Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REPEATS WHO FAIL MATHS

• 07-06-2014 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm in a bit of a predicament- I'm a repeat who has constantly pushed pass maths to the side all year with frustration because it must be taken up again in order to get into medicine.

What goes around comes around and I really feel as though I've failed paper one yesterday!

I got a C1 last year but can anybody tell me; if I fail it this year will that jeopardise getting into any university courses or is last year's result a safety net?

Ps, English was amazing and I'm hoping everything else is smooth for us all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Ryanmangan wrote: »
    I'm in a bit of a predicament- I'm a repeat who has constantly pushed pass maths to the side all year with frustration because it must be taken up again in order to get into medicine.

What goes around comes around and I really feel as though I've failed paper one yesterday!

I got a C1 last year but can anybody tell me; if I fail it this year will that jeopardise getting into any university courses or is last year's result a safety net?

Ps, English was amazing and I'm hoping everything else is smooth for us all!

I'm pretty sure it counts for this year? Best thing to do is email any college or the cao can probably tell you. Work your hardest for maths paper 2 I know you're trying to get the points. Do you need to sit maths though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

If you passed maths last year why did you do it again this year?? You could have dropped it and your college would still accept it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

bb1234567 wrote: »
    If you passed maths last year why did you do it again this year?? You could have dropped it and your college would still accept it

Unless the OP is counting it for points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

spurious wrote: »
    Unless the OP is counting it for points.

I doubt it if he neglected it for the entire year

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ryanmangan

I'm doing it again this year because I'm going for medicine and it's unfortunately a requirement to do it again! But I'm not thinking of just medicine here, I'm wondering if I'll be allowed into any level 7 course after failing it this year, despite getting a C1 last year. And I've pushed it to the side because I have 560 plus points to get here.. Pass maths is like a parasite!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

I think there's a rule specific to Medicine that requires you to pass all the requirements it in the same year as the results you're counting for the points, but I could be wrong. I've just heard that from people who repeated specifically for Medicine. However, in general for any other course you just have to fulfil the requirement in any sitting of the LC. I know people who are repeating the LC for other courses this year who aren't sitting Maths because they passed it the first time around and weren't counting it for points anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

MegGustaa wrote: »
    I think there's a rule specific to Medicine that requires you to pass all the requirements it in the same year as the results you're counting for the points, but I could be wrong.
    You're not wrong, you're spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Yeah, you need to pass it this year for medicine - but your C1 from last year will count for every other course, don't worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Canard wrote: »
    Yeah, you need to pass it this year for medicine - but your C1 from last year will count for every other course, don't worry.

This is right . I'm trying to get med aswell . When I was looking into how many years hpat results count for , I came across something that said all results not just hpat results have to be from the same year that you are applying .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Think this one can be marked "asked and answered!" ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement