Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying online insurance t&c's

Options
  • 07-06-2014 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Wondering could someone with an insurance/legal background help here please:

I was convicted of drunk driving in 2011 and was disqualified for three years.
    I didn't apply to have it restored earlier as I feel I was given that ban for a reason and before the moral police start to ride in on their high horses (as I've seen on other similar posts) I have since learned my lesson and have had three years of public transport and deeply regret my actions which will never be repeated again.
    I'll be coming back to the insurance market in the coming months.
    I've got plenty advice from other posts about what insurers to look at. (Any more tips welcome)
    But my main question is this:
    In 2016 it will be five years since my conviction.
    Having looking at Axas policy docs and conditions I see that when buying insurance online they ask the following;

Conditions to get car insurance online include: “In the past 5 years, have never been convicted of any motoring or criminal offence or have any prosecution pending (other than penalty points).”

So in 2016 when I answer this, assuming this hasn't changed.
    Can I answer this as no and continue to purchase insurance through their online service?

I'd be wary of it and certainly don't want to pull a fast one or anything but it seems to be fairly black and white on their website.

Can anyone assist here please?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

If 5 years from the conviction have passed (not the offence), you would be fine. Be aware that many insurers ask "have you ever had a conviction........... "(no time frame) so you must tell them going back to the year dot, but if AXA state 5 years, then you are grand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi all,

Wondering could someone with an insurance/legal background help here please:

I was convicted of drunk driving in 2011 and was disqualified for three years.
    I didn't apply to have it restored earlier as I feel I was given that ban for a reason and before the moral police start to ride in on their high horses (as I've seen on other similar posts) I have since learned my lesson and have had three years of public transport and deeply regret my actions which will never be repeated again.
    I'll be coming back to the insurance market in the coming months.
    I've got plenty advice from other posts about what insurers to look at. (Any more tips welcome)
    But my main question is this:
    In 2016 it will be five years since my conviction.
    Having looking at Axas policy docs and conditions I see that when buying insurance online they ask the following;

Conditions to get car insurance online include: “In the past 5 years, have never been convicted of any motoring or criminal offence or have any prosecution pending (other than penalty points).”

So in 2016 when I answer this, assuming this hasn't changed.
    Can I answer this as no and continue to purchase insurance through their online service?

I'd be wary of it and certainly don't want to pull a fast one or anything but it seems to be fairly black and white on their website.

Can anyone assist here please?

Thanks.

Many/Most of the on-line insurers will not quote if you have less that 2/3 years no claims bonus, some also have a question like have you ever had insurance before.

Also be carefully of how a question on how long you have held a driving licence is worded, if you past the test on 2006, and you state in 2016 that you have held a licence for ten years, that might not be exactly correct, the time disqualified might not count.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Boredboarder

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I'll probably end up going through a broker or having to call the insurers and tell them the full story anyway. But I was surprised by the wording used by AXA. I had expected to NEVER be able to use the quick,online quotation services again!

Thanks again, if anyone else has something else to add I'd like to hear all angles.

Advertisement