Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids' summer day camps

• 07-06-2014 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Having been badgered by half a dozen enthusiastic mums, I'm currently advertising 'Sewing Summer Camps' aimed at the 12 - 18s. Verbal feedback from my posters has been positive, but I've had no bookings at all so far and I'm concerned that what I'm offering is not appealing to the kids themselves and their mums are now too embarrassed to tell me the truth.

Could I ask those of you with kids in the target age group for some feedback?

What I'm offering is 5 consecutive half days learning to use a sewing machine and making a large colourful tote (craft) bag.

I'm proposing small groups of max. 4 kids and all materials are included in the 65€ fee. It's aimed at complete beginners, so I need to keep the project(s) simple. Like I said, the adult mums seem enthusiastic, but I'm wondering whether I might have more success with bookings if the kids were offered something 'more exciting' to make - a simple skirt or top or a variety of small craft items?

Pearls of wisdom, anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

My child isn't in the age group you're trying to attract but I suspect summer camps aren't really for teenagers apart from - sports activity camps (canoeing, sailing, kayaking) . I reckon they'd prefer to hang out with their friends during the summer. Some will have babysitting jobs or other summer work, then others will head to Irish College.

Summer Camps tend to work best for the 6 - 12 age group, their parents are more likely to commit to camps during the holidays because it means their children have some place to go instead of paying for childcare. I think you might be better off if you offered simple arts and crafts mornings or afternoons to groups of younger children. Bear in mind if you're working with minors you'll need to have insurance and Garda Vetting in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭brynne

Thanks for that MrsD007. Could well be. Sounds as if the mammies think sewing is a great idea but the kids aren't going for it. I'm a dressmaker by trade, so don't really go in for craft sewing and couldn't cope with younger kids.

My mistake is probably (at a parent's suggestion) to have based the Summer Camp project on the classes I run for adults. I start beginners off with the tote bag just so that they learn how to operate the sewing machine before letting loose on actual dressmaking. It works well for adults. Complete beginners walk away at the end of their first weekend session with a really nice craft bag. But I can see how that might not work for teens.

I might try re-designing the Summer Camp course around an actual dressmaking project, which might have more appeal to teens. But if there's no interest, I won't sweat about it.

Any other opinions welcome.

ETA I have insurance, so that is not a concern. However, my understanding is that Garda Vetting can only be carried out by a registered employer. I was CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) cleared when I worked for the NHS in London. However, I believe the system here is the same as it is over in that, being self-employed, I cannot apply for Garda Vetting independently for myself. If anyone knows differently, please point me in the right direction as, I would think that being unable to be Garda Vetted would be a concern for some parents and therefore not good for business.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

brynne wrote: »
    ETA I have insurance, so that is not a concern. However, my understanding is that Garda Vetting can only be carried out by a registered employer. I was CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) cleared when I worked for the NHS in London. However, I believe the system here is the same as it is over in that, being self-employed, I cannot apply for Garda Vetting independently for myself. If anyone knows differently, please point me in the right direction as, I would think that being unable to be Garda Vetted would be a concern for some parents and therefore not good for business.

Garda vetting is a pain in the h0le, I've had to do it a few times for training underage teams, once for a hurling club, another for a football club, another for rugby and another for giving an underage reffing course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Clareman wrote: »
    Garda vetting is a pain in the h0le, I've had to do it a few times for training underage teams, once for a hurling club, another for a football club, another for rugby and another for giving an underage reffing course.

Very unfortunate choice of words to describe this very basic process that we have at last put in place to try to protect children from the horrors they have been exposed to in the past, and the not too distant past at that.

Balagan wrote: »
    Very unfortunate choice of words to describe this very basic process that we have at last put in place to try to protect children from the horrors they have been exposed to in the past, and the not too distant past at that.
    I quite agree, Balagan. What's the issue? It's just a bit of form-filling in the end. I don't know what it costs here, but in the UK it was usually the 'registered body' applying that paid the £15 fee anyway. However, it does seem madness that there is no mechanism for the self-employed to apply for clearance themselves.

Assuming Clareman is/was self-employed, I'd be interested to know how he managed the vetting issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was just helping out a few clubs/schools, having to go through the hoops for all the different groups when there could/should be just a single body looking after it all.

I quite agree, Balagan. What's the issue? It's just a bit of form-filling in the end. I don't know what it costs here, but in the UK it was usually the 'registered body' applying that paid the £15 fee anyway. However, it does seem madness that there is no mechanism for the self-employed to apply for clearance themselves.

Assuming Clareman is/was self-employed, I'd be interested to know how he managed the vetting issue.
    I'd recommend that you call to your local Garda Station and ask them for their advice.

I had to apply for vetting about two years ago, I was volunteering with a local children's charity, the process took about three months. I think there are long delays at the moment though, a friend of mine is a teacher (and has clearance for her day job) she is waiting for over six months to get clearance to do some volunteer work with vulnerable adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

I was just helping out a few clubs/schools, having to go through the hoops for all the different groups when there could/should be just a single body looking after it all.

100% agree with Clareman. I have done this several times... haven't changed my name .... my address ... etc, yes a pain!

Best bit.... it takes so long, your summer camp will be well and truly over!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 eskanw

I would love to know more about the classes you're offering Brynne, I was thinking of buying a cheap sewing machine for my daughters 16th Birthday in the summer cos shes mad into redesigning clothes at the moment and would love to know how to work a sewing machine, it would be great for her to be shown (maybe I'm another over enthusiastic mom!) I will ask her later on, Where in Clare will the classes be?

OP, you might PM your details to eskanw :).

• Advertisement

MrsD007 wrote: »
    OP, you might PM your details to eskanw :).
    Done.

Re the Garda Vetting, as far as I can ascertain, as a self-employed person, I don't legally require it. I agree that it is a less than ideal situation. However, Garda Vetting is done as a condition of employment with the HSE and certain other defined organisations. Volunteers, such as sports coaches, are often cleared under some umbrella organisation but, being a self-employed dressmaker, I have no 'defined organisation' or employer to request clearance on my behalf. Essentially, if a parent has concerns, then they won't book their child on a course with me. Simple as that.

Done.

Re the Garda Vetting, as far as I can ascertain, as a self-employed person, I don't legally require it. I agree that it is a less than ideal situation.
    That doesn't make sense - self employed tutors, private childminders and creche owners are/or can be vetted :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

MrsD007 wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense - self employed tutors, private childminders and creche owners are/or can be vetted :confused:

It's an odd one:
    When the National Vetting Bureau (Children and Vulnerable Persons) Act 2012 comes into effect, it will make it mandatory for persons working with children or vulnerable adults to be vetted by the Gardaí
    Types of employees vetted

The Act lists the work or activities where people working with children and vulnerable adult will require vetting. These include:
    •Childcare services – see also ‘Further information’ below
    •Schools
    •Hospitals and health services
    •Residential services or accommodation for children or vulnerable persons
    •Treatment, therapy or counselling services for children or vulnerable persons
    •Provision of leisure, sporting or physical activities to children or vulnerable persons
    •Promotion of religious beliefs

Private security employees: Under the Private Security Services Act 2004 Garda vetting has been extended to private security employees (for example, bouncers and nightclub security staff).

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/monitoring_and_surveillance_at_work/garda_clearance_for_employees.html

The OP might need it for insurance purposes anyway. The above doesn't mention it for this sort of a camp.

I do sympathise with the OP that surely teenagers are not vulnerable. A life guard in a swimming pool doesn't need Garda vetting. I would recommend the OP should contact the Gardaí just to be sure about this.

I can't argue the above, but everything there clearly relates to "employees" - people employed in positions that specifically provide services targeting children and vulnerable adults. You will see from the link that Garda Vetting can only be requested by registered organisations.

MrsD007, you are correct "self employed tutors, private childminders and creche owners are/or can be vetted", but this is because they either belong to professional organisations that are registered with the Gardai or, in the case of childminders and creche owners, the requests are done by Barnados.

There are groups of people - not specifically employed to provide services to children and vulnerable adults - mainly artisans, artists or performers - who currently fall outside the scope of the vetting process. It is a recognised issue, and something that one can only hope will be addressed sooner rather than later.

ETA - and, no, there was no issue with insurance.

Advertisement