Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 - as seen on TV (commentary, pundits, adverts, the whole shebang)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Apres Match was gas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

SarahBM wrote: »
    Apres Match was gas!
    The one this evening was a re-run, but very good all the same. Well worth the re-run. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ray houghton
    "little stepover,just hit the target hit the target"

F uck off ray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Is there anyone else who can't stand that McDonalds ad on during every ad break? Drives me insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Is there anyone else who can't stand that McDonalds ad on during every ad break? Drives me insane.
    Which one?

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Which one?

I've only noticed one. It's individual shots of people eating McDonalds, it's mainly the music that irritates me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Every advert during the WC grates on you after you've seen it for the 1000th time.

The Hyundai one is the worst.
    Casillas and Kaka, 2 failures, plus Oscar. Could they not have got any big names?

Casillas "Get in, anyone need a lift to Madrid"
    Kaka "Get in, anyone need a lift to the Brazil sub's bench".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

NIMAN wrote: »
    Every advert during the WC grates on you after you've seen it for the 1000th time.

Casillas and Kaka, 2 failures, plus Oscar. Could they not have got any big names?

Casillas: "Get een!"
    Kaka: "Get een!"
    Oscar: "GREUGH RE!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Awful ad it is, Nearly as bad as calling Casillas a failure.

Ray Houghton is so negative, even when something good happens he finds a way to criticize it, always saying, oh he should have done this or that. Jesus, shut up an stop second guessing every single play of the ball!!!

Sorry. Rant over. Well done Costa Rica :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Did you just call Casillas a failure? Every goalkeeper from last 20 years must be a failure too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

The melting Gerrard lucozade ad shown during the water break as well as other ad breaks is just embarrassing at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

patmac wrote: »
    The melting Gerrard lucozade ad shown during the water break as well as other ad breaks is just embarrassing at this stage.

Why can't they make them like this anymore, even Cantona was cool as sh*t in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Looks like Stephan Alkin forgot to turn off the location on his phone which says "from Dublin City" in all of his tweets: http://twitter.com/stephenalkin/status/483560546755964928

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,286 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Maybe I'm missing something here but why is the Gooch on the RTE pre-match show? :confused:

Colm "The Gooch" Cooper is a pundit on RTE now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

He actually seems like he is pretty knowledgeable. Interesting to hear his views anyway

He actually seems like he is pretty knowledgeable. Interesting to hear his views anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Jesus have RTE ran out of actual soccer pundits or whats the story. When will they have BOD on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Maybe they can get the bauld Bertie back in again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Looper007 wrote: »

Why can't they make them like this anymore, even Cantona was cool as sh*t in this.

Maybe I'm too young to remember it but was this actually on TV during normal broadcast hours? Would have scared the bejesus out of me as a kid!

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

it was but with the Ian Wright headbutt taken out. It's such a cool ad though, can't imagine it been the same today as Cantona was a enigma. Nothing like that around today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The South Korean team got pelted with toffee's at the airport while standing for press photographs after their arrival home from Brazil.

Having toffee's thrown at you is apparently a major insult in Korean custom

20140630_1404076016.jpg_99_20140630060903.jpg

Laois_Man wrote: »
    The South Korean team got pelted with toffee's at the airport while standing for press photographs after their arrival home from Brazil.

Having toffee's thrown at you is apparently a major insult in Korean custom

20140630_1404076016.jpg_99_20140630060903.jpg

What were the Korean public expecting? Another Semi Final, pretty bad behaviour really.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

A good thing that's not an English custom....Wayne Rooney would be snapped stuffing them all into his pockets :p

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Stephen Alkin thinks Italy won the 94 World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Kerr just gave the ultimate kiss of death there to the nigerian keeper!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'm sure the video of Dunphy talking about Argentina and giving out about "Lorenzo" (a player who he made up) has been talked about. I'll post it still just for those who haven't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8pWH-h69nE

But my god to think he gets paid for this analysis. He sounds like a someone who's scuttered drunk in a pub ranting about football and mixing up all the names. Can't seem to accept that not everyone agrees with his opinions too.

Some of the pundits/commentators don't do a lick of research and are making good money. Lawrenson didn't even know who was playing who in one of the games a while back! He had to ask! Is it so much to ask pundits to do some research? In fairness some do but not a lot, Kilbane is surprisingly one of the only I know of that knows about the players and their club performances from the last year.

• Advertisement

janny mack the evil eyes Kenny (or should I say Ken) is giving Richie there....... if looks could kill :D

PD Matuidi should have got a Red for that tackle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

SarahBM wrote: »
    janny mack the evil eyes Kenny (or should I say Ken) is giving Richie there....... if looks could kill :D

PD Matuidi should have got a Red for that tackle!

Haha I seen that when Richie laughed that he had those type of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Your ankle is half way up your shin according to Ritchie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

Cunningham talking garbage imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Kenny that's not a red.

Face palm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd get a red card not a yellow if I said what I thought of Kenny Cunningham acting like a....... right now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Great fight on RTE, Cunningham is some fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Dempsey wrote: »
    Your ankle is half way up your shin according to Ritchie!

Think he misspoke through error impulse. Where two or more things are caught in your brain at once.

It contradicted what he had said at least twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Adamocovic wrote: »

Some of the pundits/commentators don't do a lick of research and are making good money. Lawrenson didn't even know who was playing who in one of the games a while back! He had to ask! Is it so much to ask pundits to do some research? In fairness some do but not a lot, Kilbane is surprisingly one of the only I know of that knows about the players and their club performances from the last year.

Kerr has been excellent with his knowledge, although pronouncing player names is not his forte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Cunningham has become a laughing stock. Time for RTE to ditch him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

Kenny Cunningham is arguing with someone every time he's on. I'd say the RTÉ doesn't mind as it is some form of entertainment, albeit rather cringeworthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Chiellini:
    Lolol.
    GTFO

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Anyone know the song that RTE use in the ad that they have for the competition to win a trip away or something? Sounds kind of dancy, quite catchy.
    Not sure if this was replied to, it's Royskopp & Robyn - Do It Again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

marno21 wrote: »
    Not sure if this was replied to, it's Royskopp & Robyn - Do It Again

FWIW, soundhound is great for that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Brad Friedel scheduled to be on with Bill later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Neeson wrote: »
    Brad Friedel scheduled to be on with Bill later.

He is great to listen to.

cant wait to see Brad, Im sure Apres Match will have fun with him too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Is Bill O' Herlihy aware that Luis Suarez plays for Liverpool. The tone of every one of his questions is that Suarez plays for Barcelona.

Normally not ageist but its about time he's retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Hoddle on the ITV accidentally calling Algeria, Al Jazeera. Have to say that made me laugh way too much.

"The problem with Al Jazeera now.."

Cleared it up straight away but still found it funny. Somewhere an Al Jazeera reporter was momentarily insulted :P

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Enjoying Friedel's analysis so far

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Friedel pronouncing Schweinsteiger could sooth a stupid spoilt child to sleep.

• Advertisement
Advertisement