Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The "Something is wrong with my bike" thread

• 06-06-2014 11:23pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This could be good - post a question and let the experts among us give us some expert advice!

So a very small issue with my blade... Last week I took off the cover and started the bike as I usually do, put on my helmet and gloces, and gently started rolling it backwards but I felt resistance and it stopped. Realised I had forgotten to take the lock off the front wheel. Duuuuuhhhhhhhhh!! :mad:

Anyway the bike is fine, braking performance is no different, but I noticed that engine off, when I move it I hear a slight rubbing sound. Basically the lock went up into the wheel between the brake discs, and I assume pushed them slightly outwards. Is this something I should be very concerned about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Are the brakes still working when press them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Zascar,

Usually when this happens you cannot notice anything as the speed or lack thereof was so small for the little impact. Best thing you can do is go for a spin and when moving at a fair pace break gradually, then break a little firmer after building up speed again. When breaking at say anything more then 40/50 mph that is where you will feel the slight imperfections on the discs if any damage has been done. It takes the speed of the wheel rotating to magnify the small imperfections that might be there as a result of the lock.

BTW,

Was it a disc lock or a heavy duty chain jobbie??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It was a chain lock, and the braking is fine even at high speed, its just a slight rubbish noise when I push it. Nothing to be concerned about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I done a hard enough launch with disc lock ok. Enough to push the front wheel about a foot or so forward and the disc lock had to be cut off as it was bent.

iv had no issues.

If you've problems you'll know immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Can you say with 100% confidence the rubbing wasn't there before hand and you're only noticing it now?.

Have you checked your brake pad wear?.

I've done that a few times, its horrible ~ worse one for me was tearing the sh*t out of a carbon fiber mug guard.. Or falling off in front of all my mates outside the pub lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

I'd say the sound was always there, you just weren't listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Check to see if your pistons are fully retracted?

Vikings wrote: »
    Check to see if your pistons are fully retracted?

How could they be retracted, if the brakes are working fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

They might not be retracting fully into the caliper and causing the pads to drag on the disc a little - brakes will still work fine but would explain the noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

My Fuel injection only kicks on about 50% of the time. Most times i start the bike I just keep turning it on and off until i hear the injection kick in. Otherwise the bike wont start. No FI errors or anything on the dash.

Any handy fix ideas? I haven't any spare cash to get it looked at professionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Dont they have a relay. Can go on k5/6 gsxrs

Vikings wrote: »
    They might not be retracting fully into the caliper and causing the pads to drag on the disc a little - brakes will still work fine but would explain the noise.

You think the pistons fully retract after each time the brakes are used.
    Yeah, if you have a tankslapper everytime maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

goodlad wrote: »
    My Fuel injection only kicks on about 50% of the time. Most times i start the bike I just keep turning it on and off until i hear the injection kick in. Otherwise the bike wont start. No FI errors or anything on the dash.

Any handy fix ideas? I haven't any spare cash to get it looked at professionally.

Maybe a loose connection somewhere? Follow the wires and see what you find?

On my last bike there was water getting into the fuel system somewhere, had a similar problem to you, could have a full tank and it'd give me trouble starting. Took the tank off 3 times and emptied the petrol and I was still having the same problem. In the end I had the whole system replaced under warranty as the shop couldn't figure out what the problem was, they thought there might have been a loose seal or something. I've since sold the bike so no idea if the problem reappeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Zascar wrote: »
    This could be good - post a question and let the experts among us give us some expert advice!

So a very small issue with my blade... Last week I took off the cover and started the bike as I usually do, put on my helmet and gloces, and gently started rolling it backwards but I felt resistance and it stopped. Realised I had forgotten to take the lock off the front wheel. Duuuuuhhhhhhhhh!! :mad:

Anyway the bike is fine, braking performance is no different, but I noticed that engine off, when I move it I hear a slight rubbing sound. Basically the lock went up into the wheel between the brake discs, and I assume pushed them slightly outwards. Is this something I should be very concerned about?

Probably just moved the pads slightly and it'll just sort itself out in time.
    Or, as someone else said, maybe that rubbing noise was always there or is unrelated to the lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Probably just kinked a slider, if there is no binding or brake shudder i would'nt worry to much, take the callipers off and clean and inspect them, check the mounting bolts aswell it could of kinked them, also watch for odd wear on the pads this could be a sign of warped disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

goodlad wrote: »

SV1000 you're on?

I've an SV650S and I've a similar problem - half the time when I turn on the bike the injection doesn't kick in but I do get the FI light on the dash. I've found that turning off the kill switch, then turning on the bike, then turning on the kill switch lets the FI kick in first time so I've been doing that for the past 65 months or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Here's a ****e one, I have my full test thursday morning and I recently realised my back break light doesn't actually function unless I depress the break lever at the foot pedal hard enough to lock the wheel. Anyone know how I could fix this quick smart tomorrow?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Does the brake light come on when you pull the front brake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Here's a ****e one, I have my full test thursday morning and I recently realised my back break light doesn't actually function unless I depress the break lever at the foot pedal hard enough to lock the wheel. Anyone know how I could fix this quick smart tomorrow?

Have you checked the switch that is at the back of the lever and does the light come on with front brake?

It never comes on at all with the front brake... which my dad said was normal... But now I'm thinking maybe not....

All fuses are good. Unless there are ones hidden that are not under the seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

light should come on with the front alright..

video should tell you how to adjust rear brake switch:

diff bike, but all done the same pretty much

Nice one lads, back brake light sorted, and the issue with the front identified, its a blown up light switch :pac: Hopefully I can find one today! If not I'm hoping I can get one off a buddy who has a later model bike just for tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Nice one lads, back brake light sorted, and the issue with the front identified, its a blown up light switch :pac: Hopefully I can find one today! If not I'm hoping I can get one off a buddy who has a later model bike just for tomorrow.

Just use the back brake anytime you use the front ;-)

Gonna have to :pac: Got the part, but it's just not working, though I know the part is in good condition. A fix for another time. Not going chasing wires and ripping them out a day before I badly need them in place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

that wont worry, the tester will get you to check the lights before the test, well you could be sly about it i suspose

lostboy75 wrote: »
    that wont worry, the tester will get you to check the lights before the test, well you could be sly about it i suspose

Fcuk.....

My dad sorted it for me last minute...being someone unwilling to mess with electrics myself, he bypassed the main loom and wired the front switch up with the rear switch. It's working grand anyway. :)

Advertisement