Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is too much?

• 07-06-2014 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

I have a 7y.o boxer that I got from the shelter last April. She was up staying with my bf parents and their 7 y.o boxer a few days ago. His mum pointed out that she drank a lot more than their doggie and also peed a lot more too.
    I have noticed that my dog drinks a lot. She gets through about 600-750ml per day. She weighs 23kgs.
    I use to feed her raw but switched back to dry for the last few months as I'm
    pregnant and just can't handle the smell and feel ofe raw meat at the minute( I'm a veggie). She will pee anytime I let her out ( every 2-3 hours. But she can go 12 hours+ at night time without going not a problem. Out on walks she probably does about 8-10 full pees on a 1hr walk, she loves peeing all over the place and kicking up the grass after her.
    Had never really thought about it much as she's been this way since we got her. She in great health( checkup last week) lovely coat, good teeth etc. she does have stinking breath, but again has had this since we got her and vet never said anything about it.
    From what I've been reading the above would signal diabetes or worse, but is there a chance this is just the way she is? Or should I get some tests done anyway?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Op to be honest the best way to find out if there is something wrong is a trip to the vet I'm afraid.

My cocker who's 9 also drinks a lot .. And he had full bloods in march and is for as a fiddle!

With regard to diabetes your right lots if water drinking is one of the signs but there are other signs too.. Has she lost weight recently ? Is she showing signs of fatigue? These are also signs of diabetes etc.

If I were you I'd bring her to the vet ASAP a urine test can give you the diabetes answer...

Otherwise some bloods may be the answer!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Agree with Cocker that you might bring her to have her urine checked - bring a sample with you, saves hassle - my dog always pees on the vets floor (hes a dog!) and they syringe up the pee for a sample!!! If she does a full wee, stick a cup/yogurt pot/whatever under her mid stream, before you head off to the vet. They can do the basic urine sample in a minute, and give you the results there & then. Not expensive. if there are any high/low indicators, you will know to have a blood check etc

Try not to worry too much - dry food will make them drink more - some dogs drink more than others, but definately better to get something checked...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

I have a nine year old boxer who also drinks a lot of water about 4 / 5 litres a day. I like you was worried and had her tested for diabetes but got the all clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Thanks for the reassurance. Tbh I don't think there is anything wrong with her. Just that someone brought it up made me think about it.
    Think I will do the urine test thing, should be easy enough to get some pee off her, just to put my mind at rest now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Please do bring in. It could be other things too, not just diabetes. Make the appointment and when you're there, the vet will probably get you to bring her outside to catch a pee sample into a kidney dish. That way the sample will be fresh, which is important as a stale sample will give false readings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Average water consumption for a dog is ~60ml per kilo of bodyweight per day so @23kg your dog is drinking below the average if drinking ~750ml per day.

This is not to say she's now not drinking enough, that's actually a decent amount. She's just not drinking excessively imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

That amount doesnt sound overly excessive to me. It may well be that your bf parents dog doesnt drink enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

From my experiences with boxers they do drink a LOT! But only when they've been running around like mental heads. They seem to be far more quick to go to the water bowl than some other breeds.

But yeah, if you feel like something is different about her, then do get her checked out.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

A dog that plays with soft toys will drink more than one that doesn't because the toy will dry their mouth.
    So the same type and weight of dog will have different needs depending on what they do.

Advertisement