Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 - as seen on TV (commentary, pundits, adverts, the whole shebang)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Bill basically said a Japanese ref shouldn't have got the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Bill basically said a Japanese ref shouldn't have got the match.

Not because he's Japanese but because the league he comes from is not of a high enough standard.

Truth is, referees are shocking regardless of nationality or standard of league/training.

I certainly didnt think what he said was racist given the context

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Crickey ITV have both tomorrows games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Giles just called the Brazilian cm's 'Poldino and Gestapo',Christ.Horrendous stuff rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Lucas Castroman

Giles just called the Brazilian cm's 'Poldino and Gestapo',Christ.Horrendous stuff rte.

He's a national treasure- just keep telling yourself that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

mike65 wrote: »

BBC1 has the biggest game tomorrow, Spain v Holland at 8pm

Forgot there were three games!

Googlebox!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Just watched a it of ITV's coverage and their scoreboard is fooking rotten - much nicer and cleaner on RTÉ although on RTÉ the black line down the screen to the right of the scoreboard was annoying enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

mike65 wrote: »

RTE have all the games. Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Dempsey wrote: »
    Not because he's Japanese but because the league he comes from is not of a high enough standard.

Truth is, referees are shocking regardless of nationality or standard of league/training.

I certainly didnt think what he said was racist given the context

It wasn't racist it was just stupid, which can be forgiven. You're right there is no acceptable standard of refereeing in any football league. They're only human. Hindsight is 20-20 so I don't see why video replays for big decisions aren't a standard procedure.

• Advertisement

Pretty decent match analysis from the BBC. Be interesting to see how much effort ITV put in to games they don't have live.

Phil Vickery was talking about the protests and the general atmosphere and said it out loud - expect pressure to keep Brazil in the tournament, cos when/if they go out it'll get uglier.

In a Multichannel Pay TV dominated World, it's great that we still have blanket coverage of the World Cup on RTE, BBC and ITV. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I only watch ITV when I really really really really have no other option.

Cannot stand anything about their coverage. Awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

How is Andy Townsend ITV's lead expert when they have Jim Beglin who even in his short career achieved more than Townsend could even dream of.

This is a Townsend bugs the crap out of me post.

Edit: I see Beglin no longer works with ITV he's over with BT now.
    Beglin is with RTÉ again for the World Cup according to their press release, I do hope he's paired with George at some stage, RTÉ's dream team IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

irishfeen wrote: »
    Just watched a it of ITV's coverage and their scoreboard is fooking rotten - much nicer and cleaner on RTÉ although on RTÉ the black line down the screen to the right of the scoreboard was annoying enough.

yeah, looks far too big. it's annoying.

never noticed the line on rte

batistuta9 wrote: »
    yeah, looks far too big. it's annoying.

never noticed the line on rte
    Very noticeable on HD at times, it wasn't overly annoying but sometimes my eyes were drawn to it, checked 2 TVs so was definately there.

As for ITV, as you say it's far too big and the ITV logo is massive, from just flicking to BBC highlights late last night they are much much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The ITV scores looked like a UK car reg plate! Definitely found my eye drawn to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

Is the Ivory Coast match on at all tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

MacBizzle wrote: »
    Is the Ivory Coast match on at all tonight?
    Tomorrow night, RTE.

Tomorrow night, RTE.

TheScore must have messed up so, seemed strange for it to be the only match on at 2AM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Stephen Alkin is an atrocious commentator.

Jim Beglin, on the other hand, is excellent - one of the best co-commentators around. Quite staggering that RTE have sent Ray Houghton and Trevor Steven to Brazil but not Beglin. Hamilton and Beglin should be RTE's No.1 pairing.

From RTÉ's commentator: "When it rains here, you can get an inch in half an hour in the blink of an eye"

Where do they find these people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Stephen Alkin is an atrocious commentator.

Jim Beglin, on the other hand, is excellent - one of the best co-commentators around. Quite staggering that RTE have sent Ray Houghton and Trevor Steven to Brazil but not Beglin. Hamilton and Beglin should be RTE's No.1 pairing.

Where are they doing the commentary from?

Richie Sadiler on RTE2 now, here's a story he probably won't be relating to Bill or Darragh from his time with Ireland's Under 20 team

http://balls.ie/football/richie-sadlier-tells-brilliant-story-ireland-u20-1999-world-cup/
    There was one afternoon where there was seven of us in a bedroom. I’m not going to name any names and there was a suggestion by someone, I don’t know how to phrase this – ‘why don’t we have a competition where we pleasure ourselves and the fella who can complete the job first is the winner. So we all reacted the way you’re reacting now.

We all laughed and said well this fella is nuts. We were trying to work it out and he’s actually suggesting what we think he is.

Myself and another fella left, because it appeared this is actually going to happen. And it did, five lads competed with one another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

................ :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

I read somewhere that George Hamilton, Ray Houghton, Peter Collins and Trevor Steven are in Brazil. The rest are off-tube from Dublin.

Very noticeable on HD at times, it wasn't overly annoying but sometimes my eyes were drawn to it, checked 2 TVs so was definately there.

As for ITV, as you say it's far too big and the ITV logo is massive, from just flicking to BBC highlights late last night they are much much better.

RTE - you watching today yet? had it on for a few minutes & never noticed.
    though on second viewing, those flags either side of the team names could do with being shrunk in a bit or f'ing off altogether actually :pac:

ITV - they've the whites in the flags off as well, it's more like cream or something, stands out more because of the white line above & their DOG being white

matterface & clarke 'elocution' carlisle are an alright pairing for the commentary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I thought Stephen Alkin's comment about goal line technology replays being shown was a bit silly.

He said that "We've seen it all season in the Premier League, just get on with it".

Does Stephen realise that football doesn't begin and end with the EPL?

As an aside, that line on the TV during Brazil and Croatia was really annoying, I was changing channels half the night trying to make sure that it wasn't a crack in my screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

I thought my plasma was on the way out when I saw that line yesterday... had to change the channel a couple times to make sure :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Proco Jr. wrote: »
    I thought my plasma was on the way out when I saw that line yesterday... had to change the channel a couple times to make sure :pac:

That lines not on the online stream

I thought Stephen Alkin's comment about goal line technology replays being shown was a bit silly.

He said that "We've seen it all season in the Premier League, just get on with it".

It was a plain stupid comment, he sounded like a spoiled child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

MacBizzle wrote: »
    It was a plain stupid comment, he sounded like a spoiled child.

Showing those pointless goal line clips is stupid.

papu wrote: »
    Showing those pointless goal line clips is stupid.

I don't mind them, they only show it when there's nothing else happening.

smurfs5 wrote: »
    I read somewhere that George Hamilton, Ray Houghton, Peter Collins and Trevor Steven are in Brazil. The rest are off-tube from Dublin.

seen them earlier heading into PC World in jervis street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

is there any other league using it at the moment though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Stephen Alkin not a homosexual anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Neeson wrote: »
    Stephen Alkin not a homosexual anyway.

Not watching RTE.. Did he make a comment worthy of the hotties thread or something?

Proco Jr. wrote: »
    Not watching RTE.. Did he make a comment worthy of the hotties thread or something?

No. Just was thankful that the Mexican player pulled his shorts up!

Anyone else get this ad on their screen and keep thinking it's Richie Sadlier?

wEBskzN.jpg

Peter Collins, probably the weakest commentator at RTÉ yet gets possibly the biggest match of the group stages.

RTÉ's HD picture is very good - running at 11.9/12Mb/s compared with UTV HD running at 9.9Mb/s ... they are as always doing a very good job at major competitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I hate Collins commentary. Always sounds like it's added after the game in an editing room. Even when it's not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Peter Collins, probably the weakest commentator at RTÉ yet gets possibly the biggest match of the group stages.

RTÉ's HD picture is very good - running at 11.9/12Mb/s compared with UTV HD running at 9.9Mb/s ... they are as always doing a very good job at major competitions.

The difference is probably just a more complex error correction code!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Collins sounds like he has in balls trapped in a vice when he gets exicited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Collins sounds like he has in balls trapped in a vice when he gets exicited.

Yeah, the commentary sounds like its 3 seconds ahead of the game?

Dempsey wrote: »
    The difference is probably just a more complex error correction code!
    I couldn't tell you but RTÉ HD does look very good, sky pay for the uplink to satellite so RTÉ probably got all the best of gear from them :)

Maysa07 wrote: »
    Yeah, the commentary sounds like its 3 seconds ahead of the game?
    Ya just noticed that, about 1.5 sec i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭JiffyJ

Then it repeats every few minutes. They had this same problem at the last world cup. FFS - very annoying... and Peter Collins is annoying enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Commentary seems fine now.

If you flick between BBC & RTÉ the difference in crowd sound is amazing - RTÉ blaring it out and it sounds much better.

Commentary seems fine now.
    Ya they fixed it just about 2 min ago I think, a slight readjustment to sync properly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement