Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo Z580 won't boot

Options
  • 07-06-2014 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Turned my laptop on this morning for the first time in 2 days. When I turn it on it just gets stuck at the Lenovo opening screen and the loading icon just keeps going around in circles. Nothing happens from there.

Trying to boot in Safe Mode does nothing too, it just gets stuck at the Lenovo screen but doesn't even have the loading icon.

If I try to Repair My Computer it does nothing.

I was getting Automatic Repair Couldn't Repair Your PC too.

If seems to be overheating when trying to boot, would I be right in thinking it could be a motherboard issue? I took the back of it off and put it on it's side left it for an hour and tried to boot again but no joy.

No OS disc and I really want to try avoiding a clean install as I've so much data on it. Laptop is only 14 months old!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Sounds like a hard disk failure to me, did you test the hard disk?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

In the process of removing it from the laptop and putting it into an external casing to test.

Broke my screw driver so only got a hold of another one there, I've removed the hard drive put it into an external box. Plugged it into another laptop and I'm getting a "Do you want to Scan & Fix" prompt. So the issue is with the HDD. Any way to resolve this? Literally have so much stuff I don't have backed up on it.

Broke my screw driver so only got a hold of another one there, I've removed the hard drive put it into an external box. Plugged it into another laptop and I'm getting a "Do you want to Scan & Fix" prompt. So the issue is with the HDD. Any way to resolve this? Literally have so much stuff I don't have backed up on it.

Click don't scan and fix and does windows mount the drive?

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Click don't scan and fix and does windows mount the drive?

Nick

Clicked "Continue Without Scanning" and I can get into the drives files, etc...

• Advertisement

Clicked "Continue Without Scanning" and I can get into the drives files, etc...

Backup your important files then check the drive :) . you can use something like Seatools or Chkdsk to do this, I'd recommend Seatools

Nick

Backing them up at the moment, flippin' mothers' laptop had feck all space so have to do it in work. Any recommendations of where to backup for future reference? Can't handle another scare like this. Would partitioning be worth while, keeping the OS on C and the rest of my important data on D?

Backing them up at the moment, flippin' mothers' laptop had feck all space so have to do it in work. Any recommendations of where to backup for future reference? Can't handle another scare like this. Would partitioning be worth while, keeping the OS on C and the rest of my important data on D?

Partitioning isn't much use as if the harddisk fails both partitions will likely be affected. The best method is to do a regular (say weekly) backup to an external hard disk. If you get an external hard disk that matches or is bigger than the source (i.e: drive in laptop) you can do a full system image backup. Some versions of windows have a good tool to do this, although I find the free Easus Backup works fine with no messing about. It's fairly self explanatory as well :) .
    For small files documents, photos etc. something like DropBox, Google Drive and OneDrive are good cloud backup services.

Advertisement