Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't know what to do

Options
  • 07-06-2014 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

As the title states...

On Friday 23rd May me and staff were told to close the stores and go home. Since then no communication was received from the employer and the May salary wasn't paid (due on 28/05).

We have tried to make contact with the directors/ shareholder for an update of what is going on but to no avail.

Most of the staff are owed, May salary, holidays pay and redundancy and the P45. The problem is that the company have another store in Belfast who is still open and all the staff who works in that store were paid as normal.

The problem is that the company didn't went into administration because they are still operating. So far what we did is that we have made a formal complaint with the labour relations commissioner but a week have passed and we didn't hear anything from the.

The social office can't help us because they need either the P45 or else a letter stating that we are out of employment but as I said the employer is not engaging with us. We even got a solicitor to write them a letter that was sent via registered post but they didn't want to sign for it so the letter was returned back to the solicitor.

I'm sure that this is illegal, can someone advise what can we do.

Zeppi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Oh dear - sorry to hear this!

I don't really know where to start on this - it's very difficult.

One tactic that seems to have worked in this scenario is 'occupation' of the premises and media attention.

I'm not suggesting that you explore this - I'm just saying what has happened in other situations.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

We got all staff togiver and went down to citizens advice, we did this this when our company when in to liquidation, citizens advice were very helpful, 20 of us walking in one go, put us in to a meeting room, and talk with us for over a hour about our rights etc..,even help us fill out redundancy forms. we did end up "sitting in" as blindsider recommended which was well publicise in the media, got our back pay and redundancy in the end through the government scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

Hi guys,

Thank you for comments but the problem of sit in is that the stores are closed and one of them was emptied on Friday because the land lord served them with an eviction notice, so sit in is not an option and if we had to do a sit in in the only store that is still open we might be fired on gross misconduct for disturbing the business.

Zeppi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Zeppi - if there's a store still open, I wouldn't worry about being fired or disturbing the business. You have rights too.

BTW Scoop, I didn't recommend anything. I know what I'd do, but I'm not recommending anything.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Zeppi wrote: »
    ... we might be fired on gross misconduct for disturbing the business.

Zeppi

Fired from what?

At least that would get you a P45. And of course you would take a case for unfair dismissal, so would get jobseekers from the beginning,

• Advertisement
Advertisement