Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simple solution to Dublin traffic problem

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

visual wrote: »
    what is to stop them raising the luas above the streets
    The red line is a disaster cutting through so many roads that it will always be in collisions.

smart-grid-regenerative-electric-trains-2.jpg

Or cars could just stop at the little red lights that we spent good money on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Where on the red line in town is there as much space between the buildings as in that photo? The street beneath would be dark all day. Great for antisocial behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Aard wrote: »
    Where on the red line in town is there as much space between the buildings as in that photo? The street beneath would be dark all day. Great for antisocial behaviour.

If you travel on green line it goes over canal and through buildings. Redline in tallaght goes through apartment block.

Supports can be from side of road or foot path or even built into the side of buildings

as regarding light underneath a rail line there is always artificial light or as luas is light weight train the support for a couple of rail lines could be steel beams with sufficient gaps to allow light through.

we do employ garda although I only see them stopping cars im sure they are capable of patrolling these areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭SeanW

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Or cars could just stop at the little red lights that we spent good money on!
    Motorists are the most likely group I've seen, after Luas trams and buses, to respect stop lights. But even an error rate among motorists of a fraction of a percent can cause delays, accidents etc. and often does, which you have to expect because human error is inevitable even in the best of circumstances.

Besides it's generally the case that grade separated public transport is faster and better anyway. Hence for example why Irish Rail wants to close all the level crossings on the Maynooth line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

visual wrote: »
    If you travel on green line it goes over canal and through buildings. Redline in tallaght goes through apartment block.

Supports can be from side of road or foot path or even built into the side of buildings

as regarding light underneath a rail line there is always artificial light or as luas is light weight train the support for a couple of rail lines could be steel beams with sufficient gaps to allow light through.

we do employ garda although I only see them stopping cars im sure they are capable of patrolling these areas

They know how to handle these things in Thailand:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Can we not just enact a law that says that any learner driver not competent enough to put the L plate in the back of their car the right way around, isn't competent enough to be on the road at all? :D

We'd halve the number of learner drivers on the road overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yes, that's what I thought you said - am I understanding you right if I think you can get this €49 insurance which will only come into practice on the rare (limited?) occasions that you rent a car? Who does this (if I've understood it right)?

http://www.aig.ie/car-hire-excess-insurance_3192_516126.html

I got mine from AIG. Yes, this insurance is so you don't have to take out any excess policy that the car hire company will inevitably try to sell you at the pick up point. In my experience the charges for this are in the region of €12-20 per day so they can almost double the costs of renting some cars. Before using it you should check that the car hire company doesn't have a policy of only letting you buy their insurance as a condition of hire. Budget are one such company, I haven't come across others but they might be out there.

Since I sold my own car last year I now rent cars from Dublin Airport, perhaps 8-9 times in the last year and always at decent rates, usually around €15 per 24 hours for a Ford or Volkswagon. By having the €49 excess policy it makes it super cheap for me vs. owning a car, taxing and insuring it, maintenance, etc.

I own a motorbike which is fine for me 90% of the time but there are occasions where I need a car so renting makes a lot more sense when combined with a cheap annual excess policy. It also has the big advantage that I'm always driving new or nearly new cars these days whereas before I was shelling out €1500 odd a year just to have a 9 year old car sit outside. By hiring cars I don't need to worry about taxing it or any maintenance costs which is always a worry with older cars if a major component goes. On top of that hiring costs me around €400 a year whereas before I couldn't even tax the car for that sum.

I remember reading before that Ireland has some of the most competitive car hire rates of anywhere in Europe. Having hired before on the continent I'd tend to agree, €50-60 a day is common enough to hire a car in Germany or France. For some reason the Dublin market is extremely competitive and there are lots of bargains about, especially at the airport. People who live in the city and own a car but rarely use it should really look at car hire as a more practicable and affordable solution.

Advertisement