Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 - as seen on TV (commentary, pundits, adverts, the whole shebang)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Having seen on twitter the reaction to Phil Nevlille on the BBC I reckon most people in England would have PAID to watch it on RTE! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Is Didi Hamann on anywhere? He really shows up the old brigade on RTE when he's on imo.
    Really knows his stuff and can get his point across, about one of the only ones I can listen to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

wonga77 wrote: »
    Is Didi Hamann on anywhere? He really shows up the old brigade on RTE when he's on imo.
    Really knows his stuff and can get his point across, about one of the only ones I can listen to

Blinky will be joining up with RTE at some point according to Bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I like listening to him but apparently his football tips in The Racing Post are terrible so have to wonder how much he does actually know!

I would imagine we will see him on RTE today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kfallon wrote: »
    I like listening to him but apparently his football tips in The Racing Post are terrible so have to wonder how much he does actually know!

I would imagine we will see him on RTE today!

He lost a fortune on betting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

mike65 wrote: »
    He lost a fortune on betting.

I know but I think a lot of that was on cricket! It's just hard to say he knows his stuff when his betting selections on football are constantly being turned over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

He's on tonight according to my TV listings for the 1st 2 games and Ossie is on for games 2 and 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Noel King on the panel, with Tony O Donoghue. Surprising given what happened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I hate Noel King, Get Dunphy on the panel to give him some stick.
    I say the big names be on for the Germany game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

What happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Noel King got shirty with Tony O'Donoghue's badgering questioning while he was interim Republic of Ireland manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Didi hamann just described Ronaldo as "calm as a cucumber"

Après match will love something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Viera saying Pirlo is the only Italian player who would be guranteed a place with England, You may go easy on the cocktails Pat.

Degag wrote: »
    What happened?

King also traded insults with Dunphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone feel that the TV feed coming from Brazil is poor at times ? I don't mean the actual reception just the way it is produced, for example-

-good few occasions after a foul has been committed the producer doesn't show a replay at all and instead we get to see players arguing with the ref
    -Wrong camera selection, just now we saw 3-4 seconds of a Mexican wave going round the stadium while the football was ongoing
    -also when they put up the team lime outs before kick off the font size used is so small I can barely read the players names in screen

Any others ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

Didi hamann just described Ronaldo as "calm as a cucumber"

Après match will love something like that.

Technically speaking (the best kind of speaking), it's apt. I don't when I last saw a really hyper cucumber.

Eamon Dunphy not giving the German's any credit. Hamann is a good fair pundit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

lads, can you listen to games on the radio?
    I am trying to listen on 5Live via Tune In but tehre are rights restrictions.
    Any Irish stations streaming?

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Viera saying Pirlo is the only Italian player who would be guranteed a place with England, You may go easy on the cocktails Pat.

I remember one time during the England/Germany friendly match on ITV. when one of the pro English pundits said Hart was better then Neur, Ballack and Lee Dixon burst their gut laughing. You really wish Keane stayed on board cause he would have put Viera straight.

English Pundits have been underplaying Italy's performance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Really missed Irwin's presence on the panel.

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Really missed Irwin's presence on the panel.

That is one of my favourite ever panel moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

bmcc10 wrote: »

He's trolling them surely...

efb wrote: »
    He's trolling them surely...

BBC pays his wages, he pays them compliments. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Over 400 complaints received by the BBC regarding Phil Neville's commentary. Always though he came across as a nice guy, but not the brightest. His commentary the other night reinforced that opinion in my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

great panel for Nigeria and Iran game. Kerr as co commentator, Described Nigeria as lacking "cuteness" in the african cup last year.

Go Iran ( I have them in the work sweep) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭scouser82

Stephen Alkin is a bit of a joke. He says that the only game so far in the World Cup that has had just 1 goal was Brazil Croatia.

Then he harps on about the Iranians being passionate fans, comments on the 3 million Iranians in USA and how they supported their team so strongly in USA 94.

Bit difficult to manage that when Iran were not in USA 94.

How much does this bloke get paid?

This must be the noisiest game so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Over 400 complaints received by the BBC regarding Phil Neville's commentary. Always though he came across as a nice guy, but not the brightest. His commentary the other night reinforced that opinion in my mind

Bit unfair IMO. He made some good points but that was lost in the monotone and robotic delivery. 400 complaints is outrageous - do people really have nothing better to do with their time ?

Credit where it's due, Kerr really knows his stuff, as do Didi and Ozzy. I could listen to Didi talk about soccer all day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

SarahBM wrote: »
    Credit where it's due, Kerr really knows his stuff, as do Didi and Ozzy. I could listen to Didi talk about soccer all day!

Didi just seems like such an honest amiable guy who knows what he's taking about. He's always a great addition to the panel.

• Advertisement

Didi sums up that game very succinctly, "Lack of Quality"! - brilliant!

Linekar "A real lack of quality on show"...addressed to Neil Lennon :pac:

Ozzy says if Argentina lose to Iran he is going home LOL

Safe threat, unlike Eamos forthcoming dress outrage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭HaveASnickers

Kenny Cunningham is my favourite pundit on RTE.

I find Sadlier good but he's very slow to spit out words and always looking at the ceiling.

Gas Apres Match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Gas Apres Match.

I really don't get the appeal of this.. just watched it there and didn't even smirk

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Apres Match was brilliant!

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I really don't get the appeal of this.. just watched it there and didn't even smirk

Do you watch Sky Sports News?

If you do then you should find that funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Do you watch Sky Sports News?

If you do then you should find that funny!

OK.. replayed it - The tag line at the end was good and the blonde was nice!

Does that count? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

BBC panel talking about social media/football players using it then Gary asked what the panel think of it...

Phil Neville "I loved it until about 24 hours ago". :pac:

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    OK.. replayed it - The tag line at the end was good and the blonde was nice!

Does that count? :P

I guess its not everyone's kind of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Stephen Alkin isn't too bad although I can't comprehend how Peter Collins got some of the commentary duties, should stick to the main anchor job I'd reckon!

Darragh has a little handkerchief in his breast pocket. Just like Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

I thought Brad Friedel was meant to be on the RTE panel this year? He's not on for the ghana-USA match :(. Was looking forward to him. Also Neil Lennon certainly isn't on the panel like they said he'd be, he's off in Brazil with the BBC!

ya but we have Ozzy and Didi!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Savio11

uggybear wrote: »
    Stephen Alkin isn't too bad although I can't comprehend how Peter Collins got some of the commentary duties, should stick to the main anchor job I'd reckon!

I Agree i like him, Loved Peter Collins when doin F1, but he's not great at football, talking to much given Trevor Steven little time to talk over a replay, They should swap Darragh with Collins, Liked Darragh when he was commentating on WC 2006, BUt I'd take them anyday over ITV.s Matterface and Clarke Carlise, god only knows why they got rid of Beglin

USA players not singing their national anthem. I dont get it. surely they all learnt it in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Klinsmann singing the Stars and the Stripes - must be getting plenty of greenbacks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

USA players not singing their national anthem. I dont get it. surely they all learnt it in school.

Even i nearly know there national anthem at this stage :confused:

Advertisement