Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wrong examination number

• 06-06-2014 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

okay, so an awful thing happened to me after the maths exam today....yes i did what every single student in the country is told over and over again NOT to do, i didnt fill in my examination number until after the exam which i think i've put the wrong number in. so when the exam was over i stupidly realised that i hadnt put in my exam number...and instead of walking back to my seat and checking it i thought i remebered it and wrote it in at the super intendants desk. my problem is i think i've gotten in mixed up. for some reason i've always thought the number at the end of my exam number was a 4 but its not and now im going insane worrying that i've written some-one elses exam number on my paper.....please if anyone has any past experience or advice, im kind of in a desperate position here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

ave123 wrote: »
    okay, so an awful thing happened to me after the maths exam today....yes i did what every single student in the country is told over and over again NOT to do, i didnt fill in my examination number until after the exam which i think i've put the wrong number in. so when the exam was over i stupidly realised that i hadnt put in my exam number...and instead of walking back to my seat and checking it i thought i remebered it and wrote it in at the super intendants desk. my problem is i think i've gotten in mixed up. for some reason i've always thought the number at the end of my exam number was a 4 but its not and now im going insane worrying that i've written some-one elses exam number on my paper.....please if anyone has any past experience or advice, im kind of in a desperate position here.

You should probabaly contact the sec ASAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ave123

yes but im worried that they might not deal with these issues because i dont think the exam papers have been sent off yet.....i think i should notify the school first just to check the number but im not sure they can unseal the exams after they have been sealed, i really feel like such an idiot, cant acc believe i made this mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Your school can do nothing for you. The SEC are the people you need to talk to. Email them right now and call as soon as they are open.

Is it an important exam?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Ok I can see why you might be panicking but i don't think theres any need,The envelopes are sealed, and the SEC will have a record of all the exam numbers in your particular exam centre so it wont be too hard to figure out which one is the wrong one, I think you should contact the sec asap though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

You should be okay. On your desk you should have your exam number. The superintendent will go around during the exam and tick it off. After the exam, they should glance at it before you give it up. However, after the exam, they must ensure that all papers are given up for example if your schools numbers are 1 - 100 and there are 2 ones and no 2, or no thirty or whatever, that would then put alarm bells ringing!!

You should be okay. I remember thinking the same during the JC and calling Athlone and they explained that everything would be fine and so it was! Good luck with your exams!

• Advertisement

so i shouldnt talk to the super intendant about it first?....yeah i think i will contact the sec and see what they can do....my parents are telling me to wait until monday and talk to the superintendant, but i think it will be too late by then....thanks for your help guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Say it to the superintendant in the centre and ask him if he could put a note in the advice sheet for that exam. I think it would be his call though as there might be the possibility of shenanigans if students start handing in different numbers.

Every day the superintendant puts down any changes of levels or unusual incidences on a special sheet for that particular exam. He is supposed to keep all these advice sheets till the end then post them to the SEC. So in theory he could still put a note in.

Was the wrong number you think you put down the same as anyone elses in that exam location? This could be problematic. But if its a number not on the list and your real number is the only one missing then the marker will figure it out in 3 minutes.

No harm to ring the SEC for advice though!

yeah i only realised when i came home that the number i had put in IS another students number....this looks really bad though, i hope the sec dont think i was trying to cheat or do something against the rules, now that would be a big problem

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Supersonic42

U'll be fine. Everyone is accounted for so it will be noticed if you have the wrong number. Iv came across this scenario last year as a LC examiner, without the student notifying the SEC. Also, the're very good in the SEC so if you ring them and/or email them they'll make a note of it.

Don listen to people saying it will be ok .
    They could be wrong .
    Getting the last digit wrong on your exam number means that it could be someone else's exam number . Someone from your exam centre .
    Don't take the risk . Contact them immediately .

• Advertisement

U'll be fine. Everyone is accounted for so it will be noticed if you have the wrong number. Iv came across this scenario last year as a LC examiner, without the student notifying the SEC. Also, the're very good in the SEC so if you ring them and/or email them they'll make a note of it.

yeah i hope so...but what im worried about is the fact that not only did i put down the wrong exam number but i put down another students exam number...so i dont know what they would do to differenciate mine from the other persons....this is where it gets tricky

What if it is the same number as another student in his centre ? Are they supposed to distinguish between their handwriting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

Ring the SEC in the morning they'll be able to tell you what to do better than anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Supersonic42

Firstly the superintendent should have checked all the numbers against his/her record before he/she put them in the bag. Also he must put them in the correct order from lowest number to highest so he/she should have noticed if two of the numbers were the same at that stage.

This type of thing is bound to happen from time to time and the SEC will have a procedure in place in that scenario.
    You probably put down the correct number anyway and are just overthinking it and panicking.

its a maths exam also so there not much writing only sums and numbers..
    Firstly the superintendent should have checked all the numbers against his/her record before he/she put them in the bag. Also he must put them in the correct order from lowest number to highest so he/she should have noticed if two of the numbers were the same at that stage.

This type of thing is bound to happen from time to time and the SEC will have a procedure in place in that scenario.
    You probably put down the correct number anyway and are just overthinking it and panicking.

thanks i hope thats the case....i think what i'll do is send an email to the sec asking for their advice, then on monday i'll ask the examiner if he came across 2 scripts with the same number, notify him that i put in the incorrect number and hope something can be sorted out, thanks for you help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ave123 wrote: »
    thanks i hope thats the case....i think what i'll do is send an email to the sec asking for their advice, then on monday i'll ask the examiner if he came across 2 scripts with the same number, notify him that i put in the incorrect number and hope something can be sorted out, thanks for you help

Id say he didn't see 2 numbers the same, (or didn't check the numerical order I.e. just collected according to desk number and assumed everything was in order. Ring the SEC anyway and say it to the superintendant and the teacher from your school who is the exam officer.

Armelodie wrote: »
    Id say he didn't see 2 numbers the same, (or didn't check the numerical order I.e. just collected according to desk number and assumed everything was in order. Ring the SEC anyway and say it to the superintendant and the teacher from your school who is the exam officer.
    okay i'll ring the sec today so and i'll say it to him on monday,....i dont think he would be a superintendant that would notice any way,...i just hope they can sort it out for me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Tell your superintendent on Monday. There is a small possibility that the exam finished too late to get to the post office to send the papers, so they may still be in the school.

If there is anything you can identify your paper by (I did the q. on xyz) that will help them see which is your paper, tell them.

It's easier sort if you leave the number out than if you put someone else's number, but they can manage it. If needed they can retrieve your paper from another subject and compare writing, but as you can imagine they REALLY don't like doing that.

i rang the sec today and they told me to send an email to them telling them my exam number, exam centre number and paper,...he said to tell the examiner on monday so they can put in a note telling them my exam number etc...hopefully it will all be resolved by monday...thanks for all your help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MurphyD72

Is Maths paper one and paper two corrected by the same person?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

Oh...Hmm...You need to get that cheaked. And as the above guy said They do cheak them all after The examiner told me yesterday he's gonna have a hard time sorting them cause some people dropped to pass maths on the day so Im assuming they cheak and sort them all out Tell the examiner on Monday though!

MurphyD72 wrote: »
    Is Maths paper one and paper two corrected by the same person?

Not necessarily . One of my maths teachers is only a paper 2 corrector . She said she doesn't correct p1 but corrected p2 last year for sec.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Not necessarily . One of my maths teachers is only a paper 2 corrector . She said she doesn't correct p1 but corrected p2 last year for sec.

That's quite odd as the payment is based on two papers. Perhaps they have changed it to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MurphyD72

Also when are the exams sent off for correcting?

MurphyD72 wrote: »
    Also when are the exams sent off for correcting?

Most exams are sent to Athlone the day of the exam, if there is time to get to the Post Office.

The marking conferences are held (roughly) the last half of June, where the correctors go to Athlone to collect their bags of papers and go through the marking schemes. The correction period usually lasts about three weeks with all the bags of papers being back in Athlone by the end of July.

They then transfer all the marks to the main computer in time to have the LC results out mid August.

Once the LC marks are out, the SEC starts to deal with the JC marks to have them out mid September. In the meantime, they organise getting papers back to schools for LC viewings, usually early September/late August.

Advertisement