Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 - as seen on TV (commentary, pundits, adverts, the whole shebang)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

sigmundv wrote: »
    It really is staggering that he is still in broadcasting. There must be better in Ireland.

Adrian Eames, for one, afaic. Knows his stuff, is unobtrusive, can raise his voice appropriately and interacts well with co-commentators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

alang184 wrote: »
    Commentators, pundits. I think Cunningham is very good - technically, has a great understanding defensively, and highlights it very well. He just needs to watch that eyebrow thing. Still no sign of Brad Friedel. I presumed he'd cover the 3 USA group games.

Peter Collins. I don't mean to be unfair to the guy. Some people just are not made for TV. He's stiff, awkward, nervy, lacking confidence, and his voice is far too deep for commentary. He struggles to get into and convey the excitemet of a match. He is a totally unconvincing commentator, and it's just staggering why RTE don't realise it.

I got to say I haven't been a fan of Cunningham like most on here, yes he knows his stuff but he's dour and has the personality of a plank of wood. It's also about entertaining people not just about knowing everything in and out. Sadlier has it to be a great panellist but Cunningham for is far too dour.

With Peter Collins, as a few have said on here he isn't a football fan and it clearly shows, yet RTE will probably have him replace George Hamilition when he retires. I think they signed him to a big contract after they got the rights to Formula one a few years back and they got to use him any way they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Anyone know which of the third round of fixtures will be on which channels?

Seen itv are showing brasil on itv1 there now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Anyone know which of the third round of fixtures will be on which channels?

Seen itv are showing brasil on itv1 there now

Following site is great for football on tv, doesn't show rte though, so not sure which they are showing and which they are streaming

http://www.live-footballontv.com

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alang184

Actually I've changed my mind about what commentators are actually out in Brazil. For the USA/Portugal game, Stephen Alkin and Brian Kerr are commentating. Alkin said "there is not a breath of wind in this stadium". Soundling very much like they're out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Brian Kerr commentating :D

Good panel with Eamonn, Richie and Michael.
    5 mins in and Portugal score. "not much about it" says Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

alang184 wrote: »
    Actually I've changed my mind about what commentators are actually out in Brazil. For the USA/Portugal game, Stephen Alkin and Brian Kerr are commentating. Alkin said "there is not a breath of wind in this stadium". Soundling very much like they're out there.

They're not. They're stuck in some back room in Montrose. Still pretending to be there I see. Kerr made a comment the other night that he couldn't hear above the noise in the stadium!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Pdoghue wrote: »
    They're not. They're stuck in some back room in Montrose. Still pretending to be there I see. Kerr made a comment the other night that he couldn't hear above the noise in the stadium!

He mentioned about something not being in the programme notes a minute ago, unless he's just chancing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Meireles and Beckerman clash!!!

"the two best hair styles on the pitch"... Kerr!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Commentator (after ref paints line for wall) "Nice flourish there by the referee, with his line painting"
    Brian Kerr "That's a nice neat one alright, I'd say he's been practicing all week waiting on the second game"

Fudge You wrote: »
    Meireles and Beckerman clash!!!

"the two best hair styles on the pitch"... Kerr!

Hero!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Kerr is on form tonight:

"He was just short of catching it with both hands and and soloing it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Saw this today.

Lads watching the World Cup (Netherlands v Australia) in Saudi Arabia.

No other sporting event has the power of the Word Cup.

5bb.jpg_large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Tuned in for a good match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Anyone know the song that RTE use in the ad that they have for the competition to win a trip away or something? Sounds kind of dancy, quite catchy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

He mentioned about something not being in the programme notes a minute ago, unless he's just chancing it.

He is just taking the piss, they are defiantly in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

How do you know? Darren/Bill have been saying they are there ("going over to Kenny and Brian Kerr in Manuas" for example) and the commentators are regularly commentating on how they feel heat and humidity. I doubt a national broadcaster would try to deceive people on something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

How do you know? Darren/Bill have been saying they are there ("going over to Kenny and Brian Kerr in Manuas" for example) and the commentators are regularly commentating on how they feel heat and humidity. I doubt a national broadcaster would try to deceive people on something like that.

My friend works in RTE, they are in studio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Sir Brian Of Kerr @BriandontKerrr · Jun 19
    George Hamilton me bollix, gerra load a Briano! #WorldCup2014

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

That feeling of disappointment when www.sky-me-arse.ie doesn't actually work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Does it matter at all whether they are actually in the stadium or not?

I'd far rather they were in the studio than standing on the beach like idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Fair play to you and your friend for outing them. Can't believe the lengths that George Hamilton has gone to on his twitter account to make people believe he is in Brazil. He's got pictures of airplanes he hasn't got on, exotic foods he's never eaten, and he comments about hotels he never stayed at! He's even photoshopped himself into actual pictures from Brazil! And my license fee is funding this scam, very typical of rte, they should be dismantled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

They are very much in Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

My friend works in Brazil. They are very much in Brazil.

(See what I did there?)

Reallly, it must be a very big studio.

ray.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

This isn't difficult.

Some of the commentators are in Brazil.

Some of the commentators are in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yeah, George and Ray, and Peter and whoever comments with him are over there.

Brian Kerr and the other late commentator are doing it from the studio. It's obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

The thought of my TV license funding Peter Collins' holiday is hard to get over.

The thought of my TV license funding Peter Collins' holiday is hard to get over.

It's amazing how much people think their €160 per year actually pays for.

He is actually working out there you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

If RTÉ could afford to pay for the whole commentary team's flights to Brazil then the viewers would have to pay for a licence fee worth the price of a half a month's Sky Sports subscription fee :eek: so it is understandable why some of the commentators stayed behind in Dublin but yes it is a bit unprofessional of a state broadcaster to try and deceive viewers into thinking that the commentators are actually there in Brazil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

I think Kerr is really excellent as an analyst. Obvious that he has a deep knowledge of the game and its players that's not just acquired for this World Cup, but going back years. Whether it was right that he got the Ireland job when he did is up for debate. I was away for those years and can't comment authoritatively.

But Kerr really shows up the relative uninformed Giles, Dunphy and Brady even. It was slightly cringeworthy listening to Giles and Brady last night discuss Diego Costa. Giles seemed to have watched him in a few games towards the end of the season and could therefore claim to be a Costa expert of sorts. Brady hadn't seen him at all, but Brady was deferring to Giles greater knowledge of the player.

Dont get me wrong, i just cringe when he talks, its like you just shook him to wake him up everytime he talks. His analysis is great, but his words are labored, regularly gets players names wrong, feels the need to "fill the air" if the game has lost a bit of intensity.

He is really funny and sharp when it comes to a smart comment. But otherwise, I just cant listen to him.

Its like Joan Burton, im sure she has many interesting and well informed things to say, but the second I see her on the TV I have to change the channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's amazing how much people think their €160 per year actually pays for.

He is actually working out there you know.

Ah he's a terrible commentator if i'm being brutally honest. I mean no offense to the man and I'm sure he is an absolute gentleman but he just isn't cut out to commentate. His voice just doesn't work. It's almost too deep and he can never amplify or even reflect the excitement in a game. I acknowledge that he puts a hard shift in same as every other commentator btw, don't get me wrong on that front.

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

IK09 wrote: »
    Dont get me wrong, i just cringe when he talks, its like you just shook him to wake him up everytime he talks. His analysis is great, but his words are labored, regularly gets players names wrong, feels the need to "fill the air" if the game has lost a bit of intensity.

I feel Kerr works much better as a studio panelist than a match commentator. Kerr's able to read the game well and make some good observations but his slow, sleepy drawl saps any energy out of the match. Compare him to Hamilton who I would never want anywhere near the tv studio. Hamilton makes the odd gaffe but he's able to convey the pace & tension in the game much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

murpho999 wrote: »
    Reallly, it must be a very big studio.

ray.jpg

At least Ray looks delighted to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Greyjoy wrote: »
    I feel Kerr works much better as a studio panelist than a match commentator. Kerr's able to read the game well and make some good observations but his slow, sleepy drawl saps any energy out of the match. Compare him to Hamilton who I would never want anywhere near the tv studio. Hamilton makes the odd gaffe but he's able to convey the pace & tension in the game much better.

You're not comparing like for like there. Kerr should be compared against Houghton, Belgin etc. When you compare him against similar 'expert' commentators, he is one of the better ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mossey79

George Hamilton must be the best commentator across RTE, BBC and ITV. ITV is unbearable to watch....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I got on to the lads there and they sent me back this. 100% proof of them in Brazil and a lilttle messgae to us all.

Poor Ray is a bit sunburnt so he's not looking at the camera because he's angry and sore.

311860.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'd say it's a bit of a running joke for employees in the RTE Sports dept at how some of the commentators aren't in Brazil but that they're introduced as 'over in Brasil'. Kerr just plays up to that having a bit of craic by saying things like 'It's fierce windy here tonight in Manaus'. I'm not sure what people are getting in a tizzy over, him and his co-commentator are sitting in a studio watching a tv screen like the rest of us, they're not in Brazil but they sure would like to be. I don't think it is much to afford them a joke at their own misfortune at being left behind in Dublin.

Especially when Peter Collins got to go, Kerr must be raging saying 'what does that DJ know abou' football'. He'd be right too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

RTE must be reading this thread; they just showed a small VT of some of the commentators activities in brazil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Good piece on RTE there about Casillas

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Anyone just see that trash they just showed about Iker? Mexican guy has one good game and he's suddenly the 'king' haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah look its Jimmy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Put on the telly a few minutes ago, thought it was The Sunday Game for a minute, very interesting piece on goalkeeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh dear ITVs main comm from from that bloke who quite clearly learned everything at Media School - hilarious emphasis on the upbeat. He does the Bundesliga highlights stuff on ITV4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The world cup in HD makes it so much better :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I like Michael O'Neill as an analyst. You can tell he currently works in football from some of the things he picks out in games, and he seems to have a decent knowledge of a lot of the players too, which compared to others is certainly a plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Big Peter Collins fan myself. One of the greatest footballers to ever play for Galway.
    PadraicJoyceGalwayFootball.jpg

I have both games on but I have the sound up on the laptop. I'd much rather kerr and what's his name than Collins and Houghton. Plus I have Croatia in a sweep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

That's some dye job Ronnie Whelan has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The commentator on the croatia game is awful sounds like a fella you'd have doing a voice over on a highlight package.

• Advertisement
Advertisement