Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 - as seen on TV (commentary, pundits, adverts, the whole shebang)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Its a real pitty its George Hamilton & Ray Houghton this evening - Jim Beglin taking Ray's place would bring back RTÉ's best ever football commentary team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

Will Giles me brought back to the home before 12 or will he be allowed stay out late for the night? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Dunphy sounds exactly like my Dad. My Dad likes to think he knows much about the game but he knows **** all and I cringe when I hear him trying to keep up with the conversation in the pub.

I think posts like this are the cringeworthy part. Watch games in the presence of football coaches and you'll realise there is no insightful TV analysis with very rare exceptions. It's mostly all bull****. The RTE panel have forgotten more about football than I'll ever know and they are edgy and entertaining.

Now bland is a valid preference. If bland is what you require BBC and ITV are there. But let's not pretend that the discussion there is better than pub talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Red button on BBC gives pictures of the ground with either no comm or radio 5 live no need to listen to the studio now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Will Giles me brought back to the home before 12 or will he be allowed stay out late for the night? :)

Why to you have to me so ageist?

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Why to you have to me so ageist?

Not ageist. If he was 50 and was that way in the head I'd say the same thing. It was a joke anyways. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Wonder if Ray brought his bag o' water.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Best Apres Match ever :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Anyone tired tonight watching this on BBC? Phil Neville is not going to help you stay awake. Soporific!!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

The most cringeworthy piece of analysis I saw before the match was Shearer saying Gerrard could dictate the game exactly how Pirlo did 2 years ago. Totally different types of players.

• Advertisement

Apres Match was brilliant alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

The 12 million Liverpool paid for Daniel Sturridge should be in the bargain alerts area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Gerrard looks very leggy. Poor first half from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

John Giles getting confused Liverland, Engpool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Exciting first half and two good games earlier,this is looking like a good WC

You get the sense it's way beyond Gilesie's bedtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

]Best part was the big reveal of the physio injuring his ankle celebrating the goal! 10470928_538292159614563_8432511816210278261_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think posts like this are the cringeworthy part. Watch games in the presence of football coaches and you'll realise there is no insightful TV analysis with very rare exceptions. It's mostly all bull****. The RTE panel have forgotten more about football than I'll ever know and they are edgy and entertaining.

Now bland is a valid preference. If bland is what you require BBC and ITV are there. But let's not pretend that the discussion there is better than pub talk.

Did us hear him? He could hardly gather his thoughts. You'll rarely ever hear me give it about the pundits as its not something that bothers me much but he was seriously struggling to decide what it was he was trying to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

For anyone interested twitter account 121captions are tweeting lip readers interpretations of what the players are saying. Nothing mad so far ... Obviously!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Are the lads on rte going to be still on air by the time the ivory coast Japan game is finished, I.e. around 4am?

Eamo will be hopping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Apres Match need to do a night shift sketch. Bill, Eamo and John sitting there in stripy blue pyjamas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Dunphy is wired. He's pulling faces to off camera people and all. He must be on the vodka again.

Digitalism wrote: »
    Dunphy is wired. He's pulling faces to off camera people and all. He must be on the vodka again.

And the bar isn't even closed yet. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Missed the Apres Match. What time was it on at?

I thought the analysis was spot on after the england match.
    And leave Giles alone. He analyses the football. That's his job. I think he can be forgiven for not memorising the names and stats of every player in the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

razorblunt wrote: »
    For anyone interested twitter account 121captions are tweeting lip readers interpretations of what the players are saying. Nothing mad so far ... Obviously!

they'd probably get more followers covering babestation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Anyone else think the HD picture quality for the matches so far has been pretty poor ?
    The close up shots are very good but once the camera zooms out it looks very blurry ,its hard to make players numbers and faces out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd say Tony O'Donoghue is even his own cameraman for the graveyard shift. Had to get George on the phone to kill time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Tony O'Donoughue signing off 'From me it's good night and good morning'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

They used "A Hard Day's Night" for the signoff montage. Top sense of humour at 4 in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Did anybody watch Chile-Australia last night on RTE and catch John Giles disgraceful performance?

He simply has no knowledge of players beyond the Premiership. The only player he could knowledgeably comment upon was Tim Cahill. When his co-pundit displayed some knowledge about the Chilean players he smirked smugly clearly amused at the concept of actually preparing/researching for a match.

This has been a recurring theme for as long as I can remember and to a lesser extent applies also to Liam Brady and Eamon Dunphy. Their attitude smacks of serious arrogance or perhaps attributable to their lack of a formal education in some cases.

They seem to believe that all they need to bring to the table is their "expert tactical knowledge" which incidentally are the same points continuously rehashed. I know if I attended my job with the same level of preparation I'd be quickly told where to go.

I'm not asking for much - I'd just like Giles to display some inclination that he give a f**K about what's going on - try learning the players names would be a start.
    I'd much rather if they employed a journalist who wasn't an "ex-pro" with an actual interest in World Soccer and could speak intelligently about same - Ken Early springs to mind.

Giles is supposedly a national treasure and seems beyond reproach. However, as a pundit he is an embarrassment and should be put out to pasture.
    The emperor has no clothes in this instance.

I complained about this in the last world cup the 2010 one. Not only do they not know about the lesser nations. in 2010 Dunphy said that the Australians would hammer Germany! At that stage they were only able to mention the bayern players, champions league or players in the epl. None of them knew anything about Ozil then. The response from RTE was are ITV and the BBC any better!?

So it seems nothing much has changed!:confused:

Wouldn't you think the RTE researchers would look up you tube for him and give him something? Not that difficult to research these days unless it is the like of Iran!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Pdoghue wrote: »
    I love Brian Kerr's accent. The Chilean teeyem... great floooiditee

Every time I hear him I think of him describing stephen ward (then playing for wolves) "he used to play in a more forward role for Portamarnock in the leinster senior league..."

It's brilliant when he describes defending as dopey and things like that.

But the gas thing is he knows his stuff he is probably the most knowledge pundit RTE have.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Liking the parts in the RTE highlights show where they show the headlines from the national newspapers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really wish Adrian Chiles would shut up about how hot it is and just melt off..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Adrain Chiles describing Ecuador leading as an upset. Wouldn't really go that far, I fully expected them to do well, purely based on their acclimatisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Adrain Chiles describing Ecuador leading as an upset. Wouldn't really go that far, I fully expected them to do well, purely based on their acclimatisation.

That's not the reason they scored though ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Every time I hear him I think of him describing stephen ward (then playing for wolves) "he used to play in a more forward role for Portamarnock in the leinster senior league..."

It's brilliant when he describes defending as dopey and things like that.

But the gas thing is he knows his stuff he is probably the most knowledge pundit RTE have.

Easily the best, has his homework done before every game too and knows so much about the players, in comparison to Giles and Dunphy who know very few outside the premier league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

wonga77 wrote: »
    Easily the best, has his homework done before every game too and knows so much about the players, in comparison to Giles and Dunphy who know very few outside the premier league

I'd say Giles and Dunphy are better than Brady, he seems like the kind of guy who only watches 3 or 4 games a season and still thinks he knows what he's on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

MacBizzle wrote: »
    I'd say Giles and Dunphy are better than Brady, he seems like the kind of guy who only watches 3 or 4 games a season and still thinks he knows what he's on about.

I say it's the other way around MacBizzle, Giles and Dunphy are so behind on modern football it's crazy but it's always good for a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

Looper007 wrote: »
    I say it's the other way around MacBizzle, Giles and Dunphy are so behind on modern football it's crazy but it's always good for a laugh.

They're all absolutely shíte in fairness, all good craic but absolutely clueless. Are they all finished this year or just Bill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

They're all absolutely shíte in fairness, all good craic but absolutely clueless. Are they all finished this year or just Bill?

Bill is for sure, but I think it's time for Giles to step aside as well. Dunphy has one or two left in him and Brady has a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Anyone see the BBC at half time they were talking about was Johnsons handball a handball and Linker asks Henry ever got away with a handball. Says no never and looks around to see if an irish shooter was around

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

UTV in from the beach I see if the Irish did that there be outrage (rightfully so). Would not have been aloud would have emptied the beech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shockframe

I'm neutral towards Brady as he is no better or worse than the other pundits out there.

Dunphy makes a fool of himself yes but he does at least mention European football.

I still believe Giles knowledge of anyone outside of England is a disgrace. No surprise that he wont be near a game like Switzerland and Ecaudor.England/Spain/Brazil all the way.

The likes of Sadlier, Cunningham and O'Neill dont come across as fools and should get to analyse the bigger teams.

wonga77 wrote: »

Agreed. Kerr's knowledge of teams and players is impressive. Giles and Dunphy would look down their nose at Kerr I'm sure, as he was never involved in the English game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Robbie Savage on BBC 1, excellent.

Robbie Savage and Joey Barton may turn out to be the best two ex and current pro pundits who would have thought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I've said it before but I'll say it again, Sadlier is terrific. Exactly the right mix of global football knowledge, being informative without getting overly technical and having a natural charisma which translates well to television. Throw in being well spoken, not afraid to say what's,on his mind but doesn't create controversy for the sake of it and the research he puts in shines through when he talks, for me, he is undoubtedly RTE'S best pundit.

Sadlier on Hodgson "he wouldn't inspire you across the road."

I've said it before but I'll say it again, Sadlier is terrific. Exactly the right mix of global football knowledge, being informative without getting overly technical and having a natural charisma which translates well to television. Throw in being well spoken, not afraid to say what's,on his mind but doesn't create controversy for the sake of it and the research he puts in shines through when he talks, for me, he is undoubtedly RTE'S best pundit.

Sadlier on Hodgson "he wouldn't inspire you across the road."

The one thing I do wish he would do is not let the likes of Whelan and Dunphy shout him down.

Sadlier is the best RTE have from the home grown pundits. I am looking forward to Paul Clement joining the panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sadlier is easily RTEs best semi-regular. The old duffers need elbowing out of the way, trouble is this stuff is like a social club for the Holy Trinity.

Hodgson is the bus conductor of managers "oi! sit down at the back. You, stop running about!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I've been impressed by Sadlier on RTE so far. I think he has been giving a lot of solid analysis.

• Advertisement
Advertisement