Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Body Fat Percentage

• 07-06-2014 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭

So I've been measured a few times recently by an instructor in my gym and I've got my body fat down to 26.6%. The first time I had the measurements taken, it was taken three times from four sites, tricep, subscapula, suprailliac and abdominal.

Today, the gym had a woman in doing more detailed measurements and it was free to spend a half an hour with her and get the measurements done up.

The sum of 6 skin folds excl. bicep and iliac crest is 16.4 % and the sum of 8 skin fold sites says by body fat % is between 17 and 19! :eek:

That's a HUGE difference.

Is there different charts or something? I said it to her and she said she's using the same booklet with the chart on it as the gym instructor does.

I think it goes without saying I want to believe the woman today! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭cmyk

Consider it only an estimate, but it really needs to be done by the same person and with the same method each time. It also depends on experience and in my opinion general fatness.

There are other markers too you can use, photos, clothes and tape measurements...when they all correlate you're heading the right way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

more data measured = more accurate results.

but what difference does this new information make?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

But only if the data was measured accurately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

cmyk wrote: »
    Consider it only an estimate, but it really needs to be done by the same person and with the same method each time. It also depends on experience and in my opinion general fatness.

There are other markers too you can use, photos, clothes and tape measurements...when they all correlate you're heading the right way.

The woman who took my measurements today certainly has more credentials to her name.
    Looking at my measurements using the tape, she got similar measurements as the gym instructor.

If the 17-19% is right (I'm 4 foot 10, 8 stone 2, 29" waist) then it's just a huge boost psychologically.
    Hanley wrote: »
    But only if the data was measured accurately.

Yup. I don't want to say that the gym instructor is wrong. I mean she's qualified, she can't be that wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Mars Bar wrote: »
    The woman who took my measurements today certainly has more credentials to her name.
    Looking at my measurements using the tape, she got similar measurements as the gym instructor.

If the 17-19% is right (I'm 4 foot 10, 8 stone 2, 29" waist) then it's just a huge boost psychologically.

Yup. I don't want to say that the gym instructor is wrong. I mean she's qualified, she can't be that wrong!

Lots of factors can cause bodyfat numbers to be ±5% including hydration, food intake, time of day, person taking measurements, whether they have rounded up or down, calculation used and so on and so on.

No industry qualification means anything with regards to bodyfat.

Take a picture of yourself, put it in an envelope and give it to someone to keep for at least four weeks. Take another picture then and compare.

Keep up the good work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Mars Bar wrote: »

and if its wrong it'll be a blow to your confidence. better to see it for what it is, an arbitrary number that is wildly inaccurate and fluctuates dramatically. dont rely on these figures to measure your progress, use the methods others have suggested, take a picture review every 4-6 weeks. judge by how you feel and look rather than inconsistent figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lolajo

Anyone know where the best place to buy the Accu-Measure Fitness 3000 Personal Body Fat Tester is?

Other have other suggestions for measuring body fat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

and if its wrong it'll be a blow to your confidence. better to see it for what it is, an arbitrary number that is wildly inaccurate and fluctuates dramatically. dont rely on these figures to measure your progress, use the methods others have suggested, take a picture review every 4-6 weeks. judge by how you feel and look rather than inconsistent figures.

I've had a look at the body fat % pictures and I certainly look to be in among the 26%. I wanted to believe it but to be honest, I didn't really.

Advertisement