Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 - as seen on TV (commentary, pundits, adverts, the whole shebang)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Steve Wilson's on BBC One - a fantastic commentator.

Ferdinand is actually a lot better than I thought he'd be. He speaks well and has clearly done his research. Also enjoyed the video of him watching the Brazil match last night in Rafael and Fabio Da Silva's house!

Henry is quite good as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Steve Wilson's on BBC One - a fantastic commentator.

Ferdinand is actually a lot better than I thought he'd be. He speaks well and has clearly done his research. Also enjoyed the video of him watching the Brazil match last night in Rafael and Fabio Da Silva's house!

Henry is quite good as well.

Haven't watched it but i refuse to believe ferdinand is any good,you must be a man u fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Time delay is annoying now, perter crying about a penalty and the ball is in midfield ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

amkin25 wrote: »
    Haven't watched it but i refuse to believe ferdinand is any good,you must be a man u fan.

In fairness to Rio he was very good going through the teams.
    Pleasantly surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Maysa07 wrote: »
    Time delay is annoying now, perter crying about a penalty and the ball is in midfield ??

Yeah its terribly annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I saw this on twitter ...

Mark Chapman ‏@markchapman 1m
    Just to reiterate: FIFA insisting on replays for ALL goals show goal line technology. BBC and ITV can't do anything about it!! #pointless

Another reason to dislike FIFA, there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Skid X wrote: »
    I saw this on twitter ...

Mark Chapman ‏@markchapman 1m
    Just to reiterate: FIFA insisting on replays for ALL goals show goal line technology. BBC and ITV can't do anything about it!! #pointless

Another reason to dislike FIFA, there.

I think it's kind of funny.

"You wanted goal line technology? Okay, you'll get it over and over and over again."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Collins killed RTEs coverage of Formula 1, he is a quite useless commentator, he seems to fuss about the wrong things and miss important stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

mike65 wrote: »
    Collins killed RTEs coverage of Formula 1, he is a quite useless commentator, he seems to fuss about the wrong things and miss important stuff.

He will be in RTE until he dies.

• Advertisement

amkin25 wrote: »

Well he is and you can't really comment if you haven't watched him yet.

God knows why people are listening to Peter Collins's commentary when you can listen to the BBC's which is top class.

I checked to see what the BBC did with the Red Button option - 5live maybe? Nope. Ambient sound only? Nope Instead they have some supposedly amusing alternative commentary by two people who are not funny :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I checked to see what the BBC did with the Red Button option - 5live maybe? Nope. Ambient sound only? Nope Instead they have some supposedly amusing alternative commentary by two people who are not funny :mad:

You can change it between 5live and radio 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

One of two black players on the pitch for Holland goes down and Lawrenson calls it as Vlaar.

Neeson wrote: »
    You can change it between 5live and radio 1

Its f*cked up on freesat - when you press the option on the text menu the signal dies - both SD and HD, the "jokey" comms is on red button channel non freesat channal 3144

ITV must be absolutely hopping mad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I don't think I've ever come across RTE having so many ads before for anything.

And Stephen Alkin needs to never pick up a mic again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Giles and the Northern Irish manager make a nice combo!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Did Billo just say Japan were hosts in 2006?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Brian Kerr, Christ are they out to kill us.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Thought Michael O'Neill was quite impressive on RTE giving a synopsis of the Chilean team.

Gilesie was embarrassingly bad in picking out the one Aussie player he had heard of - Tim Cahill. Even Billo was slagging him about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Thought Michael O'Neill was quite impressive on RTE giving a synopsis of the Chilean team.

Gilesie was embarrassingly bad in picking out the one Aussie player he had heard of - Tim Cahill. Even Billo was slagging him about it.

Giles is always good for a laugh it's clear he doesn't know half the players he talks about.

I love Brian Kerr's accent. The Chilean teeyem... great floooiditee

Tim Cathal

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

RTE should have gotten Timmy McCarthy to do some work at the WC, just to try something different instead of Peter Collins.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    RTE should have gotten Timmy McCarthy to do some work at the WC, just to try something different instead of Peter Collins.

And the ball is crossed in....Cahill....BOOMSHAKALAKA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I preferred the Collins/ Kennedy pairing back in the day to Walker / Brundle. Way better then Quigley that's for sure.
    If Alkin Beglin were in Dublin today they covered it up pretty well, making comments about the rain that was not that obvious from the pictures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Possible to watch the RTE post match commentary debate outside of Ireland? Not having luck with rte.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

jank wrote: »
    Possible to watch the RTE post match commentary debate outside of Ireland? Not having luck with rte.ie.

Use an Irish proxy server

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

flazio wrote: »
    I preferred the Collins/ Kennedy pairing back in the day to Walker / Brundle. Way better then Quigley that's for sure.
    If Alkin Beglin were in Dublin today they covered it up pretty well, making comments about the rain that was not that obvious from the pictures.

They'd have multiple screens relating the action from every camera angle

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Lucas Castroman

Did anybody watch Chile-Australia last night on RTE and catch John Giles disgraceful performance?

He simply has no knowledge of players beyond the Premiership. The only player he could knowledgeably comment upon was Tim Cahill. When his co-pundit displayed some knowledge about the Chilean players he smirked smugly clearly amused at the concept of actually preparing/researching for a match.

This has been a recurring theme for as long as I can remember and to a lesser extent applies also to Liam Brady and Eamon Dunphy. Their attitude smacks of serious arrogance or perhaps attributable to their lack of a formal education in some cases.

They seem to believe that all they need to bring to the table is their "expert tactical knowledge" which incidentally are the same points continuously rehashed. I know if I attended my job with the same level of preparation I'd be quickly told where to go.

I'm not asking for much - I'd just like Giles to display some inclination that he give a f**K about what's going on - try learning the players names would be a start.
    I'd much rather if they employed a journalist who wasn't an "ex-pro" with an actual interest in World Soccer and could speak intelligently about same - Ken Early springs to mind.

Giles is supposedly a national treasure and seems beyond reproach. However, as a pundit he is an embarrassment and should be put out to pasture.
    The emperor has no clothes in this instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

jank wrote: »

use Hola, extension for chrome. it's so easy to use. when you go to rte.ie just change the flag from your local one to the irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Did anybody watch Chile-Australia last night on RTE and catch John Giles disgraceful performance?

He simply has no knowledge of players beyond the Premiership. The only player he could knowledgeably comment upon was Tim Cahill. When his co-pundit displayed some knowledge about the Chilean players he smirked smugly clearly amused at the concept of actually preparing/researching for a match.

This has been a recurring theme for as long as I can remember and to a lesser extent applies also to Liam Brady and Eamon Dunphy. Their attitude smacks of serious arrogance or perhaps attributable to their lack of a formal education in some cases.

They seem to believe that all they need to bring to the table is their "expert tactical knowledge" which incidentally are the same points continuously rehashed. I know if I attended my job with the same level of preparation I'd be quickly told where to go.

I'm not asking for much - I'd just like Giles to display some inclination that he give a f**K about what's going on - try learning the players names would be a start.
    I'd much rather if they employed a journalist who wasn't an "ex-pro" with an actual interest in World Soccer and could speak intelligently about same - Ken Early springs to mind.

Giles is supposedly a national treasure and seems beyond reproach. However, as a pundit he is an embarrassment and should be put out to pasture.
    The emperor has no clothes in this instance.

WTF has this got to do with anything? Let me guess , you have a chip on your shoulder because that Phd in Medieval poetry isnt turning out to be the job magnet you were hoping for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

At this stage he's only interested in the money. There are pundits out there that would happily be part of RTE's coverage for free because they love the game and love talking about it. He's not one of him. He's all about appearance money now. He has quite a busy "social" calendar.

It's fairly ridiculous that the people at RTE haven't replaced him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Giles is pretty lazy when it comes to knowing players in Europe etc, but his analysis on certain points of a game is still interesting and he still has a good insight into things. His shortcomings in the former respect is really shown up in the World Cup though unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The 3 stooges are premier league centric. They are dismissive of everything outside it until they trumping English Clubs in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Dempsey wrote: »
    The 3 stooges are premier league centric. They are dismissive of everything outside it until they trumping English Clubs in Europe.

You're forgetting the "Spanish Football Expert" Dunphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

You're forgetting the "Spanish Football Expert" Dunphy.

Anything outside of Madrid & Barcelona and he's stumped like the other two!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Good points Lucas but if you get a knowledgable journalist they would be accused of not having achieved anything on the pitch, the top players on the other hand haven't necessarily done the research. It's tough to get the balance right, that's why for me Hansen was the top pundit.

It's tough to get the balance right, that's why for me Hansen was the top pundit.

Yeah. He does it with consummate ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Good points Lucas but if you get a knowledgable journalist they would be accused of not having achieved anything on the pitch, the top players on the other hand haven't necessarily done the research. It's tough to get the balance right, that's why for me Hansen was the top pundit.

They would but i don't see why, people don't say Mark Kermode or whoever cant comment on movies because he is not a director or actor, or music or other arts critics don't have to have achieved anything themselves to have their opinions respected.

Even if you say its a "sports" thing many other TV pundits for other sports have little experience in their sports.

In the same way you don't have to be a top player to be a good manger as they are completely different things I don't see why so many ex-pros are given so much airtime when they don't show any effort or aptitude to pundits roles.

Imagine bringing a paid "expert" onto primetime or whatever who hadn't bothered looking into what they are asked be comment on relying on the fact they used to do the same job 30 years ago when it was much different.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Lucas Castroman

LaGlisse wrote: »
    WTF has this got to do with anything? Let me guess , you have a chip on your shoulder because that Phd in Medieval poetry isnt turning out to be the job magnet you were hoping for?

In school, you learn disciplines and skills such as research/preparation/self-directed learning all of which would be underdeveloped in your average professional footballer. You learn to do your homework before school. Giles has the resemblance of a lost schoolboy whose "dog ate his homework".

I'll choose to rise above your petty cheap shot ;)

I think Lucas is spot on in his analysis of Giles last night.

Giles reminds me of Aliss on the BBC golf coverage.

1. The games of golf and soccer have moved on, and
    2. They don't know the modern players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think Lucas is spot on in his analysis of Giles last night.

Giles reminds me of Aliss on the BBC golf coverage.

1. The games of golf and soccer have moved on, and
    2. They don't know the modern players.

No, but someone like Aliss, his voice is so linked with the game that people just like to hear him, and the gravitas he imparts. He's like an aural Worther's Original, or an old comfy chair. Same thing with Giles. Ideally, both would work well off of a younger colour commentator who can give you all the nuts and bolts, like Sadlier can.

I don't agree that people want to hear the likes of Giles or Aliss. The world of punditry has moved on. People expect more nowadays.

The problem with putting someone like Giles with Sadlier is that Giles (or Dunphy) seems to feel the need to score points against the younger more informed guy. Whether that's because they feel intimidated by the greater knowledge of the younger guy, or marking their territory, I'm not sure.

I agree with someone earlier who said Ken Early could make a good pundit. Enjoying his articles in the IT.

I don't agree that people want to hear the likes of Giles or Aliss. The world of punditry has moved on. People expect more nowadays.

I agree with someone earlier who said Ken Early could make a good pundit. Enjoying his articles in the IT.

If people didn't want to hear Giles, RTE would have stopped employing him long ago.

I remember someone complaining to Off the Ball a few years ago, that old chestnut about research and Early said if you want research go do it yourself.

People know what Giles and co are like at this stage, the constant whinging about research is getting tiresome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Anyone looking for in depth knowledge or insight should stay away from Rte in particular . All it is is a punch and Judy / pantomime show with the 4 lads . Sadier and to a lesser extent cunning ham and kerry provide some insight but I'm just watch the game make up your own mind and make a mug of tay at halftime

I don't think people are dismissive of journalists. Just look at BT's European Football Show and how brilliantly Raphael Honigstein, Julien Laurens and James Horncastle have been received. Their knowledge and analysis are fascinating hence their popularity.

Tim Vickery, the BBC's South America Football Correspondent, has also been prominent across various platforms and has been very well received.

Ex-players don't necessarily make good pundits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

If people didn't want to hear Giles, RTE would have stopped employing him long ago.

I remember someone complaining to Off the Ball a few years ago, that old chestnut about research and Early said if you want research go do it yourself.

People know what Giles and co are like at this stage, the constant whinging about research is getting tiresome

I've got a job to do which I work hard at, I don't have time to spend ages researching the Costa Rica qualifying games.

When somebody hires me to give me professional opinion on something I do some bloody work I don't just wing it week after week.

I'm enjoying Neil Lennon on the BBC.

I don't think RTE look at it like that. They still rely on their impression that the Billo/Giles/Dunphy combo is box-office. Isolating any of them and putting them with more informed pundits shows them up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement