Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 - as seen on TV (commentary, pundits, adverts, the whole shebang)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Ossie: Korea have always been the best team in Asia footballistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Ossie just made a new word footballistically

"Korea have always been the best team in Asia footballistically"

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Giles clearly winging it here big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

This could be good,Kerr is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Seriously love the Russian national anthem. It's badass. Immediately makes me think of Ivan Drago saying "If he dies, he dies".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Only Kerr could crowbar a reference to Tralee Dynamos into Korea vs Russia commentary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Tim Vickery, the BBC's South America Football Correspondent, has also been prominent across various platforms and has been very well received.

Delighted to see Tim receiving a fair bit of positive reaction.

Liked this from Martin Samuel...

RRoz0HRl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

What did john Giles say there about them not being good to watch?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

At least Giles doesn't try and hide his ignorance " I don't know who was in their qualifying group Bill". Bit of a joke really you think he would at least look at the qualifiers for each team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Danny Murphy's been the best pundit of the tournament so far IMO. Henry has also been an inspired choice - fantastic contributions from him.

Also, Phil Neville is actually very good in the studio, he just needs to be kept away from a microphone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Danny Murphy's been the best pundit of the tournament so far IMO. Henry has also been an inspired choice - fantastic contributions from him.

Also, Phil Neville is actually very good in the studio, he just needs to be kept away from a microphone.

Agreed about Murphy and Neville. Neville is good in the studio or in front of the camera but whatever happened to him in the co-commentary is a mystery. I wonder was it the fact ENgland were playing, might be worth seeing him on a game not relating to them or their group, where he can't say "we" all the time.

Robbie Savage is a decent enough co-commentator though, injects a bit of life into it unlike Lawrenson, if that man won the lotto he'd complain about having to go to Dublin to pick it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

My favourite line up of the tournament so far was Murphy, Seedorf and Henry for the Usa v Ghana game, insightful and interesting punditry, knew what they were talknig about and had an interest in the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Nice sub-editing

BqV_jeqCUAArF3t.jpg

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Delighted to see Tim receiving a fair bit of positive reaction.

Liked this from Martin Samuel...

RRoz0HRl.jpg

I like Vickery but his habit on making up different ways to pronounce players names is annoying. He was talking about the Brazil lineup for the Mexico game and calling Hulk Hulkay and Ramires was Hamires

RoryMac wrote: »
    I like Vickery but his habit on making up different ways to pronounce players names is annoying. He was talking about the Brazil lineup for the Mexico game and calling Hulk Hulkay and Ramires was Hamires

In Brazilian Portuguese an initial "R" is most definitely pronounced in a "H" like fashion.

The venue Recife is properly pronounced "Hecifay" for example.

Vickery lives in Brazil and is married to a Brazilian woman, and speaks Brazilian Portuguese. I'd go with his pronounciation over some clown who doesn't live there or speak the language tbh.

Also, Belo Horizonte is "Belo Orizonch"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I also learned from Vickery that Fred is pronounced something like "Frayd-gi"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I had to turn off RTE during the Belgium & Algeria match. Couldn't handle 'Aidan Hazard' any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pringle12345

Peter Collins is awful. Says the "2014 FIFA World Cup"" about 20 times each game.
    I enjoyed Jon Kenny and Brian Kerr last night tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I also learned from Vickery that Fred is pronounced something like "Frayd-gi"
    Like fridge but with eh instead of i.

The Brazilian accent, especially around Rio, is very different. Rs are like Hs, LH is more like LY, S can be either S or SH, O is more like U, D or T before E or I is usually merged into a J or G sound, while a J can sound like ZH and there's loads more. This can also change again as letters change depending on where they are in the word and letters are around it.

The result is the city with the Maracana is known to locals as "heeu je zhanairu".

• Advertisement

In Brazilian Portuguese an initial "R" is most definitely pronounced in a "H" like fashion.

Vickery lives in Brazil and is married to a Brazilian woman, and speaks Brazilian Portuguese. I'd go with his pronounciation over some clown who doesn't live there or speak the language tbh.

I'm well aware of his background and my "making up" comment was tongue in cheek, it just stands out when you hear him talking about players and it takes a second or 2 to figure out who he is discussing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I like Vickery, but I've no interest in the intricacies of Brazilian pronunciations. As correct as he maybe, he'd be better off sticking to the names as they are commonly pronounced in this part of the world, given his target audience

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I like Vickery, but I've no interest in the intricacies of Brazilian pronunciations. As correct as he maybe, he'd be better off sticking to the names as they are commonly pronounced in this part of the world, given his target audience

OK

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

No Kenny lives in a world where it seems he thinks he is 100% right in everything he says

Kenny seemed to get the hump every time Dunphy disagreed with him which is a really poor attitude for a pundit. You want the guys to be able to debate with each other without looking like they're sitting there in a sulk.

I'd actually take Sadlier any day of the week over Kenny as at least Sadlier is more relaxed in his presentation. just look at how the panel answered the question about 'who would they like to play for' - Didi & Dunphy rightly treated it as a joke question and gave light-hearted responses while Kenny gave this po-faced serious answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Viera saying Pirlo is the only Italian player who would be guranteed a place with England, You may go easy on the cocktails Pat.

As fantastic as Pirlo was, if he didn't have De Rossi, and the likes of Marchisio and Veratti, alongside him I don't think he then has the same platform to put on that performance.

De Rossi in particular I think is getting overlooked a fair bit. Rest assured, if he was available for England he would have started and that game could perhaps have been quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Greyjoy wrote: »
    Kenny seemed to get the hump every time Dunphy disagreed with him which is a really poor attitude for a pundit. You want the guys to be able to debate with each other without looking like they're sitting there in a sulk.

I'd actually take Sadlier any day of the week over Kenny as at least Sadlier is more relaxed in his presentation. just look at how the panel answered the question about 'who would they like to play for' - Didi & Dunphy rightly treated it as a joke question and gave light-hearted responses while Kenny gave this po-faced serious answer.

Kenny is trying to come acroos as this serious intellectual, and its just not working.
    Saying fernandinho needs to come in for Paulinho (which is fair enough) because Brazil are too structured. Then 2 minutes later saying Brazil arent structed enough and Scolari needs to strip it back even more.!! :confused:
    Saying Fellaini is a technically gifted midfield player who could play for ManU..to saying he's be a squad player who's best at taking down long balls and playing off the striker. :confused:

Didi hamann I think has been excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I enjoyed Kenny and Dunphy's sparring last night and if they came up with anything insightful it was a bonus as that was Didi's job which he did well. It was a joy not having Giles be the "voice of reason" while Brady and Dunphy bicker away.

In general Sadlier really is growing on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Did anyone see the discussion on the RTE highlights show yesterday about Belgium and their youth system?

It was very interesting, they had Dominic Foley on who used to play in Belgium up to a few years ago.

He was talking about how they educate their young players properly over there, and how that pays off for them mentally when they step up to pro football. Worth watching if it's on the RTE player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

In general Sadlier really is growing on me.

Me too. Couldn't stand him for a long time but he seems to have stopped sighing all the time and he's making more sense these days.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

I like Sadlier's fashion sense <3

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭JoeCole26

Has Paul Clement done any of the RTE games yet? looking forward to hearing from him

• Advertisement

Did anyone see the discussion on the RTE highlights show yesterday about Belgium and their youth system?

It was very interesting, they had Dominic Foley on who used to play in Belgium up to a few years ago.

He was talking about how they educate their young players properly over there, and how that pays off for them mentally when they step up to pro football. Worth watching if it's on the RTE player.

Niall Quinn was saying something like that on second captains about how the belgians are thought to train their mental approach as well as their technical ability, so as to prepare them as men, instead of shipping them off to foreign clubs as 16yr olds like the irish do.
    He gave the example of when they signed Mignolet. He was more concerned about how Sunderland were going to provide him time to finish/continue his studies than he was about how much money he was getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

RTE have done a fair job of keeping me glued to their channel. The Kenny vs Eamon show and Ossy "footballistically" Ardilles are quite entertaining.

Any point in switching over to BBC? Can't stand Rio, Lineker or Savage but I think Henry might have something worth saying. Still don't know if it has the same entertainment factor though. That apology from Eamo yesterday made me burst out laughing. Looked like a reprimanded schoolchild.

RTE have done a fair job of keeping me glued to their channel. The Kenny vs Eamon show and Ossy "footballistically" Ardilles are quite entertaining.

Any point in switching over to BBC? Can't stand Rio, Lineker or Savage but I think Henry might have something worth saying. Still don't know if it has the same entertainment factor though. That apology from Eamo yesterday made me burst out laughing. Looked like a reprimanded schoolchild.

Couldnt listen to Henry! Neill Lennon is quite good, he knows what he's talking about, but doesnt get enough air time imo.
    Ha ha, me too. Bill getting him to apologise like a scolded child. :D

Who is the new guy on RTE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Dante is another one, pronounced like dantz or something can't remember but it's not the same way as your man's inferno anyway

Then you get people crying about commentators getting names wrong, you'd need to ask each player individually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Martin O'Neill on ITV now, I haven't seen him so far this year.

He's one of my favourite Pundits. Opinionated but knowledgable.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Dante is another one, pronounced like dantz or something can't remember but it's not the same way as your man's inferno anyway

Like the way dive is pronounced PENALTY!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Zico wrote: »
    Who is the new guy on RTE?

Joey Ndo, Cameroon International who plays for Sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Then you get people crying about commentators getting names wrong, you'd need to ask each player individually

I prefer to hear them get them wrong than pretend they are fluent in the player's mother tongue when saying their name.

I'm looking at you Jonathan "Mah-ray-lesh" Pearce

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭shteve

Should get Joey on for the live games too. Great character

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Listening to BBC 5 Live at the moment. Robbie Savage really is a tit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Every time I see Ossie...

That_Guy wrote: »
    Listening to BBC 5 Live at the moment. Robbie Savage really is a tit.

What is he doing?

What is he doing?

being Robbie Savage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

What is he doing?

Breathing. His hair alone is enough to make you boil over with rage.

maximoose wrote: »
    I prefer to hear them get them wrong than pretend they are fluent in the player's mother tongue when saying their name.

I'm looking at you Jonathan "Mah-ray-lesh" Pearce

James horncastle is another one for channeling the players native language, Italian anyway.
    But if it's right then that's the way you should pronounce it, wouldn't it. you probably need to sound like a bit of a muppet to do it though

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Breathing. His hair alone is enough to make you boil over with rage.

Good job he's on radio today then, its hot enough for you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Cannovaro saying anything interesting when he's on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Will someone call a taxi for Jim Beglin?

That was a woeful joke

After Vlaar's header, "yeah he's using that new shampoo...shoulders"

• Advertisement

Will someone call a taxi for Jim Beglin?

That was a woeful joke

After Vlaar's header, "yeah he's using that new shampoo...shoulders"

At least that was a joke.

He's just said "The Dutch almost always qualify"

The opposite is actually true.

Advertisement