Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 - as seen on TV (commentary, pundits, adverts, the whole shebang)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Right now on RTE we are experiencing the extreme different ends of the spectrum in regards the speed at which a pundit speaks. The tempo has risen more than a couple of gears here with Ossie Ardilles than it was last night with Brady and Giles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Ronnie Whelan: "Giroud scores lots of goals, but isn't a good player."

Wat

That's the definition of a good player if your a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

mike65 wrote: »
    Sadlier is easily RTEs best semi-regular. The old duffers need elbowing out of the way, trouble is this stuff is like a social club for the Holy Trinity.

Hodgson is the bus conductor of managers "oi! sit down at the back. You, stop running about!"

Hodgson is the ignored bus conductor that no-one pays any attention to whatsoever. Let him say his bit and once his back is turned/play starts what he said is completely ignored.

If things are going badly by England's third game expect to hear stories of the players complete lack of faith in him.

The holy trio have taken advantage of the standard situation in RTE in that once you get a job/position at RTE you've a job for as long as you want it no matter how much off a half-arsed approach you take to the job.

Anyone up and coming has to wait for those ahead of them to die/retire to move up the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Ossie is a likeable character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Bill "we know Honduras for their drugs, their crime and having the highest murder rate in the world, what about their football?"

Jesus wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

wonga77 wrote: »
    Bill "we know Honduras for their drugs, their crime and having the highest murder rate in the world, what about their football?"

Jesus wept

The BBC also referenced the crime, but in a less crass way. They have the highest murder rate in the world.

Anthems in crisis!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Jesus wept

I love that the three of them smiled and chuckled at the startling statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

france players didn't want to do that stoopid arms crossing horseshyte anyway..
    they all took their time with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Boom__Boom wrote: »

The holy trio have taken advantage of the standard situation in RTE in that once you get a job/position at RTE you've a job for as long as you want it no matter how much off a half-arsed approach you take to the job.

Anyone up and coming has to wait for those ahead of them to die/retire to move up the pecking order.

Absolutely.

The two most cringeworthy aspects of the holy trinity 'analysis' so far have been:

1. The comparison of Brazil 1970 v Brazil of today, comparing Carlos Alberto's goal to a long ball by a current Brazil player in the Confederations Cup last year.

2. Giles being shown up really badly by Michael O'Neill's knowledge the other night before the Chile v Australia game.

• Advertisement

Jesus wept

The Honduran ambassador will be making a call to RTE i'd imagine.

Imagine Ireland were playing in the World Cupand someone on Honduran telly said "we know Ireland for their drinking, their terrorism and having the most bombed hotel in the world, what about their football?" what sort of a reaction there would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

mike65 wrote: »
    The BBC also referenced the crime, but in a less crass way. They have the highest murder rate in the world.

Anthems in crisis!

I studied Spanish in college and we studied Latin American cultures as part of the course. Honduras is incredibly dangerous. Their police force barely functions. It's rotten to the core with criminals and corruption.

Sound dodgy on RTE again - just heard Petey Collins twice there - off to BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Glitch in the matrix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

I studied Spanish in college and we studied Latin American cultures as part of the course. Honduras is incredibly dangerous. Their police force barely functions. It's rotten to the core with criminals and corruption.

Aye. San Pedro Sula wouldn't exactly be on my bucket list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Imagine Ireland were playing in the World Cupand someone on Honduran telly said "we know Ireland for their drinking, their terrorism and having the most bombed hotel in the world, what about their football?" what sort of a reaction there would be.

We'd have to make it to the world cup first ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Northern Ireland would be furious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Seems to happen at the start of each game but then gets sorted.

Do people here not find the quality better on RTE though?

I found the crowd noise turned down low on UTV & BBC and also not full 5.1 surrond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Ossie is great to listen to, I can barely understand him, but he makes some very good points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

batistuta9 wrote: »
    they'd probably get more followers covering babestation

You sir may have just cornered the market there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I've said it before but I'll say it again, Sadlier is terrific. Exactly the right mix of global football knowledge, being informative without getting overly technical and having a natural charisma which translates well to television. Throw in being well spoken, not afraid to say what's,on his mind but doesn't create controversy for the sake of it and the research he puts in shines through when he talks, for me, he is undoubtedly RTE'S best pundit.

I like what he says its just the way he says it that I dont like,his tone seems off ,its too aggressive ,like he as a chip on his shoulder .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Robbie Savage well briefed there.

Ossie Ardiles or Rowley Birkin QC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Why is Ronnie Whelan complaining about the length of time for the goal line technology to show up. There have been longer stoppages for celebrations. He is one very negative man, along with the rest od RTÉ's pundits.

Everything is wrong, wrong, wrong according to those lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

I like what he says its just the way he says it that I dont like,his tone seems off ,its too aggressive ,like he as a chip on his shoulder .

Ah,leave Brady out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

efb wrote: »
    Northern Ireland would be furious

He said Ireland. Nobody mentioned Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

thatsthejoke.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Yep, hopefully his demeanor will improve, as his analysis is very good. I prefer when he sits closest to Bill as it doesn't set him up as the "know-it-all" over there on his own...

He reminds me of Conor O'Shea on rugby panel for RTE - the only one who has played, and still remains in, rugby in recent memory, yet he comes across to me on TV as a smug git.

Opinions for radio:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Over in UK so watched the France match with 5 live commentary from Conor Macnamara and Pat Nevin. I think because they're commentating for radio it was a lot more colourful than just TV and very entertaining.

Regarding Sterlings side net last night and another tonight where the ball looks like its gone in Macnamara starts talking about subbuteo nets as a kid and the way the ball used to come straight out.

Nevin discussing the goal line technology and saying he wants a cameraa angle from above Macnamara reads out a tweet which says 'What are you two guys on about'

Macnamara then talks about the French player born on a boat who has 'la Mer' as place of birth written on his passport and suggests that in future tournaments a player may have outer space on his passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Darragh: Kenny let's go to the Bosnia and Herzegovina lineup.
    Kenny: Yeah absolutely.

Really liked that linkup.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

Probably the worst pundit on there. Although often I find it hard to agree with anything Brady says.
    Why is Ronnie Whelan complaining about the length of time for the goal line technology to show up. There have been longer stoppages for celebrations. He is one very negative man, along with the rest od RTÉ's pundits.

Everything is wrong, wrong, wrong according to those lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Ossie Ardiles is good craic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Rio Ferdinand is fecking useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

bardcom wrote: »
    He said Ireland. Nobody mentioned Northern Ireland.

I think the joke was that Northern Ireland would be "furious" that Ireland was famous for terrorism when its NI that should be famous for it.

I haven't explained it that well but that's what it came across as to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Surprised there hasn't been more said about Phil Nevilles shocking performance the other night, it was actually painful on the ears after a while.

Bad enough he sounded like he was in a different room to the other commentator, but those clipped sentences for ninety minutes hurt my brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

murpho999 wrote: »
    Seems to happen at the start of each game but then gets sorted.

Do people here not find the quality better on RTE though?

I found the crowd noise turned down low on UTV & BBC and also not full 5.1 surrond.

The commentary on BBC is a million times better though so I don't mind a slightly reduced crowd noise level.

Commentator on BBC just remarked that the Argies beat Bosnia last November in St. Louis, America.

Is it not pronounced St. Lewis?

The only reason I ask is because I'm sure that's how they pronounce it for one Randall Keith Orton.

Also, Spirit of St Louis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Rio Ferdinand is fecking useless

I think he might be the least intelligent "pundit" I've ever seen.

He makes Shearer look learned and knowledgeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

RTE saying Aguero is now the nephew of Maradona, they like to keep it in the family.

Looper007 wrote: »
    RTE saying Aguero is now the nephew of Maradona, they like to keep it in the family.

Are you serious?

That's shockingly lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

smurfs5 wrote: »
    The commentary on BBC is a million times better though so I don't mind a slightly reduced crowd noise level.

I really don't agree with that.

Johnathan Pearse tonight was awful on BBC as was Phil Nevlille during England match.

I just think there are many out there who just like to criticise RTE no matter what they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

The two boys on rte are creaming themselves over messi, not one bit biased...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

The two boys on rte are creaming themselves over messi, not one bit biased...

Watch them tomorrow now when Ronaldo makes one mistake and they'll slaughter him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

"It's messy at the back post"

Johnathan Pearse tonight was awful on BBC as was Phil Nevlille during England match.

I just think there are many out there who just like to criticise RTE no matter what they do.

Phil Neville was brutal last night, calling a professional foul a "technical foul" and not realising they are two different things.

He's a footballer, surely he should know the difference between the two. Even my mother knows that ffs.

Sorry Mammy :o

Are you serious?

That's shockingly lazy.

No serious it was said during one of Argentina's free kicks in the 2nd half.

MacBizzle wrote: »
    Phil Neville was brutal last night, calling a professional foul a "technical foul" and not realising they are two different things.

He's a footballer, surely he should know the difference between the two. Even my mother knows that ffs.

Sorry Mammy :o

Just cause Gary is during the business on Sky doesn't mean it runs in the Neville family :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Nice specs Gary, reminds me Dierdre Barlow.

The reason people get so annoyed with RTE is that Giles and Dunphy have become so lazy in their attitude.

A bit off topic, but look at this example of Giles

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/john-giles-journeyman-anelka-should-walk-away-from-football-29941030.html

He states that Anelka kept Henry on the left wing for Arsenal...if I remember correctly then they never actually played together at the club!

It must really sicken them to see what Ronaldo has become, they used to give him awful sh!t down through the years.

I hope he bangs in a shed load of goals over the course of the tournament.

It must really sicken them to see what Ronaldo has become, they used to give him awful sh!t down through the years.

See them after the Champions League final? Completely ignore the fact he was injured, and the fact he scored a goal, and just discuss how there was a "commercial aspect" to his celebration.

Ronaldo's an insufferable narcissist, there's no question about that. But they give him no credit whatsoever. That's the main issue I have with RTÉ, they spout a load of nonsense about the pettiest of events and ignore what's actually a big deal.

Same thing happens with Pat Spillane in the Gaelic Football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Although he's usually a consistently good commentator, Pearce wasn't great tonight and Neville was poor last night.
    However, Steve Wilson, Guy Mowbray and Simon Brotherton are top class. Also, Kevin Kilbane is a great co-commentator and Keown and Murphy are very good as well.

The only co-commentator I like on RTE is Jim Beglin. Also, apart from Hamilton, all of RTE's main comms have been awful with player recognition. Just smacks of amateurism and a lack of preparation.

And even if BBC TV's team aren't great, the 5 Live option via the red button is fantastic - their team really is outstanding.

I'm not bashing RTE for the sake of it. Some of their pundits are enjoyable but the commentary is very poor IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

The commentator for the Switzerland game on RTE said Xhaka played for Dortmund at one stage sure, probably couldn't be arsed saying Mönchengladbach

• Advertisement
Advertisement