Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible copying in projects?

• 07-06-2014 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I was finished my school project before most others and as a result my teacher gave out mine as a template for the others in class, I'm worried some of them may have taken some text directly from it, what happens if the examiner sees that some sections are the same in content?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭LiverpoolLad95

I was finished my school project before most others and as a result my teacher gave out mine as a template for the others in class, I'm worried some of them may have taken some text directly from it, what happens if the examiner sees that some sections are the same in content?

Sickening, some eijit probably did. I'm in the same position as you. Pretty sure someone stole my Geo project last month, worried someone copied it. :(

Also, 2 weeks ago someone stole my History and Geo Folder out of my bag (which I left in the Classroom which should of been locked :mad:) and the folder had all my essays and answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

That's such an idiotic thing for a teacher to do. Did (s)he even ask you if (s)he could do that?

I imagine some lazy eejit did copy it unfortunately. If they notice copying they might contact your school and ask for proof that it isn't copied, I think only the person who copied it gets in trouble though, so you should be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 thearchitect

Hotale.com wrote: »
    That's such an idiotic thing for a teacher to do. Did (s)he even ask you if (s)he could do that?

I came in one day, I was looking for it and I asked him where it was and he said [student] had it :L I'll be worried now til the 14th of August :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your teacher is supposed to sign a form saying each project is the candidate's own work. Ask them can they assure you the other person did not copy yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

This happened to a few people in my History class. 3 lads doing the one topic, 1 of them took it seriously, other 2 didn't. Queue major copying for the last week before it had to be handed in

Teacher looked over everyones, and knew that someone had copied from someone for that project, and asked for them to own up and they'll be given the chance to do a new project before the final deadline.

None of them said anything, and all 3 of them were submitted. Never found out how any of them done in the project part, but the lad who actually done the essay got a C1, his lowest grade among all subjects, so i assume he got very little/no marks for it.

Moral of the story, don't let anyone copy your project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

Wow that teacher sucks I would be pissed off so much..eat his/hers head off...My teacher said that if they do see copying not only will the students suffer but the teacher can also be Banned from teaching for a certain Number of years so I don't understand why he would risk that plus you did the work they didn't you shouldn't have gave it to them or let the teacher give it out

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

I would blow a fuse.
    Hopefully because yours is the original the examiner will notice that from the high amount of details compared to the others and therefore you won't be penalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Get one of your parents to ring the principal, thats very bad practice and tantamount to facilitating cheating. You have every right to ring the SEC also and express your concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

I know how you feel OP. The exact same happened to me for my JC science coursework. I was the first one finished and I had spent ages on it. It had taken photos, talked to 3rd level students about it, lots of research in scientific journals and so on. I was devastated when I got a B in science and even though it is an excellent grade, I was disappointed considering other weaker students who didn't but in as much effort as I did. It took me a while to find out what went wrong but then the penny dropped. After a little bit of detective work, my assumptions were true. Copying.

If I was in your shoes, I would kick up stick, demand a meeting with the principal and the history teacher if necessary. I know that you are in the middle of your exams but you only have one bite at the cherry and that is now. Get your parents/guardians in on this too. This is too serious to be swept under the carpet and ignored. Threaten the school that if they don't sort it out immediately that you will go down the legal route. By the way, have you got some evidence e.g. would other students have seen this, has this happened before in your school etc?

I wish you the very best of luck. Gosh, it's really terrible to this that this carry on is still going on in schools today. So much for mission statements!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saxo

It's happened to me too with my engineering portfolio, gave it to a friend who said he just wanted the titles and when I looked back again he had all of it copied! absolutely raging I went to our teacher and said it to him cause I don't wanna lose marks over it, and my engineering teacher told him to change the wording around instead of making him delete it! its fairly obvious that it's copied off mine even when its been changed around, even took some of the photos i had too. so annoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 thearchitect

Wow that teacher sucks I would be pissed off so much..eat his/hers head off...My teacher said that if they do see copying not only will the students suffer but the teacher can also be Banned from teaching for a certain Number of years so I don't understand why he would risk that plus you did the work they didn't you shouldn't have gave it to them or let the teacher give it out

Interesting about the teacher being banned.. Maybe the chances of being found are low because the teacher would risk allowing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

That's news to me, I've never heard of a teacher being banned from teaching because students work was copied.

OP, if you are concerned about it, ask your parents to talk to the principal of your school. Start with that, but concentrate on your exams. The school will be open until the end of June and panicking now won't help you during the week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They won't be banned, but it's very unprofessional of the teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

That kind of thing is unacceptable IMO. I would never dream of allowing a student "look at" another student's project which is due to be submitted. It's very unfair on the student that did the work. I always have samples from previous years, which can be used to get a grasp of what is expected.

Advertisement