Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right re next door - selling cars from private house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Well you brought it up so I thought maybe it was relevant to the thread somehow?

Is the council lease with the family or the agency?
    It is relevant. We know what sort of family the OP is talking about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

That's actually 10 or am I reading it wrong? Where is problem with 8 people living in 4 bedroom house? Possibly 8 bed spaces or more if kids have bunk beds. I'm a bit lost as to what your "issue" is or what you feel is wrong?

I said 8 adults. Yes it is ridiculous to stick 8 adults who don't work into a house. It's like a bus station next door.

Anyway am going to ask for this thread to be closed as few responses have been directed at the questions asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

murphaph wrote: »
    It is relevant. We know what sort of family the OP is talking about.
    I'm guessing they're a close one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Contact the revenue if there is a business going on here

Maybe it's a small operation and no money will be due. But Revenue are pretty efficient anyway and they'll check it out

Though it's the council who should be doing this

Revene are pretty efficient?! Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

athtrasna wrote: »
    This has been done to death already but you're wrong :p The European law means that they are entitled to receive home programming but it doesn't mean that they are entitled to get it everywhere. Moving to an area that specifically prohibits dishes when there are other areas that allow them means they cannot claim to be discriminated against under this law.

How about these :

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/large-height-adjustable-silver-satellite-stand-r61rn

free standing satellite dish stand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Probably not allowed on management company property which gardens and balconies are. Depends on each development

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Is there such a thing as a designated trading area ? That house would not be one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

Contact the county council OP.

It is a residental area, you cannot run a commercial enterprise on that scale from which customers are served (a car lot in the front garden) without planning permission.
    I would also contact the social welfare, if those on the lease have sublet the property they are in breach of their lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

CaraMay wrote: »
    I said 8 adults. Yes it is ridiculous to stick 8 adults who don't work into a house. It's like a bus station next door.

It's a 4brm house, you cannot realistically expect it to be quiet!

OP, I think you have an issue if they are running a business from a residential property. But it's a planning enforcement issue.

The rest of your concerns are just nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

CaraMay,

Well done and fair play to you for reporting these individuals - regardless of their background.

there is a number of things you can continue to do - I'm in the motortrade, and its people like this, that affect genuine operators like me as they sell rubbish, ruin the trades reputation, claim benefits whilst trrading, deal in cash, pay no taxes, no vat, offer customers no warranty, no nothing.

Continue to:

Take regs of cars

Track down these cars on offer on DD, or adverts, and print off the ads, and prices offered - note how many different phone numbers they use. Also, note when they are removed from DD/adverts and are sold. You'll quickly be able to calculate their turnover (sales) and see if they are indeed over the VAT reg Threshold

Check with Dept of Transport in Shannon, if that address has a car sales business operating from it. A DPT. OF TRANSPORT GARAGE ID would be required to trade legally. If not, inform them of the activities from that address.

Also, write formally to you local CC, and inform them of the commercial business taking place next door, and the turnover of sales taking place. Inform them they are losing RATES.

Write formally to REVENUE -but make contact with an individual in Revenue who you can talk to personally and personally email direct - take pics of cars at the premises, document all regs/sales - and sends pics, Ad's of DD/Adverts to Revenue. Follow up with the contact in Revenue, and keep onto them, ask them for progress reports on their investigation after you furnish them with all they need to look into these peoples operations.

If there is any UK reg cars there, call CUSTOMS - and report them. These cars will have duty outstanding on them, and CUSTOMS will be around for a visit in no time.

As suggested by someone contacting the SIMI, waste of time - they are not a gov body.

Hope this help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NickD

I don't really see the issue with 8 adults and 2 kids in a 4 bed house. To be fair it actually seems like the council is using the properties available to them properly, nice to see it really. I think we are just used to the Celtic Tiger idea that every child needs their own room (and maybe a playroom too) it was far from that I was raised, my two sisters and I shared a room and the four brothers were in another!

The cars I would have a problem with, although if he can manage to sell 6 cars a week, more power to him! Maybe he should consider opening a garage though, rather than using your shared driveway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

NickD wrote: »
    although if he can manage to sell 6 cars a week, more power to him! .

whilst on Benefits?

NickD wrote: »
    I don't really see the issue with 8 adults and 2 kids in a 4 bed house. To be fair it actually seems like the council is using the properties available to them properly, nice to see it really. I think we are just used to the Celtic Tiger idea that every child needs their own room (and maybe a playroom too) it was far from that I was raised, my two sisters and I shared a room and the four brothers were in another!

I would think that there's a chance it's overinhabited by PRTB/Council standards. We had a large 4 bed house that we rented (all above board) for a while and it was listed as max 8 bed spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mb30

Thank god I'm not living next door to you. Wouldnt it be alot less stressful if you just kept to yourself and minded your own business. If these neighbours selling cars were Irish and spoke with Foxrock accents you'd wish them well.

mb30 wrote: »
    Thank god I'm not living next door to you. Wouldnt it be alot less stressful if you just kept to yourself and minded your own business. If these neighbours selling cars were Irish and spoke with Foxrock accents you'd wish them well.

And let the neighbour turn a residential area into a commercial enterprise against the law, earn money as a little nixer (also against the law) while screwing the system? I'd rather have the OP as a neighbour thanks!

So, if the house next door had six cars parked in their garden and didn't pay the due taxes, therefore undercutting legitimate local businesses who do have to pay rates and taxes, you'd be okay with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Romanian and Romani, know the difference, or you could be a....

Romanian and Romani, know the difference, or you could be a....
    dyslexic?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

More like than god we aren't living next to you, with an attitude like that.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    whilst on Benefits?

No, not while on benefits, that was why I suggested he open a garage. If he can manage to sell six cars a week (which I suspect may be a slight exaggeration) then he clearly doesn't need benefits.

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    I would think that there's a chance it's overinhabited by PRTB/Council standards. We had a large 4 bed house that we rented (all above board) for a while and it was listed as max 8 bed spaces.

It may well be, but I honestly would rather see the house full, particularly a council house, than it being given to a family with 2 kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭twogunkid

conorhal wrote: »

It is a residental area, you cannot run a commercial enterprise on that scale from which customers are served (a car lot in the front garden) without planning permission.
    I would also contact the social welfare, if those on the lease have sublet the property they are in breach of their lease.[/Q

CORRECT

Also As per Class 4, PART 1, Schedule 2 planning developments regulations 2001 satellite dish antennae on front of house require planning permission--no exceptions.
    Report unauthorised development ( dish ) to planning enforcement at the council
    Revenue will follow up on trading as they are losing vat.#
    Welfare will not pay rent for a car trading outlet.
    Council will want property rates and water rates for trading outlet.
    Health and safety will have concerns re garage at a unsuitable location.
    Your list of possibilities to frustrate this venture are endless.

You shouldn't have to put up with this---good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭twogunkid

twogunkid wrote: »
    conorhal wrote: »

I would also contact the social welfare, if those on the lease have sublet the property they are in breach of their lease.[/Q

CORRECT

Also As per Class 4, PART 1, Schedule 2 planning developments regulations 2001 satellite dish antennae on front of house require planning permission--no exceptions.
    Report unauthorised development ( dish ) to planning enforcement at the council
    Revenue will follow up on trading as they are losing vat.#
    Welfare will not pay rent for a car trading outlet.
    Council will want property rates and water rates for trading outlet.
    Health and safety will have concerns re garage at a unsuitable location.
    Your list of possibilities to frustrate this venture are endless.

You shouldn't have to put up with this---good luck

PS If any of the bodies mentioned fail to follow up on your complaints report them to the office of the Ombudsman 01 6395600

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Hi Op,

I am really sorry about some of the comments you are getting here. I lived in an Estate where there was a very high level of houses rented (mostly to Eastern Health Board Tenants) and had the exact same issues as you have and I have to say the stress was horrendous.

There were cars (and I use the word loosely, these looked like death traps) sold from the front of the houses and when I mean front, they were in the garden, in the driveway, on the grass verges, on the greens. They knocked down walls getting in and out and just left blocks everywhere. The place looked like a tip. Oil stains all over the road. There were satellite dishes hung over the front door. The size of these could have launched space shuttles and the way they were put up looked like they could crown anyone at any minute. Grasses were never cut, the houses were totally run down, curtains off the windows. All types of individuals coming and going at all hours of the night, blocking driveways, oil on the road, etc etc. It was horrible for me living there.

Anyone who lives in such an Estate will know EXACTLY what the OP's issues are and what type of people these are.

I paid a lot of money for my HOME. I worked my ass off to get it. It was my castle, not an industrial Estate, and I wanted to feel proud of it. I wanted to live and not bother anyone, and for them not to bother me. I wanted access to my driveway, I did not want to worry about shady characters coming and going (I live alone) and I wanted to be proud of what I was working to achieve. I wanted to have neighbours that I could rely on to leave a key with and pop in for a cup of sugar. Very stepford wives, but so what!

OP, report them to Social Welfare, report them to Revenue. Report them to the Council. You need to be pushy. In my case, I told them in no uncertain terms that I was going to report them so they were a bit weary around me and toned it down a bit. I have to say you totally have my sympathies and I hope some of the rest of you never experience it.

Advertisement