Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 - as seen on TV (commentary, pundits, adverts, the whole shebang)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

Did anyone else see Giles last night on the Chile game?

Bill said something like "We'll talk about Chile now John".

John sits back and says "Fire away". (Admitting he doesn't have a clue about Chile or didn't research.)

All he said was Cahill is good at headers because he seen him at Everton.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I've got a job to do which I work hard at, I don't have time to spend ages researching the Costa Rica qualifying games.

When somebody hires me to give me professional opinion on something I do some bloody work I don't just wing it week after week.

I only mentioned it because it's coming from a younger guy, someone who people think can replace the old guard
    Pdoghue wrote: »
    I don't think RTE look at it like that. They still rely on their impression that the Billo/Giles/Dunphy combo is box-office. Isolating any of them and putting them with more informed pundits shows them up.

If RTE announced before the World Cup there would be no Giles or Dunphy, there more than likely would be uproar, it's tried and tested at this stage, I agree they could do more pre match stuff, but Giles is great at recognising game patterns and strengths/weaknesses in players that for me he gets away with it.

Kenny Cunningham is the best pundit on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Giles is great at recognising game patterns and strengths/weaknesses in players

I do agree with that. It's the lack of context is what's missing. It's all well and fine judging a game on its merits, but if the left back is coming in to the game with an injury, or the coach is trying a new formation, or whatever, and the pundit doesn't know this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I never heard the term "Gee the crowd up" used so often in 15 minutes.

Also Giorgios Karagounis 4 Prez

Kenny Cunningham is the best pundit on RTE.

Kenny's not bad. He's talking less about the 'football' teams, and the 'football' pitch, which is an improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Kenny I hate Arsenal Cunningham i think he's full of it to be honest, He desperatly wants to be the new Eamonn Dunphy (slightly more intelligent)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Are RTÉ doing off the tube commentary during this WC I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Kenny I hate Arsenal Cunningham i think he's full of it to be honest, He desperatly wants to be the new Eamonn Dunphy (slightly more intelligent)

Ronnie Whelan, Hamann, Giles are others too that hate Arsenal that's why I ain't a fan of those pundits.

irishfeen wrote: »

I think so yes. Think they only have Hamilton, Houghton, Trevor Steven and Peter Collins out there.

• Advertisement

I think so yes. Think they only have Hamilton, Houghton, Trevor Steven and Peter Collins out there.
    That's what I was thinking too, can't ever remember that being the case in the past but I suppose finances are tight in the sports department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Will RTE have any guest panellists for this WC?

briany wrote: »

ossie, dieter, neil lennon are the ones I can think off.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Martin Tyler alongside Ray Houghton there - would love if RTÉ could use Tyler's commentary whichever broadcaster he is covering for... if they had Hamilton and Tyler they would have probably No. 1 (Tyler) and No. 3 (Hamilton) best commentators in UK/Ireland

briany wrote: »
    John Giles, Eamon Dunphy, Liam Brady, Ronnie Whelan, Kenny Cunningham, Richie Sadlier, Didi Hamann, Ossie Ardiles, Neil Lennon, Brad Friedel, Michael O'Neill and Paul Clement from RTÉ's press release.

John Giles, Eamon Dunphy, Liam Brady, Ronnie Whelan, Kenny Cunningham, Richie Sadlier, Didi Hamann, Ossie Ardiles, Neil Lennon, Brad Friedel, Michael O'Neill and Paul Clement from RTÉ's press release.

Clement will be bought out for the England matches
    Friedel, Ardiles and Hamann for our own countries too. Too make up for giles and Dunphy lack of knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

'I think he had a chance to go to ground there'

wtf has gone wrong with football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Lennon is in Brazil with bbc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Neeson wrote: »
    Lennon is in Brazil with bbc

He is but RTE did announce that he'd be with them at some stage i thought

Clement is also a very interesting choice, looking forward to hearing from him

Anyone know if RTÉ are overlaying score graphics themselves in Dublin or are they coming through with the host broadcasters feed?

Kerr talks way too much as the co-commentator.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Kerr talks way too much as the co-commentator.

If it means Stephen Alkin talks less I am all for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Anyone know if RTÉ are overlaying score graphics themselves in Dublin or are they coming through with the host broadcasters feed?

The score and clock in the corner is their own work.

Believe it or not I actually know the guy in RTE who does it.

murpho999 wrote: »
    The score and clock in the corner is their own work.

Believe it or not I actually know the guy in RTE who does it.
    Ha gas, I always wondered how its actually done (is it like a +- goal button or do they actually write the number in)... fair used to RTÉ, their graphics put ITV to shame and look very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Looks nice and clean, better than utv's/bbc's.

Probably more of a contribution than Alken will make during the wc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Dunphy, Giles and Brady on live TV at 4am...
    They'll be drunk or asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

That's what I was thinking too, can't ever remember that being the case in the past but I suppose finances are tight in the sports department.

I can appreciate that but it's still pretty poor to have most of the commentators off tube for such a massive tournament. Surely cutbacks could have been made elsewhere as off-tube commentary detracts from the coverage overall.
    GreNoLi wrote: »
    Looks nice and clean, better than utv's/bbc's.

Certainly better than ITV but I think BBC's look cleaner and are smaller - looks better IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what good is having foreign superstars on, if their english is incomprehensible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

smurfs5 wrote: »
    I can appreciate that but it's still pretty poor to have most of the commentators off tube for such a massive tournament. Surely cutbacks could have been made elsewhere as off-tube commentary detracts from the coverage overall.

Most people wouldn't notice the difference. It's annoying, but it's a soft option when RTE are working with reduced budgets.

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »
    Most people wouldn't notice the difference.

How can you tell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Liam Brady: "I think neither team want to lose this one tonight'

He thinks?

Not even pink make them two pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Liam Brady: "I think neither team want to lose this one tonight'

He thinks?

I think what he means to say is that both teams plan on playing a conservative game, with emphasis on defense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Eamo dandruff issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shockframe

Johnny Giles is an absolute joke of a pundit.

Has there ever been a pundit like him who does no research on anyone outside the premiership.

The way he addressed Chile last night was an embarassment and Michael O'Neill made him look distinctly amateur. If/When England get knocked out he'll be lost.

Shouldnt be just Bill's last tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

:( crap that SKY have blocked RTE on there box up North :( hopefully the BBC have that no comm option on the red button

:( crap that SKY have blocked RTE on there box up North :( hopefully the BBC have that no comm option on the red button
    Isn't RTÉ on both freeview and Saorview up north? Have you access?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Isn't RTÉ on both freeview and Saorview up north? Have you access?

No access to either where I live damn hills of Derry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Fun to flick from RTE

Anyone know what Rio's first language is? Cos it certainly aint English

• Advertisement

No access to either where I live damn hills of Derry
    Ah lad that's a dose, Bill and the boys in studio and Hamilton too on commentator duty - your missing the best of RTÉ Soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Couldn't hack RTE's panel of geriatrics and chose to switch to BBC.

See two Neanderthals with less brain cells combined than Joey Essex and now hoping ITV can save my sanity.

It's not on ITV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

BBC and their countdown timer, ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

Has Rio said merked yet? I'm still convinced that bet will come up :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Good analysis from Giles there.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Neeson wrote: »
    It's not on ITV

I found that out and now have the bbc coverage muted except when Henry speaks.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Fun to flick from RTE

Anyone know what Rio's first language is? Cos it certainly aint English

I think it's ghetto?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Dunphy sounds exactly like my Dad. My Dad likes to think he knows much about the game but he knows **** all and I cringe when I hear him trying to keep up with the conversation in the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

mike65 wrote: »
    Eamo dandruff issue?

Or cocaine habit...

Advertisement