull him over for no reason

Absolute corruption of the highest order

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Trying to read some of these posts is giving me a headache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I voted

"There grand"

But seriously, There are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

So the OP saw someone lying in court. Wouldnt be the first time this happened. The legal system twists everything because everyone wants to win. In a case theres usually 3 versions of events. Your version, my version, and the truth. What galls me about court cases is when plainly guilty people are left off on technicalities because of procedural errors usually by gardai. A man is arrested for drunk driving. Found to be 4 times over the limit. When case goes to court observant legal team points out to judge that wrong townland was entered by gardai for location of arrest. Only out by ten feet. Seemingly checkpoint was set up on bridge at boundary of 2 townlands. Man gets off scot free but within six months crashes into another car again while drunk. If he was banned in first instance nobody would have been hurt in second event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

What a lot of people get mixed up is the difference between an garda siochana as an organisation and the every day guard on the street. One is over paid,wasteful and downright corrupt to itts core,the otherr is under paid, stressed to the balls because of previously mentioned waste(of funds and time) and trying to do a difficult job made more difficult by the other. As an organisation it needs to be stripped and built back up and kept out of the hands of those who have made a healthy living from screwing the system them implanted to uit themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

c_man wrote: »
    I say we rise up. Infuriated by the constant "Criminal getting an easy sentence" AH threads, I'm of the opinion that we should disband the Gardai and instead have justice administered by Judge Dredd style law.
    It's the judges that pass sentence, not the guards. It must be frustrating for them as well to see the pathetically lenient sentences handed down to repeat offenders. The judges in this country happily accept the excuse of a criminal having done something under the influence of drugs or alcohol as justification for crimes. I think that they should carry a heavier sentence, not be a mitigating factor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The vast majority of the Gardaí are doing a fine job under difficult circumstances.
    I'd agree 100%, however the problem is there is a culture of omerta and backing up other members of the force and this extends to the vast majority of the force doing a good job. They're very slow to out one of their own, even when they know they're bad/corrupt/awful at their job. There is very much a them and us and protected species attitude going on. I can well understand why too. They do have to deal with unreal crap on a near daily basis, but this omerta culture needs to be addressed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

I think they do a great job under the circumstances and the abuse they face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I read it. Sounded pretty usual. I have to go in to get forms signed by the gards for work stuff - I dread it, as does everyone else who gets roped in to do it - they make a simple, routine job a pita with their arsey attitude. They also have f.all manners, as it happens. :) My s.i.l is a gard, btw.

I agree with that, only last week I lost my drivers license. So I rang Finglas station to ask if they had any forms to get a new one. I knew the form has to be stamped by a Garda so it made sense to go down there, fill it out and then get it stamped by producing a passport and evidence of address. So down I go the next morning but low and behold they don't have any forms, despite being told the previous evening that they do. He told me I'd get one on the website but my printer is broke so I needed a physical copy. So he suggested I go to Cabra, Ballymun or Santry station to get one. So I set off for Ballymun, got there, went in but they didn't have any forms and said go to Santry. At Santry the Guard told me that they no longer stock them and that I'd have to go to the NDLS Centre to get one. Down I went there to finally get one and back to the same guy in Santry to get it stamped but he tells me he can't stamp it because I don't live in their district and would have to go back to Finglas to get it stamped. I explained to him the entire story but he wasn't being flexible in the slightest so back to Finglas I go, pretty pissed off at this stage at dealing with bureaucracy. Finally got it stamped there and then had to drive all the way back to Santry again so I could go to the NDLS to apply for a replacement license. Once that was done I drove all the way back to Finglss again to get home.

You'd think it would have been a simple job to get a form stamped but it took me nearly three hours in the end. This was because a) a Garda on the phone told me there was forms in the Finglss station when there wasn't and b) because the Garda at both Finglas and Ballymun didn't know that their stations no longer stock driver license application forms. Their lack of knowledge cost me the best part of three hours going from pillar to post. They could not perform even the most basic of tasks competently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

How does a garda make dectective? Is it by applying or is it by showing iniative?

And 1st thing that should be done to sort out the mess is, get rid of the damn quotas, freeing police to focus on doing important work, otherwise they are just tax collectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Here's my two cents for what we can start to do about Garda corruption.

A) An immediate across the board salary cut of 15% to be reviewed in five years on the basis of improved performance in that period.

B)A relaxation of Ireland's privacy laws so that Gardai can be filmed and recorded in public places where there is a reasonable belief they may be involved in illegal activity.

C) All allegations of Garda corruption/malpractise to be dealt with in public by a Dail/Seanad subcommittee with the power to dismiss and remove pension privileges.

You can film anything you like including Gards in a public area, they might not like it and get arsey with you, threaten to sieze your phone/camera etc but there is no law in place that prevents you from doing it despite what they might tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

RustyNut wrote: »
    You can film anything you like including Gards in a public area, they might not like it and get arsey with you, threaten to sieze your phone/camera etc but there is no law in place that prevents you from doing it despite what they might tell you.

We should film the sh1htheads and knackers a lot more. And post them to Youtube and to the Gardai !

Piliger wrote: »
    We should film the sh1htheads and knackers a lot more. And post them to Youtube and to the Gardai !

Sometimes it can be hard to tell just who are the sh1theads and knackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

How does a garda make dectective? Is it by applying or is it by showing iniative?

And 1st thing that should be done to sort out the mess is, get rid of the damn quotas, freeing police to focus on doing important work, otherwise they are just tax collectors.

The are no quotas. This is a myth. That's not to say a Garda won't be pulled up on a lack of work but there's no specific targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

I have found that whenever i have come into contact with them they are grumpy dopes who have a chip on their shoulders.
    Anytime i've gone to a station for some form stamp they're extremely unhelpful and rude
    Anytime i've been stopped at a checkpoint for car insurance, breathalyzer etc. they make smart arse comments like they're trying to get me to say something. I never disrespect them or stoop to their level, but i guess a young male in a car is not what they like to see
    Someone at works daughter once had her bag stolen in Dublin. The guards did nothing but lectured her that she shouldn't have been sitting on the top floor of the bus. Blame the victim, do nothing to the perp

It scares me that the level of corruption exposed was being blatantly ignored. I have no faith that anything will happen to them or anything will change except another stupid committee will be formed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

They are a fine body of men and women.

I've always noticed that the people who castigate them are the first to run to them when it suits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

The first indication that someone probably shouldn't be a Garda, is that they want to be a Garda.
    So competent guards are only the ones who didn't want to be a guard but somehow ended up becoming one anyway...? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

EyeSight wrote: »
    I have found that whenever i have come into contact with them they are grumpy dopes who have a chip on their shoulders.
    Anytime i've gone to a station for some form stamp they're extremely unhelpful and rude
    Anytime i've been stopped at a checkpoint for car insurance, breathalyzer etc. they make smart arse comments like they're trying to get me to say something. I never disrespect them or stoop to their level, but i guess a young male in a car is not what they like to see
    Someone at works daughter once had her bag stolen in Dublin. The guards did nothing but lectured her that she shouldn't have been sitting on the top floor of the bus. Blame the victim, do nothing to the perp

It scares me that the level of corruption exposed was being blatantly ignored. I have no faith that anything will happen to them or anything will change except another stupid committee will be formed

This is how they are thought in templemore, total ignorance to the public, any normal person who joins the Garda wont be the same person when they leave that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Remember years ago one of the lads mother worked with me and he was going for the guards at the time," he would make a great guard" she said, "he already has the ignorance". I laughed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Hitchens wrote: »
    They are a fine body of men and women.

I've always noticed that the people who castigate them are the first to run to them when it suits!

... and the ones who have been targets of the Gardai's interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

Welcome to Templemore

Whatever it is you think you know, Get it all out of your heads now,
    We'll tell everything you need to know..

A BanGarda told me that...

• Advertisement

This is how they are thought in templemore, total ignorance to the public, any normal person who joins the Garda wont be the same person when they leave that place.

How were you different when you left?

How were you different when you left?

?

?

Sorry, i assumed you went to Templemore as you had such knowledge of it's education program. I see now you were just full of ****.

Sorry, i assumed you went to Templemore as you had such knowledge of it's education program. I see now you were just full of ****.

So if your such a wise one tell me how it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The amount of pure sh1te being sprouted in this thread is unbelievable! :eek:

• Advertisement

What do you want to know? It's a college. It has lectures and exams. Both Garda and civilian staff do the lectures. There's exams of all kinds. I mean where do you think this ignorant behaviour is thought? In the legal classes?

Its thought from the top down, right down through the years, where else does this attitude come from, when you you meet a complete stranger in the street are you ignorant them?
    And i know its a collage, but how do you know that it is'nt thought in there.

Some stupid stuff on this thread like "They're scum" and "I hate them they are by far other than politicians the lowest form of existence in this country!!!!!" but...
    I think that's where the corruption in the Gardai begins. Lots of people are of the opinion that the Gardai are only corrupt at the very senior management levels but the reality is it is rife throughout the organisation and the use of the Garda ID badge to get free into nightclubs or get free food is where it all begins. Automatically if Gardai are getting freebies from some businesses but not for others well then they have a vested interest to protect (and never raid) nightclubs that let them in for free. People may not think that letting a Garda I to a nightclub for free on their night off does any harm but as with all corruption it starts out small and then expands when it's not nipped in the bud.

Perfectly said. How can one "love" them the more they hear about them? :confused:

The Morris Tribunal, the plethora of revelations this year, the harassment Tom Gilmartin got... are people having a laugh when they say that's just a few bad apples? It is a *culture* of corruption. I'd say the worst of it is only concentrated in small towns/rural communities, but that is still a LOT more than "a few bad apples".
    And while bigger urban areas aren't where you'd find such corruption, the low-level stuff like the tearing up speeding tickets, the freebies in bars etc just because they're guards... it's still crooked.

Their actual competence at law enforcement is linked to the above obviously but also separate. I think they are too under-resourced to do a good enough job overall, so I can't justify blaming them on that score.

I've had the usual minor dealings with guards and they were always lovely, including two occasions when I was in the wrong (exceeding the speed limit) so I don't doubt they are mostly grand. And you'll only hear about the bad stuff.
    But the element of bad is too significant to wave away as "a few bad apples".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Wait a sec.. aren't those the things cops are supposed to do and get paid for?

Gardaí are paid to enforce the law. Aside from the initial example (susp male in an estate), the other examples are not part of the job. It's community involvement. Someone a few pages back mentioned something along the lines of it being wrong for a Garda to pose for pictures. I think that it's something that should happen a lot more. What's the harm in posing and having a chat while on the beat? As long as the member is still aware of what's going on around them, and intervene when needed, there's nothing wrong with it. And those who do get the photo are grateful and left with a positive image.

But, all they need is for someone in power to tell them to stop doing non-job related tasks, like helping someone with a flat tyre, helping an older person across the road, etc, and they'll stop. And be hated even more for it. A (good) Garda does so much extra, non-crime related work, but it all goes un-noticed or someone takes an issue with it.
    If we look at the numbers alone, the results so far in this poll show about 50% have serious concerns about the gardai, slightly less than a recent poll carried out by a reputable body and published in a major newspaper. You're argument therefore dictates that 50% of the population are either lunatics/criminals or have had an unpleasant experience with a corrupt guard.

Personally, I'd estimate about 15/20% (asking for it, I know :)) of the population as lunatics/criminals which leaves us with 30% of the population as having had a bad experience with a small minority of corrupt gardai.

That simply doesn't add up. It suggests that either a small minority of corrupt gardai are running riot or that corruption is more widespread than you allow.

Or that it's 99% of the time that the negative aspects of the job are highlighted, whereas maybe 1% of the good work is highlighted. People don't go out of their way to give praise, but will move mountains to give out.
    Another telling example here (aside from what I personally experienced this week which I appreciate cannot be validated) is the treatment dished out to Maurice McCabe since he returned to work.

Here we have an honest and courageous individual (and I think we can all finally ;) agree on this) who is subject to widespread harassment on his return to work.

Surely if it was only a small minority, the decent majority would not stand for this?

I can't speak about the harrassment he may be receiving, but if he is then it should be investigated properly. However, i would like to point out that he's not this beacon of perfection people are making him out to be. The report that was released showed him as someone who was not capable of making correct decisions, someone with poor interpersonal skills and someone who was not a very good Sergeant.
    Bafucin wrote: »
    I know of a friend who got a record 'cleaned' because his mate was a guard.

They are not good at sticking to the letter.

It's not possible to get your "record cleaned". Once it's on the system, it stays on the system. It cannot be removed. Your friend is either lieing, or was never seriously in trouble.
    oholly121 wrote: »
    So in short I don't really care if morale in the force is low, their pay is not good, their under resourced and blah blah blah fact is they can do whatever it is they want they are beyond the reaches of the law they really don't want to do any work whatsoever.
    The only thing that they are interested in is assisting banks throwing people out of their homes and prosecuting motorists in fact this is true because in the last 5 years revenue from fines is up but crime and serious crime detection rates are down I could give many other examples

I hate them they are by far other than politicians the lowest form of existence in this country!!!!!

Wow. Just wow. Way to generalise. Gardaí have no interest in kicking people out of their homes (career criminals possibly an exception). They are required to assist, to ensure no breach of the peace, while an instrument of the state (the Sheriff) executes a legal document requiring repossession of the house, which would more than likely have been avoided if the person who was in the house came to an agreement with the banks regarding repayments. They don't kick everyone out, just those unwilling to come to agreed terms. But that's a different thread.

As for prosecuting motorists, if people drove legally and courteously, there wouldn't be a need for a Traffic Corps or fines. These are there to stop people from breaking Road Traffic Law, and anyone will tell you that there are so many idiot and dangerous motorists on the road that we could do with more checkpoints. Trust me, management in AGS would be more than happy to use the Traffic Corps members for regular and specialised units, but the fact is that they're needed. And, as i said, no one would get a ticket if they stuck to the rules of the road.

I think people that generalise are the second lowest form of existence in this country, just behind criminals.
    ... the use of the Garda ID badge to get free into nightclubs or get free food is where it all begins. Automatically if Gardai are getting freebies from some businesses but not for others well then they have a vested interest to protect (and never raid) nightclubs that let them in for free. People may not think that letting a Garda I to a nightclub for free on their night off does any harm but as with all corruption it starts out small and then expands when it's not nipped in the bud.

I've never actually seen a Garda use his badge. I have seen off duty members getting into clubs for free, but i have seen the same members checking those nightclubs and pubs, and i've seen the same members clear out the clubs/pubs when they're still open passed closing time. There is obviously a silent agreement between that member and the club, as the club know he's doing his job, and helps them out when necessary (what people working in a club seriously want to still be there after closing time?). In return, they just don't charge that member into the club (even if he wants to pay!), but know full well he'll drop a large amount of money inside there on booze. Works both ways. And Gardaí are not the only ones who get into clubs for free. You think the security and staff pay to get in on their nights off? Same for friends of the management or even security.
    Here's my two cents for what we can start to do about Garda corruption.

A) An immediate across the board salary cut of 15% to be reviewed in five years on the basis of improved performance in that period.

B) A relaxation of Ireland's privacy laws so that Gardai can be filmed and recorded in public places where there is a reasonable belief they may be involved in illegal activity.

C) All allegations of Garda corruption/malpractise to be dealt with in public by a Dail/Seanad subcommittee with the power to dismiss and remove pension privileges.

A: The state hasn't taken enough off them at this stage no? Take any more, and i guarantee the force will get worse because who would be willing to put themselves out of the way for a Government who takes most of their wages? They'll still do the job, but there will be no proactive policing, and morale will go even lower (if possible) and this will have a knock on effect to the public. Instead, how about paying them more and making sure that management are doing their job and ensuring that their members are carrying out their duties properly and efficiently, instead of hitting the worse off (within the force) again? Everyone would do sweet FA at work if there wasn't management to keep them in line. That's what AGS is missing.

B: As someone else already pointed out, anyone can record anything in public. So the point is moot.

C: So you want corruption within AGS to be dealt with by possibly the most corrupt organisation in the country? How about setting up a separate organisation to investigate allegations of corruption, an organisation that has no affiliation to the Government, AGS, or anyone else.
    ...A man is arrested for drunk driving. Found to be 4 times over the limit. When case goes to court observant legal team points out to judge that wrong townland was entered by gardai for location of arrest. Only out by ten feet. Seemingly checkpoint was set up on bridge at boundary of 2 townlands. Man gets off scot free but within six months crashes into another car again while drunk. If he was banned in first instance nobody would have been hurt in second event.

There are 50+ points to prove in a Drink Driving case. Sherlock Holmes himself can make a mistake when that many points need to be proven. A single syntax error seems to be enough to get off drink driving. Drink Driving cases should be simplified, but that will never happen. It's getting harder and harder to prosecute criminals, and nothing is being done to help those doing the prosecuting. I'll admit that some law needs that level of perfection (murder, rape, etc), but in the example you gave, that should have been open and shut. Who cares if the townland was incorrect by a few feet, he was caught 4 times over the limit, on a public road, that should be enough. But it's not.
    I agree with that... (long post about a driving licence) ...They could not perform even the most basic of tasks competently.

So, it's the Gardas fault that there were no forms there the day after you rang? It's the Gardas fault that they cannot stamp a form for an address in a different district? (That's procedure, by the way, same for a passport - him stamping it would have ended up in the form being returned and it taking longer). And not all stations get the forms, but normally the Divisional or District Headquarters do, so that's why some stations have them, others don't. You could also have gotten the form online, in the Motor Tax office, Post Offices and, as you got it, in the NDLS centres. You could have avoided it all by going straight to the NDLS centre to get the form in the first place.

You didn't get through the training, did you? Your ignorance in that post is blissful.

Mostly classes learning law (there is quite a bit to learn, and you only get taught the main, recurring ones). A tiny bit of self defence (which is completely irrelevant once on the street), marching, small bit of fitness, small bits of first aid and swimming, Irish & French/German (pointless, imo), some random humanitarian classes, lectures from minority representative groups, thesis classes, computers (ie: Pulse). There's some other classes, but nothing of note. Mainly, attempting to learn the law.
    Welcome to Templemore

Whatever it is you think you know, Get it all out of your heads now,
    We'll tell everything you need to know..

A BanGarda told me that...

She's right, because regardless of what you think you know about criminal law, you're probably wrong. They prefer people with little to no knowledge of criminal law, because they're the ones that learn something new, rather than correct something they thought they knew. And, it's not everything, it's very little actually, the real learning begins when they get the badge and go do the job.

I did a long post in another thread about the blurred line between corruption and discretion, and still stand by my point that discretion is corruption, regardless of how it's looked at. However, without discretion, everyone would be arrested for everything. Maybe that'd be better, people would get what they're looking for, until it's them that's being arrested for careless driving by barely going over the white line in the middle of the road, or stopping in a junction box, or simply smoking a cigarette while driving (can be construed as same, you're not giving 100% to your driving). Discrection is needed, and for that to be utilised, it is a form of corruption. Where's the line???

@rolliepoley, it's not thought in there. Trust me. There's not enough time to learn all the law, let alone how to be a prick of a Guard.

In return, they just don't charge that member into the club (even if he wants to pay!), but know full well he'll drop a large amount of money inside there on booze. Works both ways. And Gardaí are not the only ones who get into clubs for free. You think the security and staff pay to get in on their nights off? Same for friends of the management or even security.

Bit of moonlighting, is fine then I suppose. So you've never heard of this happening, but then go on to make a "hypothetical" argument which pretty much says the club don't charge the garda admission in turn for a bit of after hours clear out?
    In return, they just don't charge that member into the club (even if he wants to pay!), but know full well he'll drop a large amount of money inside there on booze.

Oh the poor honest copper? Trying to pay with all his might but.... "Your money's no good here sir!"

I'm afraid this is as close to taking a bribe as anything else I've heard on this thread. In business we actually cannot accept gifts under these circumstances at all costs, its called ethics!

This, it seems is the issue with cops and politicians, not bright enough to know when you're supposed to deny something outright.

1st day on the job, Sargent says:

"Listen lads! If in doubt, deny deny deny, for the love of god don't elaborate because then you're engaging your own brain and lets face it, you don't end up on the force with one of those! You'd be out making real money"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Bit of moonlighting, is fine then I suppose. So you've never heard of this happening, but then go on to make a "hypothetical" argument which pretty much says the club don't charge the garda admission in turn for a bit of after hours clear out?

Who said anything about moonlighting? Anyway, i never said i never heard of it happening, i've just never seen a Garda blatently flash his badge to gain access, unlike what posts on here would have you believe. If there is some agreement between security/management and the local Gardaí, then so be it. What can you do if someone doesn't take the money? Throw it away? No, you spend it inside. And it's not in turn for a favour, it's a gesture to the Garda, nothing more. Clubs/Pubs get treated no differently as long as they obey the law and close when they're supposed to close. I'll also point out that this doesn't happen in every nightclub.
    Oh the poor honest copper? Trying to pay with all his might but.... "Your money's no good here sir!"

I'm afraid this is as close to taking a bribe as anything else I've heard on this thread. In business we actually cannot accept gifts under these circumstances at all costs, its called ethics!

Taking a bribe. Jesus wept. Who is this injuring in any way? Who is going to have their life ruined because a Garda didn't pay the €5 to get into the club? A bribe is "dishonestly persuade (someone) to act in one's favour by a gift of money or other inducement." Where is that? What favour is the Garda doing in return for free entry? No money is exchanging hands. It's as far removed from a bribe as you are from common sense. And it's not a gift in my opinion. A gift would be free booze, not waiving a charge that a lot of other people don't pay either. Door charges should be gotten rid of anyway, it's a scam.
    This, it seems is the issue with cops and politicians, not bright enough to know when you're supposed to deny something outright.

And now you're saying that the Gardaí should deny everything? You don't want them to come out and tell the truth? Make up your mind! Sorry, it's already made up, no matter what is said or done you have an issue with AGS for whatever reason.
    1st day on the job, Sargent says:

"Listen lads! If in doubt, deny deny deny, for the love of god don't elaborate because then you're engaging your own brain and lets face it, you don't end up on the force with one of those! You'd be out making real money"

Right ya, i see you have a complete understanding of the inner workings of AGS. Shur why don't you write a book with all these quotes and inside info, and call it a factual account of AGS. :rolleyes:

Who said anything about moonlighting? Anyway, i never said i never heard of it happening, i've just never seen a Garda blatently flash his badge to gain access, unlike what posts on here would have you believe. If there is some agreement between security/management and the local Gardaí, then so be it. What can you do if someone doesn't take the money? Throw it away? No, you spend it inside. And it's not in turn for a favour, it's a gesture to the Garda, nothing more. Clubs/Pubs get treated no differently as long as they obey the law and close when they're supposed to close. I'll also point out that this doesn't happen in every nightclub.

Taking a bribe. Jesus wept. Who is this injuring in any way? Who is going to have their life ruined because a Garda didn't pay the €5 to get into the club? A bribe is "dishonestly persuade (someone) to act in one's favour by a gift of money or other inducement." Where is that? What favour is the Garda doing in return for free entry? No money is exchanging hands. It's as far removed from a bribe as you are from common sense. And it's not a gift in my opinion. A gift would be free booze, not waiving a charge that a lot of other people don't pay either. Door charges should be gotten rid of anyway, it's a scam.

And now you're saying that the Gardaí should deny everything? You don't want them to come out and tell the truth? Make up your mind! Sorry, it's already made up, no matter what is said or done you have an issue with AGS for whatever reason.

Right ya, i see you have a complete understanding of the inner workings of AGS. Shur why don't you write a book with all these quotes and inside info, and call it a factual account of AGS. :rolleyes:

LMAO, satire and sarcasm is lost on the average copper too it seems!

LMAO, satire and sarcasm is lost on the average copper too it seems!

And if you don't see any issue with not paying a standard charge, then you are of pretty dubious morales and definitely copper material!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

Magaggie wrote: »
    Some stupid stuff on this thread like "They're scum" and "I hate them they are by far other than politicians the lowest form of existence in this country!!!!!" but...

Perfectly said. How can one "love" them the more they hear about them? :confused:

The Morris Tribunal, the plethora of revelations this year, the harassment Tom Gilmartin got... are people having a laugh when they say that's just a few bad apples? It is a *culture* of corruption. I'd say the worst of it is only concentrated in small towns/rural communities, but that is still a LOT more than "a few bad apples".
    And while bigger urban areas aren't where you'd find such corruption, the low-level stuff like the tearing up speeding tickets, the freebies in bars etc just because they're guards... it's still crooked.

Their actual competence at law enforcement is linked to the above obviously but also separate. I think they are too under-resourced to do a good enough job overall, so I can't justify blaming them on that score.

I've had the usual minor dealings with guards and they were always lovely, including two occasions when I was in the wrong (exceeding the speed limit) so I don't doubt they are mostly grand. And you'll only hear about the bad stuff.
    But the element of bad is too significant to wave away as "a few bad apples".

what does a planning tribunal and tom gilmartin have to do with the gardai ?? seem to be different issues ??

what does a planning tribunal and tom gilmartin have to do with the gardai ?? seem to be different issues ??
    Morris Tribunal, not Moriarty.

Tom Gilmartin was told to **** off back to England by a guard.

• Advertisement

You didn't get through the training, did you? Your ignorance in that post is blissful.

Right so i'am clueless/ i dont know.

Mostly classes learning law (there is quite a bit to learn, and you only get taught the main, recurring ones). A tiny bit of self defence (which is completely irrelevant once on the street), marching, small bit of fitness, small bits of first aid and swimming, Irish & French/German (pointless, imo), some random humanitarian classes, lectures from minority representative groups, thesis classes, computers (ie: Pulse). There's some other classes, but nothing of note. Mainly, attempting to learn the law.

Yet this does'nt, tell me that it is'nt thought there, and you also ask me this (You didn't get through the training, did you?) knowing quite well what the answer would be, and you laugh at my post.

@rolliepoley, it's not thought in there. Trust me. There's not enough time to learn all the law, let alone how to be a prick of a Guard.
    No thanks i'll stick with my ignorance of not knowing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Imo, the majority of Garda are dickheads. But there are those who are alright.

When you talk about the Garda being dicks there is that element of their job making them that way. It's a tough job and they can deal with scum on a daily basis.

But the other important aspect is that .. well, garda are just regular people under the uniforms and there are alot of assholes in this world. Doesn't matter what a person's job is. Another thing is power tripping - alot of people can change for the worst when given power.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kikidelvin

Again why the need for telling lies in order to get a conviction,can this not be done using honesty and truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

kikidelvin wrote: »
    Again why the need for telling lies in order to get a conviction,can this not be done using honesty and truth?

I didn't know all gardai told lies to get convictions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Shady Tady wrote: »
    I didn't know all gardai told lies to get convictions!

Talk about putting words in someones mouth there, Shady. At what point does kikidelvin mention the word "all"

or did you just read what you wanted to read ;) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

A majority of them I have come across are pure scumbags, harassing innocent people for no reason. I have no respect for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

masti123 wrote: »
    A majority of them I have come across are pure scumbags, harassing innocent people for no reason. I have no respect for them.

I wonder what they thought of you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

Hitchens wrote: »

It's not as if you can ring 11811 and ask for a list of police forces while you're being chased by a knife wielding maniac..... We're stuck with them. That's the problem! Give any organisation enough unquestioned power and corruption will follow. The solution is to regulate them. The culture needs to be shook up. Any bad apples need to be severely punished.

However, i would like to point out that he's not this beacon of perfection people are making him out to be. The report that was released showed him as someone who was not capable of making correct decisions, someone with poor interpersonal skills and someone who was not a very good Sergeant.

Can you post a link to the report that brands him a bad Sargent etc, or are you just joining the bullying of this man by bad mouthing him anonymously on the Internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I don't think people understand the "bad apple" metaphor. If there's one bad apple in a barrel, and it isn't removed, the rot spreads quickly until every apple is mush

Advertisement