Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 - as seen on TV (commentary, pundits, adverts, the whole shebang)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I wish RTE would quit with these awful montages......

that columbia one, to lose yourself to dance, was pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

First words from Dunphy tonight when asked about the Brazil game,

"It was a terrible game"

I watched the entire match on BBC and loved every second of it and was cheering on Brazil. I considered switching to RTE after for the comments, but had a feeling they'd moaning and Eamon doing his usual "Brazil...They're a bad team, a bad bad team, bill, and the both teams were brainless." etc. So stayed with the Beeb.

The negativity is grating on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

KungPao wrote: »
    I watched the entire match on BBC and loved every second of it and was cheering on Brazil. I considered switching to RTE after for the comments, but had a feeling they'd moaning and Eamon doing his usual "Brazil...They're a bad team, a bad bad team, bill, and the both teams were brainless." etc. So stayed with the Beeb.

The negativity is grating on RTE.

I switched over when I heard Peter Collins doing the commentary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm finding the RTE commentary/punditry really annoyingly negative. It's a sport, it's meant to be enjoyed. Today's match was great, but then we get the guys in the studio with their big unhappy faces talking about how bad both teams are. Tonight we'll probably get sourpuss Dunphy and Giles doing their "let's hang my head and talk intently about how terrible something is". No wonder the country is so miserable half the time.

Dunphy tearing into Colombia, one if the most exciting teams of the tournament, calling them "headless chickens". Bit harsh, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Dunphy trolling like a boss against Columbia who for me have been one of the best sides in the Tournament so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Dunphy tearing into Colombia, one if the most exciting teams of the tournament, calling them "headless chickens". Bit harsh, I think.

Dunphy is having a brainfart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

They're talking as if Colombia have no chance against Brazil and as if Brazil have some magic power. Colombia are a solid side who are well in with a shout against Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Dempsey wrote: »
    Dunphy is having a brainfart

"Headless chickens, no experience, zero quality, one good player..."

Eamon just admit ya know f*ck all about the team and be done with it. They're unbeaten. Have scored freely. Solid at the back. Troll is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Dunphy quite obviously layed Colombia on the exchanges. Cutting then to pieces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Dunphy is quite wrong to be sniffing at Colombia's ....

...chances

:pac:

• Advertisement

complaining that they won because they've a much bigger population now... jaysis. population means feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

O'Herlihy has been really stringing out the so called analysis of the games leading to a lot of tedious discussion and repetition

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ah I like Dunphy, but Jaysus he's talking some amount of sh1te tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

There are two many matches for Eamo. Getting it difficult to keep up.

Will now have to portray jammy Brazil as worldbeaters to justify how they are going to defeat Colombia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

"Ah, Bill will ya stop!" :D

Poor Bill gets an awful time of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

We're back in to the worst ever Brazil team nonsense.
    Eamon needs a break

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

LOL Didi will tell you the rest.....there on the fecking page in front of you Eamon FFS!

"Let's go the senior analyst, John."

Poor Didi.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Eamo's face when Bill said he'd ask the senior analyst (Giles) was priceless!!

• Advertisement

"Neymar is not a top class player. These guys (John and Didi) were top class players and I'm surprised at them".

So he's not just saying Neymar is not as good as Messi or the two Ronaldos like he usually says; now he's not even as good as John Giles and Didi Hamann.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

"Ah, Bill will ya stop!" :D

Poor Bill gets an awful time of it.

Ah sure, not long now till he can retire from tv and lobby full time for the tobacco industry in Ireland.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

"Neymar is not a top class player. These guys (John and Didi) are top class players and I'm surprised at them".
    now he's not even as good as John Giles and Didi Hamann.

Or Platini, which is a as bad an insult as he could give.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

"Neymar is not a top class player. These guys (John and Didi) are top class players and I'm surprised at them".

So he's not just saying Neymar is not as good as Messi or the two Ronaldos like he usually says; now he's not even as good as John Giles and Didi Hamann.

Pure fanboy shít from Dunphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

After Dunphy's latest bout of bull I really hope Brazil win the tournament and Neymar scores a hat trick in each of the next 3 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Same everytime, Dunphy tries to keep a convoluted twisted narrative going throughout the tournament which becomes less credible after every game.

If he would just admit he was wrong once in a while, he would have more credibility.

• Advertisement

It's like he's protecting himself; if Colombia win he can say he was right all along about Brazil without praising Colombia; if Brazil win he can say he was right all along about Colombia without praising Brazil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Think dunphy was loaded tonight!

Not sure else to put this; just realised that Paddy Power ad where Brian Jacobs bet on England to win the world cup"if the lads find out" is the exact opposite on ITV; where he made money betting against England. :D

Not sure else to put this; just realised that Paddy Power ad where Brian Jacobs bet on England to win the world cup"if the lads find out" is the exact opposite on ITV; where he made money betting against England. :D

i saw the irish version for the first time tonight. the 'irish' lad that bets on england to win still has a british passport. paddy power only changed the accent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

wonga77 wrote: »
    We're back in to the worst ever Brazil team nonsense.
    Eamon needs a break

He is right though, this is the worst Brazil team for many a year. By the standards Brazil have set throughout the years this is a poor team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

After Dunphy's latest bout of bull I really hope Brazil win the tournament and Neymar scores a hat trick in each of the next 3 games.

nah he's right Brazil are crap, I hope they get knocked out soon. Apart from Neymar they are truly average side been dragged along by the crowd and a young lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Looper007 wrote: »
    nah he's right Brazil are crap, I hope they get knocked out soon. Apart from Neymar they are truly average side been dragged along by the crowd and a young lad.

He's completely over doing it though and as some other poster pointed out earlier in the thread he is clearly hoping for Neymar to fail which is quite petty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lads yer talking about Dunphy, the man didn't give Ronaldo credit till a few years ago, used harp on about how he never does it in big games etc!

Looper007 wrote: »

But Dunphy doesn't give Neymar any credit either. He thinks he's an average player.

The reason Neymar had a bad season is because everything goes through Messi at Barcelona. Same reason Villa, Ibrahimovic and Alexis Sanchez are considered failures there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The main reason is I think he was annoyed that Chile were knocked out in the earlier match. He tipped them to win it. I would say he lost a few bob!:D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Btw as someone who only had a passing interest in watching barcelona, Sanchez showed himself to be one absolute hell of a player. I had no idea he was that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Btw as someone who only had a passing interest in watching barcelona, Sanchez showed himself to be one absolute hell of a player. I had no idea he was that good.

He actually gets the ball in the Chile team, instead of watching Xavi and Iniesta give it to Messi at Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Alexis had a very good season for Barcelona last year. He won them a clasico.

His problem is when Tata switched to a more direct game Alexis prospered. The Catalan media or whatever shtye didn't like that direct game. Tata gave in to players and Barca reverted back to their old system which they are no longer capable of performing effectively.
    As a result Alexis suffered. The entire team did really but xavi and others seemed in fantasy land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

The reason Neymar had a bad season is because everything goes through Messi at Barcelona. Same reason Villa, Ibrahimovic and Alexis Sanchez are considered failures there.

Who says those three are failures at Barca????
    All three did very well. Ibra had a falling out with the manager, so had to go after only a season

Brad Friedel's transfer went through, he is making his RTE debut this afternoon (in the highlights programme).

• Advertisement

Fudge You wrote: »
    Who says those three are failures at Barca????
    All three did very well. Ibra had a falling out with the manager, so had to go after only a season
    Spot on! None of those were failures per se at Barca, but this is beside the thread, so let's close the discussion there.

Great to see Brad Friedel finally appear on RTÉ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Quite impressed with Friedel so far!

Degag wrote: »
    Quite impressed with Friedel so far!

Yeah, he's talking a lot of sense. Tony O'Donoghue should stop interrupting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Friedel and Sadlier are great together. Both interesting, knowledgable pundits who talk no ****e. I hope they are on together some time.

Tony O'Donoghue admits he watched Ireland v Costa Rica on a dodgy stream.

No need to be coy, Tony. Everyone does it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Skid X wrote: »

I liked how he phrased it.

"A rogue South American TV channel."

What a pundit Friedel is! So much insight and knowledge displayed in every sentence.

It's actually ridiculous that we get excited by this, because that is the least you should expect from any pundit, but too many of them don't do any homework at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Skid X wrote: »

He probably got the link for the stream off the match thread on here :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

John Giles on about van Robben here, he almost said it a second time before realising what he was saying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

GREAT GOAL!

Advertisement