Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Husky care

• 07-06-2014 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Worried about my housemates dogs. 2 huskys, boy and girl. Boy is loosing his fluff and I've never noticed how thin he was before. His ribs are almost touching. Raised this with my housemate who told me he only loses weight when he's losing his coat. The girl had puppies a few days ago. She didnt even look pregnant. He feeds her (potatoes and scraps) at night. I rang him to ask hun where her food was as she left her pups to go look for food. He told me not to feed her, she was fed the night before.

Last night I couldn't take it anymore, I got them a 10kg bag of nuts in tesco (Irish rover) and some of those Chubb dog food. I'm aware it's not the best food to be feeding them, but any things better than being hungry, right?

Thing is, the boy was so hungry he ate two pots full of nuts, and I gave her nuts with Chubb food but she ate it so fast I was sure she was going to be sick.
    This is where I need help. I have no experience with caring for huskys.
    How much food should they be getting and how many times a day?
    How can I improve the girls diet as cheap as possible as they're not my dogs, I have two of my own to take care of, and I don't have money for 4 dogs.

I'm just worried for the pups as clearly she was severely malnourished during her pregnancy and she didn't give them the best start in life with being able to provide milk.

She's very protective of the pups, and I'm a bit scared of her so have not been able to get to the pups to see if they're ok.

Just need help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A bitch who has just had pups needs plenty of high quality food, and if all he's feeding them is potatoes and scraps then it sounds like neither of them is getting anywhere near the nutrition they need. It's laudable that you want to help them. You could continue feeding them the best quality food you can afford, the good stuff isn't cheap but Lidl dog food would be a vast improvement on what they're getting from him.

If he won't listen to reason then it could well be a case for the SPCA, but it could well leave you in an unlivable situation with your housemate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Wow fair play to you op sounds like you really have a good heart..

Your housemate on the other hand sounds like an ass.
    He's obliviously only has the dogs to produce back years breeder pups!

You can get cheap dog food in aldi / lidl for the digs while pretty crap food as you said they just need any food right now and as you have your own dogs to care for but giving them some food you are helping them out - well done

I would def make a call to the dspca though.
    These dogs deserve better as do the pups x

Advertisement