Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to finglas

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

I live in Finglas and it's not to bad. I've seen a lot of improvement over the last 5-10yrs. It's just a bad reputation that has stuck but to be honest I think D15 is way rougher. I'd Rather live in Finglas over Blanchardstown or Dublin 24. saying all that I really love Blanchardstown shopping centre.

It's a handy location. I've often walked to Cabra/Phisboro/City Centre. Great if you don't drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I've lived in finglas and blanchardstown and where I am now (in one of the perceived rougher estates in blanchardstown) is nicer than where I was in finglas. The neighbourly atmosphere is nicer. Everything else is much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I still live in the Charlestown area. I'm kinda 50/50 on the area. The shopping center whilst not the biggest has 95% of what I need and the 140 bus service to town is generally frequent enough. In general I feel safe in the area but at the same time over the last 18 months the council has been renting apartments/houses in my complex and a few unsavoury characters now live here. One guy has 80+ convictions and the Gardai keep a keen eye on him as he drove a car at a Garda a while back. The council also seemed to have moved in a family of travellers who trade in second hand cars in the car park of the complex. They've only been here about 3/4 months but already there has been a good few blazing rows so at this stage although I think the area is grand and everything for me its getting ruined by a few unsavouries. Maybe I let it bother me too much or something but for me I'm just glad I'm renting and have an easy option to move, if I had of paid some of the money my neighbours have for their homes and the council moved in known criminals and familes who have drunken arguments at all hours of the night then I'd be bloody raging about it. As it is I plan to buy my own place in the next 18-24 months, at one stage I did consider buying in the area but for me the long term lookout for where I live is that while it isn't the worst right now it has potential to go downhill pretty fast so I've made the decision to decamp by the end of 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

January wrote: »
    We usually went to the Ardmore when we lived in Finglas but if we were out with family it was to The Drogheda Lodge (O'Riordans).

To be honest, I wouldn't go to any of the pubs willingly.

The Ardmore is potentially going to be retirement home, as planning permission for a change of purpose and additional works were applied for in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

John Mason wrote: »
    the cardiff have a sign on the door saying locals only :eek:

after living in finglas for 10 years i wouldnt drink in any of the pubs usually head into phibsboro or castleknock

As I mentioned,the pubs are picky about who they serve,im almost certain the sign actually says regulars only,its for the bar staffs benefit,if they dont like the look of somebody they can refer back to the sign and explain politely that their hands are tied on the matter,many pubs employ this tactic.If you walked in sober you will be served with a smile.That said, it is very much a 'local' its not dodgy,just cliquey

• Advertisement
Advertisement