Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 - as seen on TV (commentary, pundits, adverts, the whole shebang)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

No.

He was saying he was a top player but only in his best position, which is off the striker. He agreed at the time that he is not a central midfielder at all, is wasted in midfield and shouldn't be played there ahead of anybody else.

His opinion now is the same. No flip flop.

It would seem that in my haste to make an anti Kenny point I have become the maker of the very same petulant, lazy comments that I accused the man himself of making. How ironic :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

rarnes1 wrote: »
    World cup was on course to be on the best ever. Goals have dried up

Good quarter and semi finals can get it back in track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Houghton vs Murphy (bbc) no comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Darragh to Friedel:

"I know you met Kerr...not too long ago".

Nearly forgot himself and said earlier today on the corridor and let everyone know that Kerr is actually in
    Dublin and Not In Brazil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Neeson wrote: »
    Darragh to Friedel:

Nearly forgot himself and said earlier today on the corridor and let everyone know that Kerr is actually in

Only ones in Brazil are George and Ray right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

rarnes1 wrote: »
    World cup was on course to be on the best ever. Goals have dried up

No, its just got serious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Darragh to Friedel:

Like, we never knew that!

Only ones in Brazil are George and Ray right?

And Peter Collins and Trevor Steven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lineker stiring it again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Lawrenson was giving out of Klose "making a meal" of tackles and diving for frees/penos etc.

Then he just said complained that Griezmann didn't make a meal the tackle on him there in the box, and thats why no penalty was given.

...make your mind up Mark!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Dara O'Briain tweeted this haha

i7663m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

You have to love Brian Kerr "the big bushy head on him!" LOL classic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Stevie Alkin mixed up a onrushing Lavezzi with Javier Mascherano. And he gave no reaction to Brian's excellent nickname.

Brian Kerr was made for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Kerr should definitely be made RTE's number 1 co-commentator after this world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Kerr has mentioned hair or hairstyles at least 15 times this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Has anyone else noticed that RTE highlights and clips during analysis aren't in HD?

this has to be one of my favourite panels. Love Richie and Ronnie and Neil really has slotted in nicely!
    I've said it from the first match, Kerr should be first pick co-commentator, with George Hamilton. My god, Houghton was just painful to listen to last night. Honestly its gonna be hard to watch the final if its him.

and who ever thought of putting on Father Ted between the matches is a frickin genius!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I'm just looking forward to Dunphy trying to pretend he didn't tip Belgium to win the tournament!!! :)

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I'm just looking forward to Dunphy trying to pretend he didn't tip Belgium to win the tournament!!! :)

I just wish he had to wear that dress :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

George Hamilton on his own tonight. Pure bliss. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

It's weird on his own.

A nice weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alang184

Wonder why that is. Some kind of problem getting into the stadium? Problem with getting a media pass? Or limited commentary space? Or accommodation issue? Both George and Ray were in Fortaleza yesterday. It's around 1,000km of a journey to Salvador. Maybe that was a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Before they cut away for the break there, Dunphy was visibly and audibly jarred.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Why is George Hamilton on his own tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

By popular demand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

rock whore wrote: »
    By popular demand?

I'd reckon Houghton has the sh1ts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It's much better with just the one cuts out all the bull**** small talk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Eamo "Brazil are useless" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm starting to think that the Dutch nation is actually called 'Holland or the Netherlands' listening to RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Ha ha Dunphy, "Brazil won't win cos they're useless". Harsh but true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

nuxxx wrote: »
    Eamo "Brazil are useless" :D

What will the guy say next!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

vidor wrote: »
    What will the guy say next!!

He's not wrong in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Tokarev

My stress levels have gone up something like mental watching this world cup, It might not be the best football on the field since the groups, but the drama is killing me biggrin.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Tokarev

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'm starting to think that the Dutch nation is actually called 'Holland or the Netherlands' listening to RTE.

Netherhollandland

Case closed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Neil Lennon on Origi the other day -

"He's been a revolution so far in the tournament"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

The love affair on RTE with Messi is over the top. Yes he may be the best player in the world but everything he does doesn't have to be praised.

Di Maria would do something and they'd still bring it back to being about Messi.

Stephen Alkin is a terrible commentator, his voice is awful. He said this during argentina v nigeria about messi. "He makes old men feel like young boys".

What a terrible line to come out with.

Peter Collins is next worst. Everytime he commentates a match he has his lines learned off for the teams walking out/anthems etc. Can he not make it sound less like he's reading it from his notes....which I'd say he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

The love affair on RTE with Messi is over the top. Yes he may be the best player in the world but everything he does doesn't have to be praised.

Di Maria would do something and they'd still bring it back to being about Messi.

Stephen Alkin is a terrible commentator, his voice is awful. He said this during argentina v nigeria about messi. "He makes old men feel like young boys".

What a terrible line to come out with.

Peter Collins is next worst. Everytime he commentates a match he has his lines learned off for the teams walking out/anthems etc. Can he not make it sound less like he's reading it from his notes....which I'd say he is.

Looking at RTE Football TV team in the next few years is a little worrying, I'm maybe in the small group of people that likes Brady. Giles and Dunphy on here ( I know Giles and Dunphy don't know much on Modern football players but they are great TV imo). The up and coming pundits don't excite as much as many on here simply cause none of them stand out too much from what you see on ITV/BBC, Richie has the potential, Kenny is too much of a miserable git, Didi is good maybe we will have a few ex Irish or English players that might come through but at the moment it's not looking good.

Losing Graeme Souness was a big blow I thought he was perfect also Dennis Irwin was quite good during 2010 world Cup, I wonder why he wasn't bought back. Ronnie Whelan is awful.

I think in Darragh Maloney they have a perfect replacement in Bill O'Herlihy.

I think their co- Commentators apart from Ray Houghton are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Looks like Razor's WC is over. Took ill just before the QF which meant George hsd to fly solo.
    I'm guessing Ray was in line to co-commentate on the final. Who'll be first sub? My bet is Trevor Stephen although I'd much prefer Kerr or Beglin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Looks like Razor's WC is over. Took ill just before the QF which meant George hsd to fly solo.
    I'm guessing Ray was in line to co-commentate on the final. Who'll be first sub? My bet is Trevor Stephen although I'd much prefer Kerr or Beglin.

Beglin? God no.

Dempseys nose was bent against Ghana and Beglin goes..."I hope for his sake it's not broken"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

It will be Trevor Steven, since he's out there. You'd want both commentators to be in the stadium for the final.

• Advertisement

sigmundv wrote: »
    It will be Trevor Steven, since he's out there. You'd want both commentators to be in the stadium for the final.

Doh. Completely forgot the other lads were doing it from Dublin.
    Trevor gets it so by the 2 greatest words in the English language dee fault.

It can only be Steven or Beglin.

It can only be Steven or Beglin.

Why not George, Steven AND Beglin! really shake things up!

I really hope its not George on his own. As much as I love him, it would be like 90 mins of him just talking to himself again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Get Brian Kerr out there immediately.

Eamo classic again "Don't worry Bill, they wont win it!" - what a spoofer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

SarahBM wrote: »
    Eamo classic again "Don't worry Bill, they wont win it!" - what a spoofer!

Gold ol Eamo talks thru his arse but he is punditry gold. I'd rather listen to him spoof than the sit on the fence ****e on BBC or ITV.

George trying to liken this disaster for Brazil to Irelands worst ever defeat , a 6-1 defeat to Brazil in a friendly.
    Friendly versus world cup semi

but we got a goal against them! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

George trying to liken this disaster for Brazil to Irelands worst ever defeat , a 6-1 defeat to Brazil in a friendly.
    Friendly versus world cup semi

6-1 loss to germany in aviva 2 years ago. i don't feel so bad about that anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Brazil fans crying - someone must have told them about Garth Brooks!

Advertisement