Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right re next door - selling cars from private house

Options
  • 07-06-2014 2:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭

The local council put a Romanian family into the large end house next to us. They placed the tenants through a local letting agency and they got a 4 year lease.

The original people who moved in are no longer living there and they are selling cars from the house. The police can't touch them as they are all parked on the large front garden. At the moment they have 6.

The council are putting me into the agency and they are worse than useless. They have also put up a huge satellite dish on the house which is not allowed in the estate.

Where do I go from here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Why's it not allowed? Is there a management company and have you spoken to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Contact the revenue if there is a business going on here

Maybe it's a small operation and no money will be due. But Revenue are pretty efficient anyway and they'll check it out

Though it's the council who should be doing this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I would have thought that the council would be only delighted to send them a bill for rates if they're running a business from the house. The Revenue would probably also like to get some VAT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

The management company are handing over to the council and neither care about a satellite right now.

I'm thinking of keeping the registrations of the cars for sale and mailing them to the council, revenue, letting agency and police every week. Anything else I can do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's not really a garda issue. I'm not sure what you want them to do

• Advertisement

Just to be clear. Are you saying the "Romanian" family are no longer living there?

I'm saying the people who moved in are no longer living there. It was leased to parents with 4 teenage boys. Now there is an older man living there with a young woman and two babies. Yes they are / were all Romanian.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No Pants wrote: »
    I would have thought that the council would be only delighted to send them a bill for rates if they're running a business from the house. The Revenue would probably also like to get some VAT.

If doing less than 75k they don't have to register for VAT.
    However I would contact SIMI as I believe there are regulations with regards selling cars commercially as oppose to one off car sales

I gather you've spoken to them OP, or one of your neighbours has, as you know they are Romanian. Have you asked them about the cars?

I gather you've spoken to them OP, or one of your neighbours has, as you know they are Romanian. Have you asked them about the cars?

You seem to be only interested on whether or but I'm annoyed because if their nationality which is off topic and unhelpful. The agency told me they are Romanian if that information is of importance to you. I tried to talk to one if them before to ask him to slow down when driving in and out of our shared driveway and he just looked at me and walked away.

• Advertisement

Well you brought it up so I thought maybe it was relevant to the thread somehow?

Is the council lease with the family or the agency?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I have read through the posts and to be honest I am not clear on what your exact issue is? The cars are parked in their own garden outside their own house it seems - are they taking up any of your driveway or your space? Or is it that they are selling cars from their house?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

What laws are they breaking exactly? Its no illegal to sell a car from your own home.

Please explain more what they are doing wrong?

They are selling 5/6 cars per week while claiming benefits. There is huge traffic to and from the house day and night with people parking on our drive and blocking the road when they are looking at the cars.

It mightn't stress you out but it does me.

I think the lease is with the council.

Report them to the social welfare if they're on benefits and making money elsewhere.

CaraMay wrote: »
    They are selling 5/6 cars per week while claiming benefits.
    In that case, let the Social know as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

It didnt stress you out enough to mention any of that in your original post though? You said they had 6 cars and a satellite dish which is pretty irrelevant. Now its 6 cars a week and they are claiming benefits. You came here looking for advice, if you arent going to give the proper facts dont get ratty when people are wondering what the issue is.

Firstly the gardai are going to have no interest in this, dont be wasting their time. If they are claiming benefits and operating a business selling cars then report them to social welfare for benefit fraud.

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/ReportFraud.aspx

Have reported them this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

They are selling 5/6 cars per week while claiming benefits. There is huge traffic to and from the house day and night with people parking on our drive and blocking the road when they are looking at the cars.

It mightn't stress you out but it does me.

I think the lease is with the council.
    How could you possibly know if they are in receipt of social welfare payments?

ted1 wrote: »
    If doing less than 75k they don't have to register for VAT.
    However I would contact SIMI as I believe there are regulations with regards selling cars commercially as oppose to one off car sales
    OP says they are selling 5 or 6 cars a week. At that rate they won't be long breaching that threshold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Selling 6 cars a week from the front garden of a terrace house? Bill Cullen would give that lad a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

They are allowed put up a satellite dish ( so they can receive programmes from their home)

Mickey-mouse rules in housing estates < EU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

gctest50 wrote: »
    They are allowed put up a satellite dish ( so they can receive programmes from their home)

Mickey-mouse rules in housing estates < EU

This has been done to death already but you're wrong :p The European law means that they are entitled to receive home programming but it doesn't mean that they are entitled to get it everywhere. Moving to an area that specifically prohibits dishes when there are other areas that allow them means they cannot claim to be discriminated against under this law.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

They are selling 5/6 cars per week while claiming benefits.

Theres no way in the world they are selling a car every single day of the week. I can guarantee you that. And benefits at the same time.

So they cant even advertise or have a sign to say they sell cars yet every single day people show up to their house with 1000s to hand over.

If they where selling cars they are on DoneDeal. Simply go there and see if they are placing ads every day. If by some chance they are report the links to welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Axwell wrote: »
    You said they had 6 cars and a satellite dish which is pretty irrelevant.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the issues of welfare or tax; these two matters are clear breaches of planning and should be enforced by the council. THere is no planning exemption for a satellite dish ont he front of the house (irrespective of whether the management company assents to it) and you cannot have that number of "parking spaces" on the garden of a property without plannign permission.

All of this is the council's problem. They are the landlord and they are the enforcement authority. The OP needs to approach it in that manner.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't bother with the issues of welfare or tax; these two matters are clear breaches of planning and should be enforced by the council. THere is no planning exemption for a satellite dish ont he front of the house (irrespective of whether the management company assents to it) and you cannot have that number of "parking spaces" on the garden of a property without plannign permission.

All of this is the council's problem. They are the landlord and they are the enforcement authority. The OP needs to approach it in that manner.

Thank you for your constructive post. This is what I needed to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

RustyNut wrote: »
    Selling 6 cars a week from the front garden of a terrace house? Bill Cullen would give that lad a job.

He is in no position to be offerong jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

RustyNut wrote: »

Bill Cullen is working for SsangYong. Bill would sell more cars working for that guy in his front garden.

Just found out from agency that there are 8 adults registered to live in the property - grandparents & 4 sons plus 2 wives and their 2 kids. It's a 4 bed house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

That's actually 10 or am I reading it wrong? Where is problem with 8 people living in 4 bedroom house? Possibly 8 bed spaces or more if kids have bunk beds. I'm a bit lost as to what your "issue" is or what you feel is wrong?

Advertisement