Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SD Card Data Recovery in Dublin?

• 07-06-2014 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm in the unfortunate position of having a wedding-filled SD card that gives the following error message on my Canon 6D:
    Card cannot be accessed. Reinsert/change the card or format card with camera

Gutted. :(

My other cards are working perfectly. The camera is fine.
    The card is not mounting on any computer. I suspect a hardware failure.

Can anyone recommend a good data recovery service here in Dublin?
    I googled it and there seems to be a ton of people out there doing data recovery.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Have you tried all the usual data recovery software found online? I suppose you have. I use "Recuva" and find it excellent.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Are you using a card reader or the camera plugged into your PC via USB? Had similar issue recently where a coworkers SD card wouldn't read in a number of PCs. Oddly it worked in my Mac's built-in card reader and all the files were recovered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately it's not mounting in any Apple or Windows machine. Tried some software options to no avail.

Does it appear in Disk Utility in OS X when you plug it in?
    Also try cleaning the card's contacts with a cotton bud.

It's not appearing in Disk Utility. I cleaned the contacts, nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I had this problem last year, the manufacturer had their own recovery service in addition to the warranty, but I didn't use it (can't remember the fee, sorry). What brand card is it?

It's a SanDisk Ultra 16gb Class 10.

The SanDisk site suggests these guys.
    http://datarecovery.lc-tech.com/sandisk-recovery-pricing.html

I'll shop around but if I have to post to Florida, so be it. :(

Went to these guys in D15
    http://www.criticaldata.ie

Will report back.

Good luck!

condra wrote: »
    Went to these guys in D15
    http://www.criticaldata.ie

Will report back.

Did you get an estimate/quote?

Just curious. Can't find the estimate I got from Integral.

• Advertisement

The guys in CDS, Blanch weren't able to do it.
    Apparently the data is OK, as it is a "controller failure", but unfortunately, SanDisk are now making "monolithic" cards where the controller and NAND memory are physically integrated, making data recovery extremely difficult :(

Was in touch with these guys in Nottingham UK who are confident.
    http://datarecovery.lc-tech.co.uk/index.html
    approx 200 euro if recovery is successful. I can live with that.

They should have the card by Tuesday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

IF the camera can see the card, format the card in the camera(Don't worry, data won't be lost), then run a good recovery program like PhotoRescue from DataRescue - this worked for a colleague last week when lots of other programs failed.
    PhotoRescue is free to download and try - but you have to pay $29 to save the images - nothing if it doesn't work. You then own the program.
    DO NOT attempt to use the card or save any data to it after formatting or you will overwrite existing files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

let us know how it goes ... good luck !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

Pretty sure there's some places in the U.K. that could do it. Not sure who, sorry. A friends RAID system went down and he lost 4- 6 weddings he had backed up, including Album layouts, PSD's etc. They managed to get it all back, but it wasn't cheap.

Just an update. The guys in UK, like the lads in Dublin 15, were able to get a data dump, but don't "yet" have the technology/knowhow to turn it into useable data.

From the way they talk about it, and the previous people, I get the impression the biggest problem is that it is a new card, and they are basically waiting for information to circulate about how to reverse engineer the data.

condra wrote: »
    Just an update. The guys in UK, like the lads in Dublin 15, were able to get a data dump, but don't "yet" have the technology/knowhow to turn it into useable data.

From the way they talk about it, and the previous people, I get the impression the biggest problem is that it is a new card, and they are basically waiting for information to circulate about how to reverse engineer the data.

At least you have your 1's and 0's back... :rolleyes:

True that :)
    Cant believe how cool the groom has been about the whole thing too.

PHEWW!

Advertisement