Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 - as seen on TV (commentary, pundits, adverts, the whole shebang)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

efb wrote: »
    Neil Lennon is with ITV

Neil Lennon was with BBC tv, he did the game on five live the other day too I thought he was still with bbc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Collins and Houghton have to be the worst commentary pair ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Neeson wrote: »
    Kenny was right though. Thought that was strange from Richie who usually tells it as it is. Think he just wanted to have a go a Kenny.

If I didn't know better I'd say it was a deliberate attempt to create a kind of odd couple double act.

They do look like a pair of weird twins, one's awkward but manly the other is charming but camp. Throw in the karma believing scouse-german gambler Didi Hamann and you've got a hell of a sit-com.

Swap Darragh Maloney with a TG4 weather girl and you're in business.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

First time hearing him tonight and I can safely say Phil Neville is terrible. I'd prefer to listen to two goats ****ting into a frying pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Zico wrote: »
    If I didn't know better I'd say it was a deliberate attempt to create a kind of odd couple double act.

They do look like a pair of weird twins, one's awkward but manly the other is charming but camp. Throw in the karma believing scouse-german gambler Didi Hamann and you've got a hell of a sit-com.

Or Evanne Ni Chuilinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Zico wrote: »

Brilliant post!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

France 0 Equador 0 and I can hear the wife laughing at Benidorm in the next room. Methinks I'm watching the wrong channel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

curioser wrote: »
    France 0 Equador 0 and I can hear the wife laughing at Benidorm in the next room. Methinks I'm watching the wrong channel!

Ya throw on 912 while shes in the other room...

Deco99 wrote: »
    Ya throw on 912 while shes in the other room...
    It's surprising how acute the hearing gets when those channels are switched on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Giles has a look about him, as if he just knows he's been getting away with it for twenty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

And if you're really hungry, you WILL kill your granny, and........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Janny mack, does Houghton ever have anything positive to say! what a miserable yoke. Collins is so boring to listen to!!! I wish Brian Kerr had been doing this match!

and what is with all the player's hair?!?! is there a competition to see who can get their hair to most resemble a taco? mother of gawd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

After Alkin's performance in the earlier match, Collins has battled back in RTE's commentator relegation battle.

Collins's tactic of telling us exactly what is happening on the pitch as if he were commentating for a radio audience is a great way of filling the time. Unfortunately it adds zero insight unless you are watching the match with your eyes closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

At least I'm able to tune Collins out, not the case with Alkin unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

SarahBM wrote: »
    Collins and Houghton have to be the worst commentary pair ever!!

Keep the bad ones together and then they could match the good ones.
    Brian Kerr or Jim Beglin with George would be great

• Advertisement

Starting to sound like the Sunday Game - "we all know Valencia isn't a dirty player".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    After Alkin's performance in the earlier match, Collins has battled back in RTE's commentator relegation battle.

Collins's tactic of telling us exactly what is happening on the pitch as if he were commentating for a radio audience is a great way of filling the time. Unfortunately it adds zero insight unless you are watching the match with your eyes closed.

In fairness that is his job, it's the co/colour commentator who fleshes out the details. If they only employ one then that's where there's trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Second paragraph - it's good to see him doing well for himself:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27905743

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Did Igor Akinfeev ride Jim Beglin's significant other? He's getting an absolute slating. A bad tournament but Jim is sticking the boot in.

Great montage by RTE there looking back over the group stages

• Advertisement

Who's singing?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Who's singing?
    On the montage? Daughter - Youth

Cheers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

What is the song that RTE uses over that video they play at the start and end of the program, with the cartoon CGI people around brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I have to say, Brazil have done a great job of promoting the country. They have taken full advantage to show off the country.

There has been some stunning panoramic shots outside the stadia during play. The one last night during the France game of Rio, Christ the Redeemer and the Maracana was breath-taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

It really was a cracking montage and piece of music put together by RTE there. It's something they do really well often so credit where it's due!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I just want to echo what the majority of other posters said about Brian Kerr. He is having a great world cup. Plenty of smart comments, great knowledge of players and wonderful mispronunciation of players names!
    Kerr always reminds me of this guy "Columbo" from the TV series:
    http://hypesrus.com/blog/2011/06/24/columbo-ist-tot-peter-falk-verstorben/

He always looks disheveled sounds half asleep. Then he lets on he knows nothing but surprises the viewers with "Just one more thing".:cool:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Kerr was cracking me up yday, constantly calling DeMarcus Beasley, Marcus DeBeasley :pac:

but he has been very knowledgable, and his insight has been fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I think he may even be messing around with peoples names for his own amusement. Not to gush about him but he is infectious and a breath of fresh of air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

The 1994 world cup was featured on the BBC this morning.

The 90s looked so dated compared to our HD present, it might as well have been the 70s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The 1984 world cup was featured on the BBBC this morning.

Was that held in North Korea? They've kept that one under wraps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Omackeral wrote: »
    Was that held in North Korea? They've kept that one under wraps!

Typos everywhere!

I meant '94.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Is this cut to Trevor and Peter in the stadium just a way for RTE to prove that they actually have a few commentators out in Brazil (as opposed to just having them locked in the basement in RTE)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Is this cut to Trevor and Peter in the stadium just a way for RTE to prove that they actually have a few commentators out in Brazil (as opposed to just having them locked in the basement in RTE)?
    Was thinking that

Also, nice hair transplant Trev

Peter Collins is fantastic. Neymar wins the ball halfway inside the Chile half and Peter sequels like it was a one on one inside the box.

The 1994 world cup was featured on the BBC this morning.

The 90s looked so dated compared to our HD present, it might as well have been the 70s.

I watched that. The US narrator wasn't the best - at one point he claimed that Holland got revenge on us for eliminating them in 1990!

Aul Peter is losing his mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Collins is shocking

Someone makes a tackle in midfield and squeals like it is a goal scoring opportunity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Rio Ferdinand just said the game is on in the Maracana, numpty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Collins is shocking

Someone makes a tackle in midfield and squeals like it is a goal scoring opportunity

Yeah, he commentates like he still doing Formula 1, getting over excited at any sign of something unusual occurring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Webb blamed again for a decision he didn't make, this time on rte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm finding the RTE commentary/punditry really annoyingly negative. It's a sport, it's meant to be enjoyed. Today's match was great, but then we get the guys in the studio with their big unhappy faces talking about how bad both teams are. Tonight we'll probably get sourpuss Dunphy and Giles doing their "let's hang my head and talk intently about how terrible something is". No wonder the country is so miserable half the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Jaysis, Apres Match is well past its sell by date....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Jaysis, Apres Match is well past its sell by date....

Thought it was funny

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm finding the RTE commentary/punditry really annoyingly negative. It's a sport, it's meant to be enjoyed. Today's match was great, but then we get the guys in the studio with their big unhappy faces talking about how bad both teams are. Tonight we'll probably get sourpuss Dunphy and Giles doing their "let's hang my head and talk intently about how terrible something is". No wonder the country is so miserable half the time.

First words from Dunphy tonight when asked about the Brazil game,

"It was a terrible game"

I wish RTE would quit with these awful montages, they were bad enough during the Premiership, the world cup ones are even worse. Tonight takes the biscuit, the first for Brazil was just a pressure gauge with various words scrawled on the screen and the second was for Suarez which was exactly the same as the first but with the pressure gauge replaced by a clock. What is the point of these things and how much does the hack that comes up with them earn? It's a waste of time and money, get rid of them.

So predictable that Dunphy would agree with Brady's opinion that it wasn't a penalty. I thought Hulk clearly handled the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

According to Eamon Dunphy, Diego Forlan is a veteran still playing at Man Utd

• Advertisement
Advertisement