Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to finglas

Options
  • 07-06-2014 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all , looking for a little local info. I have read through other boards posts relating to Finglas but I suppose I have some more specific questions.

Background: Me and the oh are buying our first house and finglas is an option. So I know finglas has a rep, but I'm okay with this (so far!).

There are plenty of areas I'd prefer to live in (Marino, killester, donnycarny, raheny, glasnevin) but they are turning out to be too rich for our blood! So we're looking at auxiliary areas - Edenmore, cabra, finglas. Now the problem is that finglas is still close enough to his family (a good thing) and affordable but we don't know anyone who lives there. We're both from Fairview/Drumcondra area so well aware of the various problems associated with finglas but also that a lot of the east side is grand. (My dad is from finglas west, but hasn't lived there in 40 odd years so no help there!)

I know areas in the north side vary from street to street so I'm looking for feedback on a couple in particular.

Ballygall road west
    Church terrace

I heard everything on that side of finglas rod is grand but to stay away from anything on the other side. Is this true?

Any other rules of thumb?

I read sycamore road is lovely and there was one house for sale there but its sale agreed already. The market is moving so fast!

Any help is genuinely appreciated, especially to my possible future neighbourhood mates. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You just need to stay away from the South... everywhere else is perfectly fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi all , looking for a little local info. I have read through other boards posts relating to Finglas but I suppose I have some more specific questions.

Background: Me and the oh are buying our first house and finglas is an option. So I know finglas has a rep, but I'm okay with this (so far!).

There are plenty of areas I'd prefer to live in (Marino, killester, donnycarny, raheny, glasnevin) but they are turning out to be too rich for our blood! So we're looking at auxiliary areas - Edenmore, cabra, finglas. Now the problem is that finglas is still close enough to his family (a good thing) and affordable but we don't know anyone who lives there. We're both from Fairview/Drumcondra area so well aware of the various problems associated with finglas but also that a lot of the east side is grand. (My dad is from finglas west, but hasn't lived there in 40 odd years so no help there!)

I know areas in the north side vary from street to street so I'm looking for feedback on a couple in particular.

Ballygall road west
    Church terrace

I heard everything on that side of finglas rod is grand but to stay away from anything on the other side. Is this true?

Any other rules of thumb?

I read sycamore road is lovely and there was one house for sale there but its sale agreed already. The market is moving so fast!

Any help is genuinely appreciated, especially to my possible future neighbourhood mates. :)

Can you link the particular houses?

Ballygall west is a big road and I don't know where church terrace is.

kceire wrote: »
    Can you link the particular houses?

Ballygall west is a big road and I don't know where church terrace is.

Church Terrace is beside the Jolly Toper.

January wrote: »
    Church Terrace is beside the Jolly Toper.

Know it now. I personally would rather ballygall road west. I grew up in Finglas west, moved to the south and now live up around Charlestown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

And most/all of the west... everywhere else is perfectly fine.

• Advertisement

And most/all of the west... everywhere else is perfectly fine.

I wouldn't go that far. There's good places up the west too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What area is considered Finglas south ? Is there a road somewhere that one side of it is Finglas south and the other Glasnevin ?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What area is considered Finglas south ? Is there a road somewhere that one side of it is Finglas south and the other Glasnevin ?

Finglas south and west boundary would be Deanstown Avenue in my opinion.
    South boundary with glasnevin doesn't really occur I though as the main Finglas road separates the south from Finglas East.

Finglas South would be the area behind Tesco all the way to Deanstown in the west(Cardiffsbridge Rd) bordering with Wellmount Rd to the north in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Just for what it's worth The South has calmed down hugely in the last few years,even berryfield has gone quiet since the removal of a certain family.

Personally i wouldnt be mad about parts of cappagh and all of Hazlcoft(also know as the Far South).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 anniescribbles

Thanks for help guys. We've narrowed it down to ballygall road west, near st canices.

I'm wondering now what it's like out and about in finglas village. I was there on Saturday and it seemed grand, but def a few retired head bangers shuffling around! A good bit more than Donnycarney where I live now though.

Again, I know Dub 5 well, what pubs to go to/avoid. Where would you go for a few pints in the village and where would avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭slarkin123

Depends where in in the South. I'm in Valley Park in the South, been here 15 years and never once had any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Thanks for help guys. We've narrowed it down to ballygall road west, near st canices.

I'm wondering now what it's like out and about in finglas village. I was there on Saturday and it seemed grand, but def a few retired head bangers shuffling around! A good bit more than Donnycarney where I live now though.

Again, I know Dub 5 well, what pubs to go to/avoid. Where would you go for a few pints in the village and where would avoid?

all the pubs in finglas are fine,and usually strictish about who they let in,so no worries there. The cardiff and the bottom of the hill (my local when im home :) ) have a bit of a bad rep,but they are just normal locals,might get a stare walking in as the drinkers in both would be quite cliquey,but you wouldn't be harassed at all,unless you look like a cop!mainly just old guys watching racing and staring into their pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

There's definitely a "getting stared at" feeling in the Cardiff alright.

I'd echo the above re: Valley Park, very quiet area. Never saw any trouble in the 5 years I've been there.

also as mentioned most of finglas east is quiet,apart from ballygall parade/crescent and griffith close.the rest of ballygall and griffith are fine,pensioners mainly,sycamore/grove park/oakwood are all nice areas too,but pricier than the rest of the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

all the pubs in finglas are fine,and usually strictish about who they let in,so no worries there. The cardiff and the bottom of the hill (my local when im home :) ) have a bit of a bad rep,but they are just normal locals,might get a stare walking in as the drinkers in both would be quite cliquey,but you wouldn't be harassed at all,unless you look like a cop!mainly just old guys watching racing and staring into their pints.

I went into the Bottom of the Hill last year, got stared up and down by every lad at the bar counter on my way in. Had a pint, read the paper, went outside for a smoke where I got talking to a few of the regulars. Sound lads really, good craic out of them and once the ice was broken sure you're their best mate !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Lived briefly near Deanstown Avenue about 10 years ago, near to Rathoath Road, and I didn't think it was that bad to be fair. Never had any grief.

That said, I was just renting there by myself and had no kids and if I was buying, I'd stick closer to the village and East.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 anniescribbles

Thanks again for your replies everyone, very helpful!

The more I think about it, talk to people the better I feel. Some people think I'm absolutely nuts for even thinkin about it, but I think they're basing that on a reputation and not any actual knowledge. In fact anyone we've asked that knows the place seems fairly positive. Although I will miss donnycarney and Fairview I must say.

What's Johnstown park like? Would you bring babies/kids down there? Any undesireables (junkies/alcos etc) hanging about? (Sorry for being so blunt, I don't wanna offend anyone, but any move is for life I hope, so wanna understand as much as possible)

Thanks again for your replies everyone, very helpful!

The more I think about it, talk to people the better I feel. Some people think I'm absolutely nuts for even thinkin about it, but I think they're basing that on a reputation and not any actual knowledge. In fact anyone we've asked that knows the place seems fairly positive. Although I will miss donnycarney and Fairview I must say.

What's Johnstown park like? Would you bring babies/kids down there? Any undesireables (junkies/alcos etc) hanging about? (Sorry for being so blunt, I don't wanna offend anyone, but any move is for life I hope, so wanna understand as much as possible)
    at the ballygall end of the park you might see some lads having a few cans and playing football on a summers evening but that's it,nothing intimidating.at the far end (griffith side) theres a nice modern playground for the kids,all up to scratch safety wise.The park used to be a bit of a no go a decade or two ago but perfectly safe nowadays.

anncoates wrote: »
    Lived briefly near Deanstown Avenue about 10 years ago, near to Rathoath Road, and I didn't think it was that bad to be fair. Never had any grief.

That said, I was just renting there by myself and had no kids and if I was buying, I'd stick closer to the village and East.

and that would be one of wildest pockets of finglas too,most of the feuding,shootings and that would be up that way,but if your not involved with anything shady its fine.Im from finglas,and the only part id avoid if i had kids is behind tescos.fairlawn and hazelcroft because that's where you see most of the joyriding,and youngfellas acting the bollix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

also as mentioned most of finglas east is quiet,apart from ballygall parade/crescent and griffith close.the rest of ballygall and griffith are fine,pensioners mainly,sycamore/grove park/oakwood are all nice areas too,but pricier than the rest of the east.

Sadly some pensioners go into nursing homes/hospitals and families don't sell the home and in some cases the houses are left empty for months/years on end (with nobody tending to the house/garden)

Sometimes pensioners die and the family sell to the highest bidder and then there are the pensioners who have being paying rent to the local council/corporation since the year dot. The house goes back to the council/corporation and the candidate with the most points will get the house.

Finglas in general is grand and a great place to live but trouble will find you if you are looking for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

There's definitely a "getting stared at" feeling in the Cardiff alright.

More curiosity than anything...the Cardiff is mostly for couples in thier 60's and people who sit at teh bar watching the racing all day.

You can actually end up having great craic in that bar if you feel like a chat..the owl ones in particular are very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Wolfie67

Hi There

I am looking up possible places to buy a house, I see 3 houses in a row for sale on Church street in finglas village, Facing shops and beside the old graveyard, I know there is a bar along the street. Can anyone tell me if there is any problems with this street, anti social behaviour etc.

Thanks

The pub doesn't have the best reputation... but as far as I'm aware, apart from that the general area around the houses are nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭assetcolum

Moving to Finglas

" sorry for your troubles "

Do not post unless you have constructive advice for the OP.

I'll say it once and only once, bashing Finglas, Ballymun, Ballyfermot, Clondalkin etc etc is not on. Yes, there are bad parts but there are good parts too. So unless you have first hand experience of the area someone is asking about then please don't bother posting your opinion on it. If you haven't lived in the area then we don't want to hear your assumptions.

Wolfie67 wrote: »
    Hi There

I am looking up possible places to buy a house, I see 3 houses in a row for sale on Church street in finglas village, Facing shops and beside the old graveyard, I know there is a bar along the street. Can anyone tell me if there is any problems with this street, anti social behaviour etc.

Thanks

I personally would not buy one of those houses. It's not one particular thing that would put me off, just the location and constant passing people traffic in and out of the village etc

Finglas born, bred and still ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Wolfie67 wrote: »
    Hi There

Thanks
    them houses are alright. The road itself is quiet traffic wise, small bit of pedestrian traffic with the bridge to the village on the flip side you're only a bridge away from the village so you won't get any nearer to the shops, bus routes etc.
    The shops are quiet, might not be the most healthy house with a chipper and a chinese facing you all day though

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the cardiff have a sign on the door saying locals only :eek:

after living in finglas for 10 years i wouldnt drink in any of the pubs usually head into phibsboro or castleknock

• Advertisement

We usually went to the Ardmore when we lived in Finglas but if we were out with family it was to The Drogheda Lodge (O'Riordans).

To be honest, I wouldn't go to any of the pubs willingly.

Advertisement