Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 - as seen on TV (commentary, pundits, adverts, the whole shebang)

1222324252628»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

Hidalgo wrote: »
    George trying to liken this disaster for Brazil to Irelands worst ever defeat , a 6-1 defeat to Brazil in a friendly.
    Friendly versus world cup semi

World cup qualifier, v Germany - not a friendly.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

"West Germany...Eh Germany"

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

George almost, almost said West Germany there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

you would think the Germans would be a bit happier!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Dunphy talking sense.

I've seen it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Dunphy having a meltdown
    Luiz is a headbanger- love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

wonga77 wrote: »
    Dunphy having a meltdown
    Luiz is a headbanger- love it

I love when he describes a player as a headbanger !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Static?! Unreal poacher !!!

[IMG][/img]0i8w4z5.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

mada999 wrote: »
    Static?! Unreal poacher !!!

Righht , because all goals scored in the box are poached goals
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Eamonn Dunphy is a legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

papu wrote: »
    Righht , because all goals scored in the box are poached goals
    :rolleyes:

jeez, it was a compliment to the lad..

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

The old lads are talking a lot more sense recently than at the start of the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Raving_Magic

Loved that Garth Brooks montage at the end, sums up the whole evening :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

RTE using Garth Brooks music in the montage

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Dunphy's "Death of football" theory is wearing on me a bit at this stage.

His romantic ideal of poor kids learning their trade on the streets free of the shackles of such creativity saps as "coaching" and "tactics" (as the bourgeois prawn sandwich eaters like to call them) is fading. The top international teams over the last decade have been those from Europe with the best coaching systems and technical training - Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Italy. To reduce this German team to "big physical lads" or "good athletes" is ridiculous. Kroos, Ozil, Khedira, Lahm, Hummels, Schurle even Neuer, these guys can play and they use their heads while they do it.

Also, he lists all the top Irish/UK players of the past 60 years and purposely leaves out the likes of Bale because he doesn't suit his ludicrous point. I've always been a big fan of Eamo, purely for entertainment value (I never remember him actually having a clue) but I think I'm done with him after this World Cup. Time to send him to the glue factory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

His romantic ideal of poor kids learning their trade on the streets free of the shackles of such creativity saps as "coaching" and "tactics" (as the bourgeois prawn sandwich eaters like to call them) is fading. The top international teams over the last decade have been those from Europe with the best coaching systems and technical training - Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Italy. To reduce this German team to "big physical lads" or "good athletes" is ridiculous. Kroos, Ozil, Khedira, Lahm, Hummels, Schurle even Neuer, these guys can play and they use their heads while they do it.

Also, he lists all the top Irish/UK players of the past 60 years and purposely leaves out the likes of Bale because he doesn't suit his ludicrous point. I've always been a big fan of Eamo, purely for entertainment value (I never remember him actually having a clue) but I think I'm done with him after this World Cup. Time to send him to the glue factory.

more like the button factory. Baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭trashcan

I'm not surprised, he's been singing that song since the 1980's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

There's a couple of programmes coming up about retiring pundits/presenters might be worth a look. The Bill O'Herlihy one is a repeat from a few years ago

BBC1 Friday 10.35pm - Alan Hansen: Player and Pundit
    Gary Lineker presents a look at the respective careers of the ex-Liverpool star, who is soon to retire from his role at the BBC, which has seen him serve as an expert analyst since 1992. As a player he represented Liverpool in over 400 appearances between 1977 and 1991, during a glittering era that saw the club win eight league titles and three European Cups, among other honours. Hansen was also a member of the team during the infamous disasters at Hillsborough in 1989 and the Heysel Stadium in Belgium during the 1985 European Cup final, both of which he talks about candidly, revealing the impact they have had on him personally. After retiring as a player he went on to become one of the more respected TV analysts in the game, and was known for his passionate, forthright and intelligent views that led to him being referred to as the `King of the Pundits' by his colleague Lineker, who is joined by the likes of Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness, Des Lynam, Gary Neville and Mark Lawrenson in offering their opinions on the Scot. There are also contributions from Hansen's wife Janet, as well as their two children Lucy and Adam

RTE2 Sunday 7pm - A Little Bit TV: Bill O'Herlihy
    A tribute to RTE presenters from the past 50 years, beginning with Bill O'Herlihy. One of its longest-serving broadcasters, he has covered current affairs, features and sports stories - from Jayne Mansfield's visit to Kerry, and Thierry Henry's handball that prevented Ireland from qualifying for the Fifa World Cup in South Africa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Richie looking haawt tonight I must say...mmmm

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/javier-mascherano-says-he-tore-his-anus-during-semifinal-against-netherlands-154255457-soccer.html

Turns out Mascherano tore his arsehole in the match last night.
    "I spread out my anus in that last tackle, that's why I felt so much pain"

:eek::o

De Jong probably told him he'd tear him a new one. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Has to be the best thing about 3rd place playoff...Apres Match in control of RTE coverage ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I can't tell the difference between Apres Match lads piss take commentary and the real Stephen Alkin and Brian Kerr drivel.

The novelty has worn off Brian Kerr talking nonsense like an eijet for me.

Possession mean absolutely nothing in Football?

Thanks, Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Nearly wet myself laughing and the "Eamonn talking through his hoop" caption !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They are in Dublin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Very good, and nicely topped off by The Ramones at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i like the way ITV do the pre-match analysis on the beach front, nice touch that

really gives you a feel of Brazil, Copacabana beach and all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Good the way it showed Aiken and Kerr when Kenny and Eamo were going at it.
    Thought we'd get more talk about the football team and the football tournament and the football pitch from Kenny. Thats one of his usuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lawrenson, Townsend or Steven to choose from how cruel is that :(

• Advertisement

Sky Sports News has Phil Brown and Peter Taylor watching a monitor and talking about the game ... why would anyone watch that instead of a channel which i showing the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭briany

Skid X wrote: »
    Sky Sports News has Phil Brown and Peter Taylor watching a monitor and talking about the game ... why would anyone watch that instead of a channel which i showing the game?

Nobody, mostly, but since SKY don't have the rights, but can't ignore the biggest sporting event on the planet, they find themselves in a somewhat absurd scenario like what you just described.

Maybe they could do some fan fest coverage, and 'accidentally' show the game happening on one of those big projector screens. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Lawrenson, Townsend or Steven to choose from how cruel is that :(

Danny Murphy has been very good for the BBC, if he got the gig I would have watched with them. Lawrenson's continued employment is baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Danny Murphy has been very good for the BBC, if he got the gig I would have watched with them. Lawrenson's continued employment is baffling.

You get the impression, with Hansen on the way out, there's a changing of the guard going on, lawrenson won't be far behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

briany wrote: »
    Nobody, mostly, but since SKY don't have the rights, but can't ignore the biggest sporting event on the planet, they find themselves in a somewhat absurd scenario like what you just described.

Maybe they could do some fan fest coverage, and 'accidentally' show the game happening on one of those big projector screens. :pac:

They should just attach a post-it note to the camera saying "Gone to watch world cup final, back in two hours" and except the defeat that nobody is going to be watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Just thinking and maybe its been answered before, but if houghton did not get sick and come back to ireland, it would have been him and george for rte tonight, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Dunphy talking shiote again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Dunphy talking shiote again

Talking up Ireland and what we are capable of achieving is all part of his agenda which is to tear down the manager - as he has with all Irish managers, whether he initially approved of them or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Just watch baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Incredible montage from the BBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Incredible montage from the BBC.

RTE one was unusually rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

The 'toby jug filled to the brim with hot piss' is done and so is the best world cup I have seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

10527938_10152258463237887_1486208313_n.jpg?oh=dd44f632340118be7c7452debe52358c&oe=53C4D1B4&__gda__=1405383705_3776213e61c9ccdbf89a2db1d22d9620

Cheers Bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sabella taking off Lavezzi was a disgraceful decision. What was he thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Tonight was also the last appearance of Alan Hansen.

I must say that I'll miss him. Always interesting to listen to, a fantastic analyst of a match, thoughtful and considered opinions which were never hyperbolic and always backed up well. One of the best pundits out there IMO and it will certainly be strange not seeing him on MOTD this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Being a 33 year old who grew up watching Bill and the boys from 1990 onwards (don't really remember 1988), I was very sad too see Bill finish up tonight. I love the WC and always feels grim when it ends, but to also see Bill having his last hurrah made me feel a bit :( Thanks Bill, we'll never forget you and your winding up of the panel...for many years! Enjoy the retirement :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Tonight was also the last appearance of Alan Hansen.

hope he doesn't go to sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Rio in Rio doucmentry on bbc1

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

MD1990 wrote: »
    Sabella taking off Lavezzi was a disgraceful decision. What was he thinking.

Injured afaik.

Advertisement