Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cake Pops Recipe

Options
  • 07-06-2014 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

I recently bought one of those silicon cake pops trays in Aldi. It's my daughters birthday in a few weeks so I thought I'd trial run it this weekend. Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe for cake pops? I've briefly googled it and some recipes include baking powder and bread soda, some are very simple. I would guess it would need to be a fairly dense mixture to hold its shape? Not fussed whether they are chocolate or vanilla.

Any experience, tips, hints and ideas would be great!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never made them, but I saw Rachel Allen make them on the tv. She made crumbs out of a madeira cake in the food processor and mixed it with melted white or milk chocolate, and it struck me that this would be a much easier way to do it than making delicate little balls of sponge. Here's a link http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2012/0925/3307-cake-pops/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, you normally make a sponge cake, blitz it up and mix it with frosting, then shape it into the balls. That'll keep it nice and moist.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Oh I thought the mold would be quicker than rolling individual balls. This is something like I have http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Sweetly-Does-It-Silicone/dp/B007J3JMUU

Guess I'll just go with a basic sponge recipe and see how it goes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Reading the reviews, it would suggest that you just use a sponge cake mixture and bake it in the molds. An interesting approach, I'd be afraid that the cake pop would be really dry then. The ones made with frosting are deliciously moist, but sure try it and report back about how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Liana*

This is a basic recipe that you could use in your mould.

Step 1: Take your cooked cake (bake it yourself or you can use store bought cake) and crumble it into a bowl. 1 standard cake mix, 1 x 8” cake or a dozen cupcakes is a good amount, depending on how many pops you require

Step 2: Take 200ml whipping cream and 200g dark chocolate and microwave for 1 minute intervals until completed combined (approx. 2 minutes total) Stir until there are no lumps.

Step 3: Pour chocolate mixture over your chocolate cake crumbs and stir until all the chocolate mixture has been absorbed and you have a workable chocolate truffle-type mix.

Step 4: If it’s a little soft to work with, refrigerate for 20 minutes prior to use.

put in your mould, dip your stick in melted chocolate before you insert it, let them set and cover in melted chocolate or candy melts when set.

• Advertisement
Advertisement