Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 - as seen on TV (commentary, pundits, adverts, the whole shebang)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's a pity Cannavaro's English is so bad as I think he would really be quiet an interesting pundit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

murpho999 wrote: »
    This ITV presentations of the lads on the beach in shorts is a bit "Look at us lucky bstards" about it doesn't it?

I dunno.. they're there anyway. I'd imagine an outside broadcast is easy enough vs being in the studio all the time

If anything having our lads at home in RTE is a bit cheap.

NIMAN wrote: »
    If Kenny Cunningham becomes one of the top 3 pundits on RTE, thats the day I stop watching it.

For some reason his constant face-pulling whilst making his points really grates on me.

Not mad keen on Kerr either on commentary, I think its that accent!

Sadlier is easy to listen to and talks a lot of sense.

Do you think once Bill goes we might see Giles & Dunphy retiring too? If so, it'll be the end of an era for sure. They were great to watch over the years.

Sadler should get moved up alright but Kenny is just awful and not suited to the job at all.

The only thing (as I said the other day) is that Eamon, John and Bill (and their antics) are probably the main reason people watch RTE coverage - it can't be for the match commentary or the often amateurish production.

The 3 lads retiring could really hurt the viewing numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I dunno.. they're there anyway. I'd imagine an outside broadcast is easy enough vs being in the studio all the time

If anything having our lads at home in RTE is a bit cheap.

Could you imagine the outcry from people who think there €160 annual licence fee funds all RTE operations would be up in arms if they were out in Brazil?

When you think about it, what is the advantage of having the likes of Chiles or Lineker in Brazil to sit in another studio?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

murpho999 wrote: »

When you think about it, what is the advantage of having the likes of Chiles or Lineker in Brazil to sit in another studio?

It's something to throw stones at it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Has anyone seen any single player wearing a pair of Copa Mundials or Puma King in this tournament?

I haven't and find it shocking;)

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Sadler should get moved up alright but Kenny is just awful and not suited to the job at all.

The only thing (as I said the other day) is that Eamon, John and Bill (and their antics) are probably the main reason people watch RTE coverage - it can't be for the match commentary or the often amateurish production.

The 3 lads retiring could really hurt the viewing numbers

For sure, that's why I watch it.
    I don't particularly like George Hamilton as a commentator, so I often watch the games on BBC or ITV and then switch back for RTEs analysis. At least they tell it like it is and are not too PC like the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Except that they don't tell it like it is, they just thrown out some rubbish that will be viewed as controversial and not like those guys on BBC/ITV/wherever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Lennonist wrote: »
    Bill O'Herlihy is leaving at the end of this isn't he? Eoin McDevitt surely would be in pole position for that number.

I like Eoin McDevitt but Bill has said that Darragh Moloney would take over from him when he retires. I can't see McDevitt being parachuted into the top job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Sadlier talking far, far too much sense.

I don't pay my TV license for this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Absolutely hate when ITV go to an ad after the anthems just before the kick off, just ruins the flow for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Really enjoying the panel now, Giles, Hamann and Sadlier. So much better than usually with Dunphy and Brady.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Listening to rte panel discussing the merits of Perreiras concussion the other nigHt reminded me of this

Brian Clough to the Forest physio after Stuart Pearce suffered a concussion in an FA Cup game:

“Tell him he’s Pele and that he’s playing up front for the last 10 minutes.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Poor Ozil. Apres match, bit harsh there.

Probably the worst so far. Cant be all classics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Really enjoying the panel now, Giles, Hamann and Sadlier. So much better than usually with Dunphy and Brady.

Sadlier is excellent.
    He has the "say what I want" like other rte pundits. But he is intelligent and consistently makes good points backed up with facts. He is much better than any on sky/bbc/itv also

Richie Sadlier and Danny Murphy are the two best so far this World Cup for me.

Still waiting for the arrival of Paul Clement. I have huge hopes for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Watching this Germany/Ghana game on the Red Button with Brad Friedel - he is a very good wingman, as is Tim Howard. Must be an American keeper thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Couple of thoughts

The gap between the better and so called lesser teams seems to be getting smaller.

Unforgiving and No margin for error at this level mistakes are punished.

Unlike the premier league we don't see teams recovering from being a goal or two down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Dunno if it was already mentioned here but during the Argentina v Iran game Clive Tyldesley was attempting to share some of his pre-match research into the Iranians when he explained that all the Iranians have their Christian names on the back of their shirts.

An absolutely brilliant display of ignorance!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Friedel on 5Live. Assume he won't be on RTE then, same as Neil Lennon.

• Advertisement

Neeson wrote: »
    Friedel on 5Live. Assume he won't be on RTE then, same as Neil Lennon.

Lennon said he was going home next week a day or two ago. So he could be on RTE for the Knockout games. The same might happen with Friedel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Lennon said he was going home next week a day or two ago. So he could be on RTE for the Knockout games. The same might happen with Friedel.

Yeah friedel said he was getting a flight at 3am. To where - who knows.

Friedel is heading to Rio - much like Mike Nesmith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Richie Sadlier and Danny Murphy are the two best so far this World Cup for me.

Still waiting for the arrival of Paul Clement. I have huge hopes for him.

I like Richie and Dan too. Have liked Rich for a while actually, but Dan has come on a lot, seems to be getting groomed for replacing Marky Lawrenson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

I can't believe that some of you are watching the British channels when you have the choice of RTÉ. The punditry is not very good and the commentary is just poor. Poor stadium sound as well. RTÉ beats them hands down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Martin keown is a very good pundit in my opinion. Underrated. Sure he's a bit serious and a bit like Kenny Cunningham at times but I do enjoy his analysis.

Of course, my point is moot for any non-Irish or Irish outside Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

sigmundv wrote: »
    I can't believe that some of you are watching the British channels when you have the choice of RTÉ. The punditry is not very good and the commentary is just poor. Poor stadium sound as well. RTÉ beats them hands down.

I'd hazard a guess that many people watch Bill and the boys then groan when Stephen Alkin or Collins come on and switch over...

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Really impressed by Jim Beglin. Hope he replaces Ray Houghton as a main co commentator on RTE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Henry is finished tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

efb wrote: »

Is he coming to RTE as well?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Is he coming to RTE as well?
    I think the MLS season is resuming soon after a short break, which might be the reason Henry is leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

I pray to god Cunningham gets his p45

I pray to god Cunningham gets his p45
    The highlights show this morning wasn't his finest hour, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

The highlights show this morning wasn't his finest hour, that's for sure.

What happened?

• Advertisement

What happened?
    Not much, only bland punditry. Nothing special.

He is as dull as dishwater.

Very very boring to listen to.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Good.

Reckon the guy loves the smell of his own farts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

NIMAN wrote: »
    He is as dull as dishwater.

Very very boring to listen to.
    Agueroooo wrote: »
    Good.

Reckon the guy loves the smell of his own farts

Thierry Henry?!?

Seriously? The guy has been brilliant to listen to. Very insightful and his analysis has been great. Him, Seedorf and Murphy together was fantastic.

May have been mentioned but Alan Hansen has touched down for the latter parts of the CW, I think he must have been waiting for Englands exit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

SantryRed wrote: »
    Thierry Henry?!?

Seriously? The guy has been brilliant to listen to. Very insightful and his analysis has been great. Him, Seedorf and Murphy together was fantastic.
    He's been good apart from the French game, very one eyed there.
    Makes some good observations about the strikers.

Nice zinger about the Costa Rica squad too.

Obviously thinks Savage is a ****, so marks to him for that.

Henry9 wrote: »
    He's been good apart from the French game, very one eyed there.
    Makes some good observations about the strikers.

Nice zinger about the Costa Rica squad too.

Obviously thinks Savage is a ****, so marks to him for that.

One thing I'll give Henry, best line of the WC so far.:D

Anyone else notice how that "cause I'm happy" song always seems to be on the stadium PA system as the teams come back out.

Reminds me of this...

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Clarke Carlisle has been media trained to within an inch of his life. Much like Paul Elliott was years ago. Nothing interesting to say at all now.

Clarke Carlisle sounds like he is looking for a job as a commentator on FIFA Football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

SantryRed wrote: »
    Thierry Henry?!?

I think the difference is whether you like cranks who are "having the bantz" or people with a football knowledge and ability to communicate it clearly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

That's really struck me. The background sound on the english channels has been awful. On the RTE commentators, I've never been Hamiltons biggest fan, and Peter Collins is muck (obviously) Think Aidrian Eames is pretty good, probably better than Hamilton. John Kenny is not too bad either. Stephen Alkin I could take or leave. They're miles better than the frankly awful ITV bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Algeria look like world beaters, South Lorea look like panel beaters. Take a bow Jim Beglin

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alang184

For once, the background/ambient stadium sound on RTE is better than BBC/ITV. And the picture quality, likewise. For the sound, I dunno if this is just a mixing issue - basically, there's just a higher level of stadium sound on RTE. BBC/ITV are really lacking with it - just not enough atmosphere.

As for the picture quality, I believe that BBC/ITV are operating a full production team out there, and broadcasting it back to the UK. So their picture quality is not as good as RTE. Normally it's the other way around.

Commentators, pundits. I think Cunningham is very good - technically, has a great understanding defensively, and highlights it very well. He just needs to watch that eyebrow thing. Still no sign of Brad Friedel. I presumed he'd cover the 3 USA group games.

I'm paying close attention to what the RTE commentators say, and have worked out that Hamilton, Houghton, Peter Collins and Trevor Steven are the only ones out in Brazil. I don't think any of the others are out there.

Peter Collins. I don't mean to be unfair to the guy. Some people just are not made for TV. He's stiff, awkward, nervy, lacking confidence, and his voice is far too deep for commentary. He struggles to get into and convey the excitemet of a match. He is a totally unconvincing commentator, and it's just staggering why RTE don't realise it.

alang184 wrote: »
    Peter Collins. I don't mean to be unfair to the guy. Some people just are not made for TV. He's stiff, awkward, nervy, lacking confidence, and his voice is far too deep for commentary. He struggles to get into and convey the excitemet of a match. He is a totally unconvincing commentator, and it's just staggering why RTE don't realise it.

It really is staggering that he is still in broadcasting. There must be better in Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement