Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 - as seen on TV (commentary, pundits, adverts, the whole shebang)

• 07-06-2014 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

For all the excitement and controversy on the field of play its also a battle for the win on the small screen.

RTE - Bilo the main man in the big chair, presumably Peter Collins or Darragh Maloney will be on the late shift.

Panalists John Giles, Eamon Dunphy, Liam Brady, Ronnie Whelan, Kenny Cunningham, Richie Sadlier, plus Didi Hamman, Ossie Ardiles, Neil Lennon, Brad Friedel and Paul Clement (ex Real Madrid coach who could be the ace in the pack).

Commentary mainly from Ray Houghton, Brian Kerr, Jim Beglin and Trevor Steven

BBC - Gary Lineker hosts with among other Rio Ferdinand, Terry Henry Clarence Seedorf, Juninho, Neil Lennon (who is clearly coining it) Alan Hansen, Alan Shearer, Chris Waddle, Martin Keown, Kevin Kilbane, Mark Lawrenson, Danny Mills, Danny Murphy, Phil Neville, Robbie Savage, Pat Nevin, Jason Roberts and John Hartson. Some of whom will be on both tv and radio and some on radio only.

Commentary from Conor McNamara, Guy Mowbray, Jonathan Pearce, Simon Brotherton, Peter Drury, John Motson (?)

ITV - main presenter Adrian Chiles and presenter Matt Smith with Gordon "Velocity" Strachan, Ian Wright, Roy Keane, Patrick Vieira, Gus Poyet, Lee Dixon, Fabio Cannavaro, Glenn Hoddle, Martin O’Neill and Andros Townsend, plous reporter Gabriel Clarke.

Commentators Clive Tyldesley and Sam Matterface with co-commentators Andy Townsend and Clarke Carlisle

Sky er nope! :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Always great to see sky sports news try and fill the void, standing outside various stadiums. Love it when terrestrial, free tv have the big tournaments. Even ITV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

mike65 wrote: »

ITV - Andros Townsend,
    Kind of bizarre.

Anyway, RTE have the best panelists for me but are severely let down by their commentary team.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

RTE, all day, every day.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

BBC, no question about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

BBC definitely the most impressive IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Paul Clement (ex Real Madrid coach who could be the ace in the pack).
    Has he left Madrid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

K4t wrote: »
    Kind of bizarre.

Anyway, RTE have the best panelists for me but are severely let down by their commentary team.

I think Andy Townsend is just trying to make himself seem more cool :pac:

But RTE definitely for me. Could not bare to listen to Henry doing analysis, I've no idea why people like him as a pundit. Friedel always speaks well all the times I've heard him so that could be a good choice for RTE, Clement will be interesting too I think.

Seedorf is the only one on BBC I'd tune in to listen to, although Danny Murphy is decent enough when he has been on Match of the Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Rio and Henry with a smug Linekar and Shearer.

No!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Rio was aweful during that top 50 world cup moments. Although i think it was scripted for 5 year olds.

RTE for me...as long as Houghton isnt involved too much.

Rio was aweful during that top 50 world cup moments. Although i think it was scripted for 5 year olds.

RTE for me...as long as Houghton isnt involved too much.

He's commentating on the opener

Seems to be teamed with George. Probably have final also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Billo's swan song isn't it?

Can see Dunphy throwing a chair or something at Brady just to mark the occasion.
    Best analyst for me is Hamann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

CSF wrote: »
    BBC definitely the most impressive IMO.

Why?
    They cant even debate with eachother. They just agree about everything. Doesnt matter who they have in studio.

And then there will be the painful jokes.

I cannot wait for rte. What a comedy show... Id say Brady and Sadlier will have a major bust up. Remember them going mad about Trap last year.

Robbie Savage is opinionated which I like, he should be on more, much more likely to say what he thinks than most on BBC, whether he's right or not, he doesn't sit on the fence. I'd choose BBC or ITV for commentary over RTE (free in to England etc I find a bit jarring) but the before, half time and after stuff is all much of a muchness on whatever channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Paul Clement could be a great coup for RTE.

But I will more than likely watch the BBC because there will be no ads and all round better pundits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Billo's swan song isn't it?

Can see Dunphy throwing a chair or something at Brady just to mark the occasion.
    Best analyst for me is Hamann.

Still think RTE have the best punditry going aside from Sky really. Brad Friedel is a good addition but poor Ossie Ardiles doesn't fit in well imo. Ronnie Whelan and Kenny Cunningham are as boring as watching paint dry. Poor Johnny Giles should step down after this, he barely watches any football outside the Premier League. Brady, Sadlier, Durphy and Hamann are good. They should have got Graeme Sounness back imo. Their Commentary is awful but so I will skip over to BBC or ITV for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Adrian Chiles and friends doing some unexpected filling in on ITV now due to a Thunderstorm, always good to see things not going to plan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Wright , hoddle, Dixon , and Childs waffling on here is driving me to drink! Fk it off to the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ian Wright, ****ing hell. what a brainless pundit (im being kind)

Wright , hoddle, Dixon , and Childs waffling on here is driving me to drink! Fk it off to the pub.

and going to be waffled on by drunken people is better :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Crackle wrote: »
    Has he left Madrid?

Nope, not ex at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought he'd decided to seek a management position.

I thought he'd decided to seek a management position.

he did.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/25/paul-clement-real-madrid-carlo-ancelotti

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Still there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Headshot wrote: »

I think if Roy Keane was still with ITV he would of lamped Wright by now :)
    Does anyone find Andy Townsend annoying as co-commentator? :mad:

Gael85 wrote: »
    I think if Roy Keane was still with ITV he would of lamped Wright by now :)

Surely EVERYONE finds Townsend annoying.

Gael85 wrote: »

Yes very annoying.

Then I remember meeting him walking out of Temple Street just before the Irish team went to World Cup in 94 and for things like that I kind of forgive him for being annoying and just change the channel if the game is on somewhere else :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

BBC and ITV win rights to 2018 and 2022 Fifa World Cup finals

The BBC will broadcast the 2018 and 2022 World Cup finals in Russia and Qatar after signing a new rights deal with Fifa.
    The new agreement, shared with ITV, covers TV, radio and online coverage.
    It continues the free to air broadcasting of World Cup tournaments to UK television viewers.
    The 2018 finals will be the 14th consecutive World Cup that the BBC and ITV broadcast together, dating back to the 1966 competition in England

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27750996

Good news, although I think it was predicted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Yes very annoying.

Then I remember meeting him walking out of Temple Street just before the Irish team went to World Cup in 94 and for things like that I kind of forgive him for being annoying and just change the channel if the game is on somewhere else :pac:

You would hardly know he played for Ireland if you only heard him commentate. In fact you'd probably think he played about 80 times for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Delighted that Hamann is on RTE again. I remember seeing him on MOTD a couple of months ago and was worried BBC might have taken him for WC coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Aenaes wrote: »
    Delighted that Hamann is on RTE again. I remember seeing him on MOTD a couple of months ago and was worried BBC might have taken him for WC coverage.

Yeah I'd say RTE landing him raised a few eyebrows.

No Souness this year. Always a strong character and someone who would argue with Dunphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Headshot wrote: »

not to mention a cocky arrogant thug, sets a bad example having him on

he broke steve ogrizovic nose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Surely EVERYONE finds Townsend annoying.
    Go on,, Go on..take him on..Its well known that Townsend is the most annoying commentator in the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I doubt I am the only one to think that Chiles was really shown up last night. He hadn't a clue how to smoothly carry on during the enforced delay of the game, it was all stuttering and even flat out repeating that he hoped they didn't have to talk for the next hour. Totally out of his depth hosting live TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I doubt I am the only one to think that Chiles was really shown up last night. He hadn't a clue how to smoothly carry on during the enforced delay of the game, it was all stuttering and even flat out repeating that he hoped they didn't have to talk for the next hour. Totally out of his depth hosting live TV.

He is a total plank soon as I see him appear on any show you know what's to come. Just pray he doesn't have to interview anyone....... One particular time sticks out in my mind I wonder can anyone figure it out............. Ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

It'll be RTE for me. ITV is poison. I simply adore the RTE panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

More Sadlier and Hamann on RTE please.

And since ads are mentioned in the title, the preWC ads have been awful. Remember Cantona and co. playing for mankind's soul in Hell? Now we have players drinking Pepsi to some lame music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Clarence Seedorf is my favourite analyst and for that reason alone the Beeb get my vote.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ill be avoiding Ferdinand and Adrian Chiles for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Watching the analysis is a chore 99% of the time so I won't be tuning in to much of it at all. Enough time spent watching 270 mins of football a day. Commentary-wise, I always find Brian Kerr entertaining and more knowledgable than people give him credit for. And Cannavaro is the only one that might have me leaving on the tv after a game.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd say RTE landing him raised a few eyebrows.

Not+sure+if+pun+is+intentional+_96f05a4706fc646f8543e7177aba968c.jpg

Aenaes wrote: »
    Not+sure+if+pun+is+intentional+_96f05a4706fc646f8543e7177aba968c.jpg

Kenny's brows. Didi blinks.

Neeson wrote: »
    Kenny's brows. Didi blinks.

Exactly. Wasn't sure if the phrasing was intentional or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Kenny's eyebrows wander around his face, but to be fair, Didi does have one eyebrow up at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So damn excited.now there is just something special about a world cup in Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Neeson wrote: »
    No Souness this year. Always a strong character and someone who would argue with Dunphy

Agreed, he works very well with Brady and Dunphy in particular. I don't think he's been on RTE since he made the rape comment though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I have a feeling Souness might now be cotracted solely to Sky, him, Neville, Carragher and Redknapp!

I vaguely remember him saying it in a newspaper article or something cos he said he wouldn't be able to do the RTEpunditry and said he'd miss it.

Then again maybe I just dreamt it :pac:

I think Souness is working for BeIN Sports for the World Cup.

I'd say it's better money than he would get here or in England and he gets to spend a month in the sun as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

RTE for me. Sadlier and Hamann are both decent, we can expect some comedy from Bill and the boys, and then there's Aprés Match as well!

RTE mainly for me aswell and some ITV. Looking at that list for the BBC, I think I'll be staying clear. Ferdinand, Roberts and Hartson? No thanks. There's a reason why Henry is only trotted out for Arsenal/France matches, likewise with Seedorf for AC Miland/Netherlands.

• Advertisement
Advertisement