Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looks like Revenue are in a spot of bother

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

What are you talking about ? There is no evidence whatsoever that Ireland has broken any EU Tax Regulations.
    This is all a big blowhard attempt to intimidate Ireland into agreeing to raise our taxes to match those in Germany and France.
    Kenny has dug in his heels and said no way. Rightly.

We are a small island on the periphery of Europe, no big oil or natural resources to extract and unfortunately we arent a small country with a massive ppulation in the centre of europe like France or Germany with all the benefits it brings, like having had the population and demand for massive industries back in the 1700,1800 and 1900's, huge amounts of whom are household names today. The corporation tax is critical to us, its one thing they can go whistle for and Id make no apologies for it... They have taken us for all they can, enough is enough. They will never get the corporation tax anyway, no government would ever give it up, they would probably be more likely to give a naive blanket bank guarantee again than interfere with corporation tax...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Idbatterim wrote: »
    They have taken us for all they can, enough is enough.

I was cheering you on until I got to this bizarre bit ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Hootanany wrote: »
    But we are emigrating in droves.

In 2014, if you are skilled in IT, and emigrating, then you're an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

This whole corporation tax business is f*cking ridiculous. If other countries for one reason or another can't compete with Ireland, tough sh!t - there are plenty of strings countries like Germany pull with regard to the ECB which Irish people would love to do something about but we can't. This is something we have control over which they don't, so unless they want to compromise on bank debt and bondholders, they can f*ck right off.

And with that in mind, the Government should now finally grow a pair and announce a reduction in CT to 8%.

And with that in mind, the Government should now finally grow a pair and announce a reduction in CT to 8%.

Baffling logic.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »

2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

syklops wrote: »

LOL - what if you're emigrating because you can get an IT job abroad that pays 250% higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Back on topic this story is really starting to take off, 2nd on the BBC website now, more than likely be close to the top of the BBC news tonight:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-27788238

The key line being:

"The Irish arrangement allowed Apple to pay just 1.9% tax on its $37bn in overseas profits in 2012, despite the fact the average tax rate in the OECD countries that make up its main markets was 24% last year"

As I said absolutely taking the p**s. About time these shady tax practices were brought to light and closed off.

Back on topic this story is really starting to take off, 2nd on the BBC website now, more than likely be close to the top of the BBC news tonight:

The key line being:

"The Irish arrangement allowed Apple to pay just 1.9% tax on its $37bn in overseas profits in 2012, despite the fact the average tax rate in the OECD countries that make up its main markets was 24% last year"

As I said absolutely taking the p**s. About time these shady tax practices were brought to light and closed off.

Media speculation. Convenient anti EU and anti Irish BBC crapology.

The proof is in the eating, so I'll wait for the people who actually examine what the reality on the grind is before I engage my 'outrage' gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Piliger wrote: »
    Media speculation. Convenient anti EU and anti Irish BBC crapology.

Same line of defense used by Sepp Blatter.

• Advertisement

Same line of defense used by Sepp Blatter.
    And the Birmingham Six ... so ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

The key line being:

Why, exactly are you outraged?

And the Birmingham Six ... so ?

So, err, it's bollocks.

The eu investigates three European countries tax arrangements and because you don't like it you cry racist. It's nothing of the sort, it's part of a consolidated effort by a number of countries to close tax loop holes. It's not, in any way, shape or form, the BBC being anti eu or anti Irish.

So, err, it's bollocks.

The eu investigates three European countries tax arrangements and because you don't like it you cry racist. It's nothing of the sort, it's part of a consolidated effort by a number of countries to close tax loop holes. It's not, in any way, shape or form, the BBC being anti eu or anti Irish.

Where did I "cry racism" ??

And it is anti EU and anti Irish BBC crapology.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The key line being:

Nothing shady about it. There's nothing to close off.

And the story isn't really "taking off".

The average tax rate is irrelevant. In Ireland we have low corporation tax as it's all we have to attract business and investment. Of course we're way below average - if we were average we'd be screwed!

The EU don't like Ireland using tax incentives to attract major investment. For some really baffling reason some people in Ireland seem to be against major international investment too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

awec wrote: »

The average tax rate is irrelevant. In Ireland we have low corporation tax as it's all we have to attract business and investment. Of course we're way below average - if we were average we'd be screwed!

The EU don't like Ireland using tax incentives to attract major investment. For some really baffling reason some people in Ireland seem to be against major international investment too.

What about Irish companies owning patents that can be used to avail of massive tax write-offs ?

Metaphorically, you just did again.

What about Irish companies owning patents that can be used to avail of massive tax write-offs ?

What's shady about that? It's pretty well publicised and is yet another incentive for attracting business here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I assume the posters in this thread against the tax incentives for Multinationals in Ireland are not actually from Ireland?

Because I cannot comprehend why an Irish person would want to get rid of these. People from other countries being against it makes sense, as it gives Ireland an advantage...but I do not understand why any Irish person would be against these incentives.

Any Irish people look to get rid of these incentives and increase CT is basically hoping one of the main drivers of the Irish economy collapses.

I don't get it.

In a lot of cases though, it isn't massive investment, it is paper companies with few or no employees. It makes GDP look good, but doesn't do that much for the overall economy.

If these arrangements were closed and the companies forced to pay the actual tax rate, Ireland would still be a beneficial place for them, because it has a low tax rate. The trick is to make sure all these loopholes are closed at the same time so there is nowhere for these companies to go.

• Advertisement

In a lot of cases though, it isn't massive investment, it is paper companies with few or no employees. It makes GDP look good, but doesn't do that much for the overall economy.

If these arrangements were closed and the companies forced to pay the actual tax rate, Ireland would still be a beneficial place for them, because it has a low tax rate. The trick is to make sure all these loopholes are closed at the same time so there is nowhere for these companies to go.

If you kill off the incentives then obviously costs go up.

Where do you think the subsequent savings would come from?

Do you think killing the incentives is going to have a prolonged benefit to Revenue's bottom line?

What's shady about that? It's pretty well publicised and is yet another incentive for attracting business here.

Yeah odd that said R&D is done in another country, Then the patent passed to the one here to avail of R&D tax breaks... Is the R&D not supposed to be done here.

It was the US senate outrage started the whole ball rolling; anti-Irish their as well I suppose?

Yeah odd that said R&D is done in another country, Then the patent passed to the one here to avail of R&D tax breaks... Is the R&D not supposed to be done here.

No, the work that leads to the patent needs to be done in the european economic area in order to qualify for the tax incentives on the income of that patent.

If you want to claim R+D incentives then the work needs to be done in Ireland.

No, the work that leads to the patent needs to be done in the european economic area in order to qualify for the tax incentives on the income of that patent.

If you want to claim R+D incentives then the work needs to be done in Ireland.

That's not what is happening though, One brass plate here holds a lot of one companies patents using this.

That's not what is happening though, One brass plate here holds a lot of one companies patents using this.

Using what?

Using what?

The tax breaks on R&D

If you kill off the incentives then obviously costs go up.

Where do you think the subsequent savings would come from?

Do you think killing the incentives is going to have a prolonged benefit to Revenue's bottom line?

Ireland is in a catch 22 situation. It needs these companies to be paying more tax, but also needs these companies more than they need Ireland.

If the bigger countries, or better still the eu, tackles this, Ireland should do very nicely out of it. It can claim more tax whilst effectively holding its hands in the air and claiming it's not our fault. If the eu does it in such a way as to bring competition down to the basic tax rate, Ireland should be quids in.

It was the US senate outrage started the whole ball rolling; anti-Irish their as well I suppose?

Why do you suppose that ? Other than just trying to belittle other people's opinion ?

• Advertisement

Why do you suppose that ? Other than just trying to belittle other people's opinion ?

Not in the least, just individuals taking the tone its the EU picking on poor olde Ireland; instead what we have is corporations exploiting globalization, the free trade blocks, relative free movement of capital and playing countries off against each other all in order to pay a miniscule amount of tax on exorbitant profits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I thought the last Budget changed that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    I thought the last Budget changed that.

Well they did close down some loopholes to do with subsidiaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Not in the least, just individuals taking the tone its the EU picking on poor olde Ireland; instead what we have is corporations exploiting globalization, the free trade blocks, relative free movement of capital and playing countries off against each other all in order to pay a miniscule amount of tax on exorbitant profits.
    All mankind is divided into three classes: those who are immovable, those who are movable, and those who move. - Benjamin Franklin

Corporations pay low tax because we want to attract them to Ireland and give them a reason to stay. The average person pays more tax because the average person won't move if taxes are high.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    All mankind is divided into three classes: those who are immovable, those who are movable, and those who move. - Benjamin Franklin

Corporations pay low tax because we want to attract them to Ireland and give them a reason to stay. The average person pays more tax because the average person won't move if taxes are high.

That's a fair point.

Another point of view on the issue:

http://americanprogress.org/issues/tax-reform/report/2014/01/09/81681/offshore-corporate-profits-the-only-thing-trapped-is-tax-revenue/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 BarryLyndon

Disclaimer: i am not talking about the CT % rate but the obvious shenanigans that are being employed by certain entities to have effective rates of 2-3%.

I think if Irish politicians keep their eye on the long game, they will play dumb but be seen to take this seriously and comply with the EU and their investigations. Within the larger economies, there is increasing political pressure to curb global tax avoidance (though it's still on the fringes to an extent, certainly in the likes of the UK). Citizens within other EU states are well within their rights to lobby their governments on this issue and ask why global firms find it so easy to manipulate the rules to their advantage. To most right-minded people, the chicanery is obvious.

It's not something that Ireland should be apologetic about but despite the fact that it is currently a distinct comparative advantage, I think you have to anticipate that this will not be the case for much longer. It's not a matter of relenting to the EU overloads so much as sticking your finger in the air, and realising that this is not a sensible long-term strategy.

• Advertisement

America is different to Ireland though, large MNCs won't realistically pull out of America but they could pull out of Ireland.

Disclaimer: i am not talking about the CT % rate but the obvious shenanigans that are being employed by certain entities to have effective rates of 2-3%.

I think if Irish politicians keep their eye on the long game, they will play dumb but be seen to take this seriously and comply with the EU and their investigations. Within the larger economies, there is increasing political pressure to curb global tax avoidance (though it's still on the fringes to an extent, certainly in the likes of the UK). Citizens within other EU states are well within their rights to lobby their governments on this issue and ask why global firms find it so easy to manipulate the rules to their advantage. To most right-minded people, the chicanery is obvious.

It's not something that Ireland should be apologetic about but despite the fact that it is currently a distinct comparative advantage, I think you have to anticipate that this will not be the case for much longer. It's not a matter of relenting to the EU overloads so much as sticking your finger in the air, and realising that this is not a sensible long-term strategy.
    I don't see any reason why Ireland has to relent on anything. There is no legal mechanism in which the EU can force our compliance on new rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 BarryLyndon

If only politicians could take your principled stand (we'd be in quite a state lol)....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

It's about time these companies pay up, or the fook out. Spongers.

Where'll they all go ? :rolleyes:

Baffles me how many fall into the 'they'all leave trap'

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭JD Dublin

Hootanany wrote: »
    But if we even getting 12.5% but we are not false accounting
    The effective rate in France for small businesses is about 7% - lower than our 12.5% rate. You never hear that from anyone though. At least we have a transparent system where everyone gets the same rate. Theoretically anyway.

Anyway for all the people worried that Apple etc might leave Ireland - the 12.5% is not enough to keep them here. They could just run a brass-plate operation for that, like lots of the banks in the IFSC, and run their profits through Ireland that way. They are here for other reasons, like the English-speaking, well-educated workforce with ready access to the European market.

• Advertisement

Rightwing wrote: »

You're not very right wing..

You're not very right wing..

Indeed not.

I think corporations should pay tax, and plenty of it, and bondholders aren't all that bad.

Oh yeah, and Europe saved us, contrary to what we're told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Why do you think they are here in the first place?

For the weather?

Valetta wrote: »
    Why do you think they are here in the first place?

For the weather?

A few facts, they have to go somewhere, and the moon is a non runner. If Enda or Martin tell us it is, trust me, it isn't. ;)

Secondly, they will need a presence in Europe, and access to the world's biggest market. We have to play by the EU rules. Speaking English and supplying an educated workforce is enough.

Many Irish companies employ tens of thousands of workers in America and pay well over 20% corporation tax, the question remains, why aren't they all leaving?

If only politicians could take your principled stand (we'd be in quite a state lol)....
    what? :confused:

A few facts, they have to go somewhere, and the moon is a non runner. If Enda or Martin tell us it is, trust me, it isn't. ;)

Secondly, they will need a presence in Europe, and access to the world's biggest market. We have to play by the EU rules. Speaking English and supplying an educated workforce is enough.

Many Irish companies employ tens of thousands of workers in America and pay well over 20% corporation tax, the question remains, why aren't they all leaving?
    Most countries in Europe have significant English speaking populations. In Scandinavia, the Germanies and the Lowcountries it's hard to find a college graduate who doesn't speak English.

Because America is a massive country more likeable to Europe than Ireland. Imagine instead America was 50 separate countries each with it's own corporations tax within a pan-American free trade block and corporations had to decide what state to set up in. All else being equal they will set up in the country with the lowest corp tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Tokarev

Pay your proper tax like every other tax payer in Ireland.

Most countries in Europe have significant English speaking populations. In Scandinavia, the Germanies and the Lowcountries it's hard to find a college graduate who doesn't speak English.

Because America is a massive country more likeable to Europe than Ireland. Imagine instead America was 50 separate countries each with it's own corporations tax within a pan-American free trade block and corporations had to decide what state to set up in. All else being equal they will set up in the country with the lowest corp tax.

Correct, that's why we need a standardised tax rate across the union. It will happen, there should be no doubt about that. This is not an assault on Ireland. Countries need the revenue and there's only so much they can take from the citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Elektronske

Exactly. And Kenny has held the line under intense pressure all through this government. Bloody great job.

Servile Enda kenny couldn't hold his mickey, he'd lick the germans and yanks holes clean for them if his handlers gave him half a chance.

Correct, that's why we need a standardised tax rate across the union. It will happen, there should be no doubt about that. This is not an assault on Ireland. Countries need the revenue and there's only so much they can take from the citizens.
    How will it happen? There is no mechanism in which the EU can compel Ireland to change it's corp tax policy and it's not in our interests to comply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement