Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Manning Memorial Dunshaughlin 10km Road Race 21/6/2014

Options
  • 07-06-2014 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭

Race Route
    Entry

Favourite race of the year coming up. Normally very well organised with a good field but i turn up for the strawberries tbh.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Giving this a bump !!!

Great race and course, also a well organised race for runners by runners.

Got my 10K PB here last year. No fear of that this year :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Long shot:
    Anyone able to offer a lift back (I can just about fit in the boot) to somewhere in Dublin after the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Defo contender for race of the year. If this weather keeps up it'll make it an even better night.

cianc wrote: »
    Long shot:
    Anyone able to offer a lift back (I can just about fit in the boot) to somewhere in Dublin after the race?

Might be able to help you out, I'll get back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Finally bit the bullett and registered. Looking forward to it. Nowhere near the shape I was in last year but will give it a blast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

First time to sign up for this, very excited :cool: I'm aiming for a PB (44.59 would be the dream but would be happy with 45:xx, most recent 10K was 46:15).

Could anyone who has done this before advise if it's best to pace it with even splits or should I bag a few seconds earlier on to help up the hill in the second half ?

Possibly I'm failing at reading comprehension, but anyone know if numbers are collected on the day, or come in the post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

cianc wrote: »
    Possibly I'm failing at reading comprehension, but anyone know if numbers are collected on the day, or come in the post?

On the day in previous years anyway.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    First time to sign up for this, very excited :cool: I'm aiming for a PB (44.59 would be the dream but would be happy with 45:xx, most recent 10K was 46:15).

Could anyone who has done this before advise if it's best to pace it with even splits or should I bag a few seconds earlier on to help up the hill in the second half ?

Its a tricky one tactically alright, the first 5k is definitely faster than the second half. They used to give 5k splits in the results and from what I remember the general trend was a 20-30 second positive split. If you're going for 45mins I'd aim to hit 5k at about 22:05 or thereabouts. First mile is quick anyway so you'll have a few seconds in the bank straight away. But like I said things are a bit slower in the second 5k so best not to be on the ragged edge early on.

I negative splitted it last year (ran the second half slightly faster than the first half) and I believe it is best to run even splits or pick up in the second half. If you try to bank time in the first half then you will likely lose more time on 'the hill'. In reality it is not much of a hill unless you are totally spent going into it, if not you won't lose much time. Not one person passed me on the 2nd half last year (at least until the last 100m) and that is a great feeling.
    Also remember KM 5-7 is slightly downhill and KM 8-10 is totally flat so there is plenty of good ground to pick up time in the 2nd half if you have energy left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Running this as well with a friend, target time hasn't been revealed to me as yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Another win for Martin Fagan's in 30.03

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

PVincent wrote: »
    Another win for Martin Fagan's in 30.03

Any time on Rooney?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Had a good run meself there tonight, pb'd on the first 5k (according to the guy shouting out 5k time) and then bettered that again over the 2nd 5 :D:D , so going by earlier posts thats a negative split? Wasnt running by stopwatch, just hope. Delighted with 47.10 gun time.

On the times though, it looked from where I was that a lot of runners might have started well over the start line. Could be wrong mind you about that, it looked that way from just behind the pat the baker van where I was, which was parked right on the line IIRC. So how do precision timing chip that one? They need to find a way like in Dunboynes 4 miler, to stream the later arrivals down the side of the throng and then let them work their way up from the back. Didnt affect me in the slightest as I'm not competing at a high level, just wondering.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

JMSE wrote: »
    Had a good run meself there tonight, pb'd on the first 5k (according to the guy shouting out 5k time) and then bettered that again over the 2nd 5 :D:D , so going by earlier posts thats a negative split? Wasnt running by stopwatch, just hope. Delighted with 47.10 gun time.

On the times though, it looked from where I was that a lot of runners might have started well over the start line. Could be wrong mind you about that, it looked that way from just behind the pat the baker van where I was, which was parked right on the line IIRC. So how do precision timing chip that one? They need to find a way like in Dunboynes 4 miler, to stream the later arrivals down the side of the throng and then let them work their way up from the back. Didnt affect me in the slightest as I'm not competing at a high level, just wondering.....
    True enough. The marshals failed to usher the front runners back behind the starting line, so eventually (8 minutes later) just started the race from where the runners were positioned (around 4m-5m ahead of the start line). There were no starting mats, so chip times are based on gun times. Just as well Martin Fagan didn't run a course-record, as it would have been put in doubt. My watch still registered the right distance (for whatever that's worth), so the starting point for the lead runners was probably about right anyway.

Apart from that small glitch, it was another excellently run Dunshaughlin 10k. Really superb race and can't fault it at all. Best 10k race in the country (though the Lakes 10k still holds a soft spot).

Yeah, I was a few rows back from the front, and we passed over the spray-painted "start" mark on the road while being moved back and probably ended up a couple of meters behind it, so I don't think the runners at the very front were much off.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

I was about a metre in front of "start line" and there was 3 or 4 rows ( 120 runners?) in front of me. Not sure why they didn't keep pushing everyone back behind the white painted line before the off.

Excellent race though and superbly well organised. An amazing field of runners.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

This is a great race, well organised, good course, nice touches like the folks at 5k giving times etc.. It's only downside - and it has led to the problems above I think - is the lack of a chip mat at the start line. The start line was a bit messy with people arriving later on feeding into the bunch already positioned for a fast start on the line. I think a mat or gantry scanning at the start line would solve this problem, and given the size of the race and how well it is run otherwise, it's something I feel Dunshaughlin AC should seriously look into, especially on a course that people aim for PBs on.

Aside from that, the usual well organised and enjoyable race. Crowd support was fantastic in town both heading out and arriving back. Spread afterwards was great also. Thanks as always to the club, organisers and marshals for a great annual race. And thanks to the folks setting up water stations along the way. And apologies to the lady I grabbed the bottle from, I hope it wasn't intended for someone specific lol!

menoscemo wrote: »
    I negative splitted it last year (ran the second half slightly faster than the first half) and I believe it is best to run even splits or pick up in the second half. If you try to bank time in the first half then you will likely lose more time on 'the hill'. In reality it is not much of a hill unless you are totally spent going into it, if not you won't lose much time. Not one person passed me on the 2nd half last year (at least until the last 100m) and that is a great feeling.
    Also remember KM 5-7 is slightly downhill and KM 8-10 is totally flat so there is plenty of good ground to pick up time in the 2nd half if you have energy left.

Thanks so much for this advice. Managed to go sub 45 having gone through 5K at 22:30. Flew up the first hill but wasn't expecting the second one :o. Torture. What a great race though - thanks so much to the organisers, cake bakers and sandwich makers. Love your work :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

You can't really blame the marshals so much. There were scores of people near the front who refused to take a step backwards. It wasn't like any were going to be keeping pace with Fagan either.

Small gripe for me though. Great race and cake afterwards. PB'd too.

Thanks so much for this advice. Managed to go sub 45 having gone through 5K at 22:30. Flew up the first hill but wasn't expecting the second one :o. Torture. What a great race though - thanks so much to the organisers, cake bakers and sandwich makers. Love your work :)

no-one ever mentions the first hill; the 'fake' hill!!! Well done. How big was your negative split?

This is a great race. The depth of the field is amazing and the organisation is always spot on.
    The course is fast but at the same time just hard enough to test you. If you are in good shape (like I was last year) you find out with a fast time. If you are not in good shape (as I was tonight) you get found out by the hills in the second half.
    I was over 2 minutes slower than last year, but given the amount of training I have been doing; it's a fair enough result.

Congrats to Krusty for winning the auld lads prize with a big PB to boot. Great to meet a lot of boardisies out there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

corny wrote: »
    You can't really blame the marshals so much. There were scores of people near the front who refused to take a step backwards. It wasn't like any were going to be keeping pace with Fagan either.

Small gripe for me though. Great race and cake afterwards. PB'd too.

tis true, but as i refused to step back onto the girl behind me who wasnt shifting......you get the scenario :D

Getting away from that mullarkey, top marks to the club, the marshals, the km markers, the tour de france type name painters for the distractions, the 'hills are speed sessions in disguise' signs, the kids clapping at also-rans like me, the woman with the hose on mist, the water station manners, and of course Mr. Eastwood, thank you very much Mr. East'... eh its gettin late, better hit the hay

no-one ever mentions the first hill; the 'fake' hill!!! Well done. How big was your negative split?

About 17 seconds by my watch but the gun time was less forgiving. Didn't realise there were no mats at the start so lucky to come away with an 'official' sub 45. Happy out. Still buzzing but it's way past my bedtime:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Lock

I would love to have been running in the 10k but I'm not in any shape, so I brought the camera instead. I was taking as many snaps as I could in the final stretch so I'm sure I got a few of you.

I have uploaded the full set on Jumping the Gun, if anyone is interested in having a look. I think you can tag yourself in the photos once you 'like' the page. Well done all. https://www.facebook.com/JTGIreland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

So much to rave about this race and well done to all in Dunshaughlin, the water stops were a blessing in that heat and the man who had the water hose around 3k is a genius in my eyes. Its just a cracking course and that hill is one to be attacked. You just have to love the names on the road. They always seems to get lovely weather for it too which helps. The spread of food afterwards was massive and welcomed. Special thanks to the two stewards at the finish who assisted me to a barrier and placed me up against it as I was wobbling around the place and felt like I was going to collapse. Got a shiny new pb to boot so it was all worth it.

As I said its just a great, great race in so many ways but the start is a right mess even with a wide road. People will always turn up late and start in the wrong place for their abilities but the marshals hadn't a hope of moving anyone back over the line as they couldn't hear the marshals asking them to move back (why didn't someone have a megaphone?).

I was 5 meters behind the start line but must have past over 100 runners before the roundabout. A starting mat, starting pens or a gantry isn't going to make people stand in the correct zone for their abilities and that's the real problem. You see it in every race nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Just checking my times, I got a negative split (14secs) so you got it spot on Meno. Like yourself last yr, I passed lots of runners in second half and wasn't passed till a few sprinters flew by near the finish.

Anyone ever tell you you'd make a great pacer:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Agree with all the above, great race, great course, great feed after but the start was a mess. I think a start mat would make a big difference as a lot of people wouldn't care about being up the front if they knew time would be taken once they crossed the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Advertisement