Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fees for returning to education as mature student??

Options
  • 07-06-2014 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm 26 years old and currently in full time employment but looking to return to a third level degree course. I have been reading up on course fees but cannot get a clear answer for my current situation.

Finished school 2005, 2006 did a PLC course which i finished and went into a third level college later that year. This unfortunately only lasted a few months and withdrew in January 2007. Worked full time again for a while and returned to another third level course in 2009 but again withdrew after only a short few months.

In hindsight, i was very young and immature not knowing what i wanted from life but I am absolutely confident now in knowing that i want to return to education but i cannot seem to get a clear answer on what if any fees I will be liable to pay. Id imagine after attending a third level institution before I would be liable for full fees on at least the first year of return but am also wondering if this may not be so, as the goalposts may have moved slightly now that I am returning as a mature student. Do mature students qualify for free fees on their first application? Also, from what i hear, even with free fees these days, there is still 2750 euros payable to the college as a "registration fee" is this true?

Appreciate any answers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Drezden

Depending on the time of year you left college, you will be liable to full tuition fees and registration fees (2750) or half tuition fees and registration fees for first year alone. For the remaining years of your course you'll only have to pay the registration fees.

If you were to wait one more year you wouldn't have to pay any tuition fees, you would be capable of receiving free fees again and only have to pay registration for all the years of your course. After a break of five years from studies you can receive free fees again. See number 7 on this link, I can't add a full URL since i'm a new user, just add the www. before it and you'll the source.

studentfinance.ie/mp9377/course-fees/index.html

I'm in the exact same position as you, I left college in 2009 and returning to college this year. I'm not willing to wait another year! Mature students do qualify for frees provided this the first course they are attending, in your case since your returning to college you will be subject to tuition fees for first year.

Advertisement