Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 - as seen on TV (commentary, pundits, adverts, the whole shebang)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

razorblunt wrote: »
    The commentator on the croatia game is awful sounds like a fella you'd have doing a voice over on a highlight package.

Still better than Collins though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

SarahBM wrote: »
    Still better than Collins though

I'm in the uk so thankfully haven't heard him in quite some time but you're not wrong!

Croatia are my team. But the way they are playing I hope Mexico score. Absolutely filthy. Disgracful behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Croatia are my team. But the way they are playing I hope Mexico score. Absolutely filthy. Disgracful behaviour.

you got your wish Sarah

Boom!!!

Mexico score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

so 1 more goal for mexico and they top the table?!!

itv off tube commentary is dreadful!

Brian Kerr is a ledge bag!!!

And it's 3-0

Brian Kerr is a ledge bag!!!

And it's 3-0

3-1 sarah :pac:

no, it's 3-0 to Mexico.

no, it's 3-0 to Mexico.

damn time delay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

God almighty, Bill O' Herlihy just apologised for referring to the team who beat Chile today as "Holland".

Apparently, people were "offended".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

God almighty, Bill O' Herlihy just apologised for referring to the team who beat Chile today as "Holland".

Holland sounds more like a country The Netherlands lol it sounds like some great land in a fantasy movie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

gazzamc wrote: »
    Holland sounds more like a country The Netherlands lol it sounds like some great land in a fantasy movie...

Its called the Netherlands cos the lands are in a nether region. Say what you see.

I dont understand why that would cause offence though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Someone is trolling RTE big time.

I dont understand why that would cause offence though.

It doesn't - Holland has been the unofficial name of the national Dutch side for decades. Maybe the caller was Frisian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I'm tempted to complain to RTE about Bill's ridiculous apology.

Ah jasus Skid we didn't need to hear that.

/waves tulip and clog dances stage left....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ian Wright, what a wally...
    Bq2HmU-IEAAv8kG.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bloody hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I'm sure the parents of a dead soldier would really appreciate that phonecall.

that's a bit much, isn't it?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

retalivity wrote: »
    Bloody hell

The Sun love that bull

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Ian Wright is some bellend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Loved Charlie Brooker's massacre of Wright when he was hosting some awful channel 5 dirge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'm sure the parents of a dead soldier would really appreciate that phonecall.

Something along the lines of....

"At the end of the day, obviously your son has died, to be fair. To be fair, he did a top job and was very unlucky at the end of the day. Hopefully we can learn from this lesson and come out all guns blazing in the next game war"

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Ian Wright is some bellend

Love him as he's a Arsenal Legend but he talks out of his backside a lot without thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I almost feel offended they apologised for something we do ourselves all the time; saying Holland in stead of Nederland.

If they have to apologise for something, it is the pronunciation of Dutch names by the commentators, pundits.
    Ffs, it is your job, make at least an effort to learn how it is done right.
    Same goes for the other names as well. Arankwees.... ffs (Aranguiz of Chile)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Who was that English lad on the highlights show just now? Stream cut off before I could figure it out

So I'm guessing Philip Neville doesn't like being called Phil.

All the BBC presenters seem to be making a huge effort not to say over to Phil Neville.

• Advertisement

Kenny Cunningham really getting shown up in this World Cup that he knows nothing about football.

Kenny Cunningham really getting shown up in this World Cup that he knows nothing about football.

He comes across like the Victor Meldrew of Punditry for me. so miserable and moany. No sense of fun to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

inforfun wrote: »
    I almost feel offended they apologised for something we do ourselves all the time; saying Holland in stead of Nederland.

If they have to apologise for something, it is the pronunciation of Dutch names by the commentators, pundits.
    Ffs, it is your job, make at least an effort to learn how it is done right.
    Same goes for the other names as well. Arankwees.... ffs (Aranguiz of Chile)

ITV had their onscreen info as HOL 0-0 CHI .

Looper007 wrote: »
    He comes across like the Victor Meldrew of Punditry for me. so miserable and moany. No sense of fun to him.

That is a perfect description of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Didi not happy about Mondragon coming on for Colombia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

V9 wrote: »

Is it just me or does Didi look like Steve McDonald of Coronation Street ( MCW makes me watch it ) in this pic

220px-Hamann%2C_Dietmar.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietmar_Hamann

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

V9 wrote: »

It's scuppered Colombia chances against Uruguay too. Bad Karma according to Mystic Didi.

The look on Richie Sadliers face was priceless. "What against the team with a player who bit someone?:eek:"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Jesus Kenny expressed some ageist views there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Turtwig wrote: »
    Jesus Kenny expressed some ageist views there.

What he say? I went too bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What he say? I went too bed

Something about your man being riddled with arthritis barely able to make it to the penalty box.

He needs to learn how to crack a smile or he won't make it I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Something about your man being riddled with arthritis barely able to make it to the penalty box.

Abit of dry wit from Kenny. The others smiled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Eh Kenny was smiling and joking about that? I think a lot of people have built up an idea of him in their heads too quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Remarking that he was surprised a forty three year old could run a few yards to the goal line. An making references to arthritis were very poor taste jokes imo. Especially considering the likely demographics watching.

He hasn't got it for me, a bit of a miserable sod with the personality of a Turnip. Might do better on TV3 or Setanta, big mistake if RTE sign him up as a replacement for Giles/Dunphy/Brady. Sadlier for me is a dead cert for one of the places, top notch Pundit and not afraid to crack a joke and rock the boat of he has too.

New panel when Bill retires, if John Eamonn and Liam go too would be Darragh, Ronnie Richie and Didi. If the 3rd person has to be Irish I say Brian Kerr or Jim Beglin.

Richie is much better craic than Kenny. I find Kenny very obnoxious and disrespectful to File and the older guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

New panel when Bill retires, if John Eamonn and Liam go too would be Darragh, Ronnie Richie and Didi. If the 3rd person has to be Irish I say Brian Kerr or Jim Beglin.

Richie is much better craic than Kenny. I find Kenny very obnoxious and disrespectful to File and the older guys.

I'd love if the Second Captains lads got a crack at it. Eoin Mc Devitt in the Bill role, Ken Early in the Ramon role going of on the occasional rant as he tends to do, Richie Sadler and A.N Other old pro. Would be cracking IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

did dunphy say this morning on Morning Ireland that the Suarez bite was unprecedented??
    nothing about the other 2 times?!

did dunphy say this morning on Morning Ireland that the Suarez bite was unprecedented??

Perhaps he ment in a world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I meant he needs to crack a smile more in general, thought he was grand yesterday but he has to drop the constant sour look on his face. Probably not up to par with Richie and Didi regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

He was really standing up for him and saying it was no big deal, also said Suarez needed psychological help, thought he was rambling more than usual, said it was technically the worst ever world cup but was really enjoying it.
    Maybe the late nights are getting to him.

Advertisement