Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 - as seen on TV (commentary, pundits, adverts, the whole shebang)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

murpho999 wrote: »
    I get fed up with this criticism.

Do you expect these guys to have indepth knowledge of 32 teams?

What would it add if they could rattle off some stats?

It's their opinions on the game in general and events that actually happen that I really enjoy as well as their passion for the game.

Well yes, why wouldn't people expect that? If you go into your job and only know 20% of it then you won't last very long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

UTV trying to tug at the heartstrings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I agree, some people take punditry far too seriously, It's just a bit of a laugh, some people probably expect them to have 3 A4 pages worth of information on every player for those obscure teams.

To be fair, while I do enjoy the RTE coverage and have, and will continue to, only watched their coverage of the tournament, I can see where people come from when they say that they expect a pundit to be at least able to know a few things about a few players from each team at a tournament like the World Cup. When you get the kind of pay that these guys get and get such lofty positions on the national broadcaster you would expect them to at least know basic stuff like Rodriguez and Falcao didn't join Monaco in a joint deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

Imponderable is the new guile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Did someone try to shoot Hoddle :pac: The glass behind him looks like someone tried.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

To be fair, while I do enjoy the RTE coverage and have, and will continue to, only watched their coverage of the tournament, I can see where people come from when they say that they expect a pundit to be at least able to know a few things about a few players from each team at a tournament like the World Cup. When you get the kind of pay that these guys get and get such lofty positions on the national broadcaster you would expect them to at least know basic stuff like Rodriguez and Falcao didn't join Monaco in a joint deal.

I'd take Giles' great reading of a game and Dunphy's outlandish statements over some vanilla pundit who just reams off stats about the Algerian squad, whatever you're into yourself I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I just think, a pundit isn't about perfect analysis of the game. If you rate a pundit based on how good their analysis is does that not mean you have already analysed it yourself and what they say agrees with your conconclusion. In which case why do you need to be told what you already know?

It's about entertainment for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well yes, why wouldn't people expect that? If you go into your job and only know 20% of it then you won't last very long.

Poor comparison as punditry is not like a real job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Diving is not in the DNA of England says Hoddle, sterling throws himself to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Aidric wrote: »
    During the BBC coverage of the Brazil game last night they were reading out tweets from viewers. Terrible idea particularly with Lawrenson on co commentary.

RTÉ's hashtag #askthepanel is even worse! Was scanning through the tweets when Belgium were playing Algeria and Dunphy pronounced Lukaku's name wrong (lucucue) and the amount of abuse he got was unreal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Bill is at it again,trying to get the lads going :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

The RTÉ panel are all using their sensational skills of hindsight here at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

What's this "back alley" in football management terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭minusthebear

Dunphy really needs to get over John Terry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Would he kill his granny??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Oh no not my granny Gilsey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Kill your Granny? By Gilsey's logic...England should look to recruit Stephen Ireland

I'd love to see clips of RTE from the 2010 world cup - don't remember them been too fond of John Terry or Ashley Cole when they were playing for England; especially after the 4-1 loss to Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Suarez bites his granny that's why he wins lol

• Advertisement

The bit with Pereira at the end was brilliant - reminds me of why I love RTE analysis. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I just think, a pundit isn't about perfect analysis of the game. If you rate a pundit based on how good their analysis is does that not mean you have already analysed it yourself and what they say agrees with your conconclusion. In which case why do you need to be told what you already know?

It's about entertainment for me

For me too, I think Cunnigham is a boring miserable git and Hamann while brilliant at reading the game lacks a personality. Giles and Dunphy while not the best at keeping up with the modern players give great TV.

That "Kill your Granny" line from Giles was brilliant TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Imprompt Apres Match England analysis.

Goalposts in the wrong place.

England lost so lets talk about it some more.

Eamo cursing and apologising.

Are Apres Match allowed to swear but Dunphy can't? That's not fair. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Apres Match is having a renaissance this WC! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Are Apres Match allowed to swear but Dunphy can't? That's not fair. :D

Past the watershed

• Advertisement

I'd love to see clips of RTE from the 2010 world cup - don't remember them been too fond of John Terry or Ashley Cole when they were playing for England; especially after the 4-1 loss to Germany.

Dunphy is known for making grand statements but the next tournament he's praising them. Ronaldo one is his most famous turn around.

That was a very good Apres Match considering it was "LIVE" <Billo voice>

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Kerr about for the Japan - Greece game?

vidor wrote: »

Kerr is great, he actually is very detailed even with his Dublin slang which I love as a Dubliner :pac:.

vidor wrote: »

Good shout.

"now this Japanese lad Hideooooooo - I saw him play in the U10 Sakawizo prefecture league finals"

• Advertisement

papu wrote: »
    Past the watershed

Ah yeah, but still; there would be a lot of kids watching. Like I don't think they would be allowed swear during the upcoming Japan-Greece game even though it's on late.

I'm not complaining or anything, I don't give a f*** about swearing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

I would love to have played with Kerr as a manager at underage level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Steve Williams ‏@SkillageSteve 48m
    Since beating Kuwait in 1982, England have won one World Cup match exclusively live on ITV, vs Trinidad in 2006

Skid X wrote: »
    Since beating Kuwait in 1982, England have won one World Cup match exclusively live on ITV, vs Trinidad in 2006

ITV are a Jinx :pac: I hate the coverage on ITV, no one is willing to say it like it is. That's why Roy Keane was brilliant, he said England were **** but no one was willing to tell him he was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Brilliant from Kerr: "Sorry John, I couldn't hear your question over the noise in the stadium."

Kerr and Kenny are stuck in some back room in Montrose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Looper007 wrote: »
    For me too, I think Cunnigham is a boring miserable git

Yep, wouldn't be rushing out for a pint with Kenny. The guy is a dry roasted peanut as opposed to the salty and satisfying Dunphy.

Aidric wrote: »
    Yep, wouldn't be rushing out for a pint with Kenny. The guy is a dry roasted peanut as opposed to the salty and satisfying Dunphy.

That's why Gary Neville is such a great pundit, he knows his stuff but is willing to rip the piss out of himself and share a joke. You can't see it with Kenny, he do a job for Setanta or TV3 but for me RTE can do better. I'm worried who can they get that will be as entertaining once Brady/Giles/dunphy step down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Would he kill his granny??
    LowOdour wrote: »
    Kill your Granny? By Gilsey's logic...England should look to recruit Stephen Ireland
    Zico wrote: »
    Oh no not my granny Gilsey!
    gazzamc wrote: »
    Suarez bites his granny that's why he wins lol

They must love Rooney seeing what he does with Grannies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

image_bigger.jpgJeremy Clarkson @JeremyClarkson · 1h

Well done Liverpool. You beat England.

Skid X wrote: »

Just another reason to hate ITV Sport. That they have lost the rights to the FA Cup and CL/EL comes as a relief even though I'll have nothing other than Streams to watch the latter from 2015...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Yepisssssssssssssssssss

mike65 wrote: »
    Just another reason to hate ITV Sport. That they have lost the rights to the FA Cup and CL/EL comes as a relief even though I'll have nothing other than Streams to watch the latter from 2015...

Did they lose the Champions league rights?

If England go out you always see BBC and ITV shown a lack of interest in the World Cup/European Championships. It's a case of they want it done and dusted and not wanting to look at their own failure.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Did they lose the Champions league rights?

If England go out you always see BBC and ITV shown a lack of interest in the World Cup/European Championships. It's a case of they want it done and dusted and not wanting to look at their own failure.

ITV and the BBC will be there to the bitter end! Its not like what would happen on the telly in teh USA where if they ain't winning it ain't happening (until 3 am EST). The British just love examining failure, esp their own. Its a national trait. You clearly don't really know us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

It's their opinions on the game in general and events that actually happen that I really enjoy as well as their passion for the game.

Eh yes i do! Wtf they are getting paid crazy money for having 1970 knowledge of the game with only knowing the players from the game they just about watched. Its outdated opinions some of it on a high be it with alcohol or otherwise.

Rattle off some stats, yeah who the hell just does that. How about just knowing some key players from teams in the world cup! Thats a bit too much is it?

If i was paid a crazy fee for working for the world cup id know every single player and have watched all of the qualifying games, not half pissed and say who is lacking in guile and taking the game on its merits while half pissed.

I think most countries would take the piss out of us as stereotypical drunk irish without a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Eh yes i do! Wtf they are getting paid crazy money for having 1970 knowledge of the game with only knowing the players from the game they just about watched. Its outdated opinions some of it on a high be it with alcohol or otherwise.

Rattle off some stats, yeah who the hell just does that. How about just knowing some key players from teams in the world cup! Thats a bit too much is it?

If i was paid a crazy fee for working for the world cup id know every single player and have watched all of the qualifying games, not half pissed and say who is lacking in guile and taking the game on its merits while half pissed.

I think most countries would take the piss out of us as stereotypical drunk irish without a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Only after noticing that BBC have a tactical camera shot on the red button.

I'm loving it, I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

On Kenny Cunningham. He's actually a down to earth, quite funny guy. Spent some time with him on a show on RTE a few years ago and he's actually very willing to take the piss out of himself. It doesn't quite come across on TV admittedly but I think he's a good pundit, especially when it comes to analysing defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

You can say what you want about RTE but they do a great job of making me want to tune into them, BBC or ITV haven't been anywhere near as good from what I've seen. Dunphy, Giles & Brady are very entertaining for obvious reasons, but their knowledge is quite disappointing - even Brady who you would imagine would know quite a bit considering his role at Arsenal for so long, doesn't seem very insightful when he's on air. Didi is very good, excellent knowledge and a likeable guy with a good sense of humour, Sadlier and Cunningham are pretty good I think, although they both come across as slightly too serious which I think is why some people may dislike them. Kerr is hands down my favourite on RTE though, he really does know his stuff both tactically and about the teams commentating, I think it makes it even funnier hearing it in such a thick Dublin accent, if you were to tune in for a second you would probably assume he hasn't a clue. I genuinely found it too much of a struggle to listen to Ardiles a lot of the time, but he was likeable.

Fair play to RTE, they have assembled a good panel this year overall I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I'm really enjoying Kerr! He is fantastic!

"This ref loves spreading the snow!"

"Oh that was a bit loose!" - on a ref spraying a line!

Aside from that he is really knowledgeable about the game and he is always good for a chuckle. I think TV3 fucking ruin him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

efb wrote: »
    Good pundits on BBC. Henry Murphy Hansen

Was wondering who Henry Murphy-Hansen was before I realised it was the surnames of the pundits. :o

Advertisement