Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Manning Memorial Dunshaughlin 10km Road Race 21/6/2014

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Second all of the positive comments about the race above. Probably in my top 3 favourite races on the calendar (Raheny 5, Dunboyne 5 and Dunsaughlin 10K).

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

corny wrote: »

Great photos. One thing that really stands out in them is how it is a real club race. Pretty much every photo shows athletes with the club vests. Should really make this the National 10K. Although the Great Ireland Run is good, it does not have the same atmosphere as this one. Give the National Half Marathon and 10K back to the clubs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Oh yeah, one other gripe. What happened to the strawberries?! Lose the T-shirt and give us back our strawberries!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Oh yeah, one other gripe. What happened to the strawberries?! Lose the T-shirt and give us back our strawberries!
    Beer and strawberries go well together?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I see why people are so enthusiastic about it now, really nice event. Yeah there was a bit of chaos at the start but everything else looked spot on to me.

The organisers of a very popular 4m race in Cork (Cheetah Run) brought in roped off sections for different planned finish times two year ago which works really well so maybe something like that could be investigated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Echo everyone else's positive comments about the race although the mess at the start line really bothered me but it was more the idiots that refused to move back fault than the organisers. The problem really is the lack of a timing mat at the start coupled with people arriving at the start line from the direction they will be running.
    Highlights for me were the guy out spraying the hose, the support from the locals (I was running beside some guy called Benny and it seemed like every single person in the town was cheering him on), the cakes afterwards and the good weather (if a little too good, I'm a sun worshipper but found myself hugging the ditches to be in the shade)
    After 2 5k races (Kilbride and Pride) during the week it was inevitable I wasn't going to meet my target but I'll make do with a 4 second PB :)

Oh and I witnessed a guy(in the club car park) in a VW Passat reverse his car/tow bar into a Hyundai Santa Fe (I think) and then just drive off. I took the reg but couldn't hang around myself as I was already running late.

fletch wrote: »
    Echo everyone else's positive comments about the race although the mess at the start line really bothered me but it was more the idiots that refused to move back fault than the organisers.
    I'm guessing you weren't anywhere near the front fletch? While I didn't toe the line (I was a couple of rows back), it was impossible to move back any further, due to the wall of un-moving runners just behind (ahead of the bread van). So it wasn't the front-runners unwillingess to move back, but their inability to move back. The entire horde needed to drop back by behind the bread van. It's just too much to ask, to try and get 800 runners to reverse by 10-15 metres, particularly as the marshals had no loud-speakers. It was a bit of a mess, but something easily fixable with a small bit of planning.

I'm guessing you weren't anywhere near the front fletch? While I didn't toe the line (I was a couple of rows back), it was impossible to move back any further, due to the wall of un-moving runners just behind (ahead of the bread van). So it wasn't the front-runners unwillingess to move back, but their inability to move back. The entire horde needed to drop back by behind the bread van. It's just too much to ask, to try and get 800 runners to reverse by 10-15 metres, particularly as the marshals had no loud-speakers. It was a bit of a mess, but something easily fixable with a small bit of planning.
    I was near the front...I asked people behind me to move back (if everyone had of done the same it might have worked) but everyone just looked back at me like doey eyed. But yeh I hear what you're saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

NiallG4 wrote: »
    Great photos. One thing that really stands out in them is how it is a real club race. Pretty much every photo shows athletes with the club vests. Should really make this the National 10K. Although the Great Ireland Run is good, it does not have the same atmosphere as this one. Give the National Half Marathon and 10K back to the clubs. :)

I'll echo all the positive comments, my first time doing it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I wonder though if there would have to be start mats to make it the national 10k? I believe the field was 900 runners so the gun times could be off a good bit for the back markers? I wonder what the cost of providing mats or whatever else is available for use at the start.. Either way I agree a much nicer atmosphere (and course) than Great Ireland Run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Much as I prefer Dunshaughlin to the Great Ireland Run, the GIR is an IAAF silver standard race that attracts elite international runners, so is unlikely to lose the national 10k connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Firedance wrote: »
    I'll echo all the positive comments, my first time doing it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I wonder though if there would have to be start mats to make it the national 10k? I believe the field was 900 runners so the gun times could be off a good bit for the back markers? I wonder what the cost of providing mats or whatever else is available for use at the start.. Either way I agree a much nicer atmosphere (and course) than Great Ireland Run.

For National competititions Gun time is the only relevant time anyway so the presence of mats would make no difference.

RayCun wrote: »
    Much as I prefer Dunshaughlin to the Great Ireland Run, the GIR is an IAAF silver standard race that pays for elite international runners to come over and compete, so is unlikely to lose the national 10k connection
    Fixed your post Ray. I'm not sure that the presence of elite international runners is relevant to a national event? We have many national events that don't include an international field (e.g. XC, 10 mile, road relays, last year's national marathon, years of national half marathons hosted by clubs, etc.).

The reality is that the GIR would lose its prestige as a competitive race if it were not the national 10k, so I'd imagine the GIR owners make it worthwhile to the AAI (coffers).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

tunguska wrote: »
    Its a tricky one tactically alright, the first 5k is definitely faster than the second half. They used to give 5k splits in the results and from what I remember the general trend was a 20-30 second positive split. If you're going for 45mins I'd aim to hit 5k at about 22:05 or thereabouts. First mile is quick anyway so you'll have a few seconds in the bank straight away. But like I said things are a bit slower in the second 5k so best not to be on the ragged edge early on.

I dont know what I was on about when I posted this ^^^^^. Must've been thinking about another race because I ran a negative split myself on saturday, and so did a few of my friends.
    Great race though, weather was awesome. I was lying on top of a wheely bin at the finish line, trying to compose myself and look like everything was cool but I was absolutely fooked. There was lads coming over to me trying to shake my hand and I couldnt even respond, I was comatose. Then two kids came over and asked if they could use the bin...........that close to telling two children to **** off. I didnt though, managed to peel myself off the wheely bin and colapse in the middle of a busy road. Classy......

tunguska wrote: »
    I dont know what I was on about when I posted this ^^^^^. Must've been thinking about another race because I ran a negative split myself on saturday, and so did a few of my friends.
    Great race though, weather was awesome. I was lying on top of a wheely bin at the finish line, trying to compose myself and look like everything was cool but I was absolutely fooked. There was lads coming over to me trying to shake my hand and I couldnt even respond, I was comatose. Then two kids came over and asked if they could use the bin...........that close to telling two children to **** off. I didnt though, managed to peel myself off the wheely bin and colapse in the middle of a busy road. Classy......

Me too. I had a 25 sec negative split. Everyone up my way also say the first 5K is fast but I have always disagreed even when I used to see the 5K splits a few years back. The only thing this year is there was a gentle breeze on our backs from 6K to the finish and the hills really are not that bad on the way back with the incentive being that there is a nice downhill at 8K and a nice finish. Not sure if I like the 800, 400, 300, 200 to go signs but overall 10/10 from me.

I reckon the second half is more shady than the first half too, which likely helped a lot on the day. I reckon I ran a pretty even split (something like 16:50 / 16:46), though I thought the second half was a lot slower (I wasn't looking at my watch). I'd also convinced myself that the last mile was down-hill, so I was prepared to beat myself up a little in the 5th mile, but after the initial downhill stretch it's actually an uphill drag to the finish. Same as last year, I started my final sprint too early, thinking that the left turn before the village marked the end of the race. So disappointed to see the runners ahead continue running straight up the hill. Maybe I should start looking at my watch more often!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

NiallG4 wrote: »
    Me too. I had a 25 sec negative split. Everyone up my way also say the first 5K is fast but I have always disagreed even when I used to see the 5K splits a few years back. The only thing this year is there was a gentle breeze on our backs from 6K to the finish and the hills really are not that bad on the way back with the incentive being that there is a nice downhill at 8K and a nice finish. Not sure if I like the 800, 400, 300, 200 to go signs but overall 10/10 from me.

I know a few lads who had this course a bit short- might explain all the negative splits! but good running anyways!

drquirky wrote: »
    I know a few lads who had this course a bit short- might explain all the negative splits! but good running anyways!

Yeah it was way short. I think the first 5K was accurate but the second was too downhill and way short.

drquirky wrote: »
    I actually have it as 10.12 metres too long (on my watch), so I'm actually going to officially record my PB as 32:59, as those 10m were the slowest ones on the course (and took me around 37 seconds).

I actually have it as 10.12 metres too long (on my watch), so I'm actually going to officially record my PB as 32:59, as those 10m were the slowest ones on the course (and took me around 38 seconds).

That's a great idea. I might do that as well. I measured it at 10.05 so I think I will adjust mine as well. PB's for the boys. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement