Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caravan recommendations

Options
  • 06-06-2014 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for a lot of advise. We are planning on buying a caravan so please can you offer me advise on best makes/models. Good dealers or websites.

What we looking for. 6 berth and budget of €8,000. Twin wheel
    Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Hi

I'm looking for a lot of advise. We are planning on buying a campervan so please can you offer me advise on best makes/models. Good dealers or websites.

What we looking for. 6 berth and budget of €8,000. Twin wheel
    Many thanks

I presume you mean caravan, not campervan, all the twin wheel campervans will be over 3.5ton you'd need a c1 at least licence and you won't find anything servicable in that price range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nujbvi0pwref8c

Yes caravan I meant thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

don't expect to buy the first one you view.

we had an ancient 6 berth Avondale with a double bed at the front and two couches that folded into two pairs of bunks at the back.

great layout for 4 kids, and when visitors call, we can have 6 sitting at either end.

Last night be bought a new (to us) Elddis twin axle. same layout but a twin axle this time.

no damp and in really good conditions.

we had viewed several, but they all had either permemant bunks or two double beds.

no good for our kids.based on the fact that they'll fight like cats in a sack if we ask them to double up, and two are over 6 feet tall so wont fit in those little crossways bunks.

we went round several dealers and there were very few 6 berth vans to be had.

gumtree on the other hand seemed to have loads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Unless you really know what you are doing when buying a caravan, I would suggest that you try and get something from an established dealer. If there is a problem, you have come back and can get it fixed. If you buy privately, you get what you have bought, no warranty etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

You need to look at as many 6 berth caravans as you can to get an idea of the layout that might suit. A twin axle caravan is likely to be quite heavy and will need a large towcar so you are likely to be over 3.5T and will need the EB license. If you look in the back of a Practical Caravan magazine, they have all the different layouts available so that might give you an idea of what might suit you. The Caravan Channel website have reviews of different caravans that you could look at and see if any would suit. Think about what size bathroom you need, do you want a fixed double bed, what type of bunk beds, seating arrangements etc.

In you budget you are probably looking at around 2006-2007 depending on whether you buy privately or from a dealer. I would be very wary of buying privately if you don't know the previous owners but you can find the occasional gem. If you can get accessories included in the price they can be worth up to €1500 if you were to buy them new, look out for awning, water carriers, step, security devices, gas, tables, chairs.

It's really impossible to suggest any particular model without knowing your exact requirements as layout is down to individual circumstances. It can be expensive to import from the UK but there is so much more choice there that it may be worthwhile considering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Do a search here under caravans, few enough threads & most relate to buying. Adria's for instance do 6 Berth on single axle so a bit lighter and may not need the trailer licence. A theory going around (never saw it myself) that twin axle not welcome at some sites as a proxy for keeping travellers out (then tend to have twin axle), but maybe it's time to put that one to bed. Don't rule out UK, I bought there and v happy. Overall general advice is go cheap and cheerful at the start and upgrade after a year or two when know exactly what you want/whether it's for you at all.

Advertisement