Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2014 LC French - all levels - discussion, predictions, practice your French **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Pour une petite rédaction sportive, dirait-on que la phrase suivante (pour conclure), est un peu.. stupide : «Si on n'abreuve pas des fleurs, elles se flétriront. Si on ne pratique aucun sport, on s'y ressemblera» ?

Je suis sûr que j'ai fait des erreurs !

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

linguist wrote: »
    I have just spent fifteen minutes searching for the rule on posting in French. I think it's only reasonable to ask that a link be posted. I simply wouldn't have the time to translate what I think are my helpful observations into English every time.

Is there a similar ban on our first national language?
    What Canard said.

There are actually good reasons for the general rule, but we all feel we can apply a bit of flexibility in this type of situation.
    robman60 wrote: »
    Je deteste les mods! Ils sont stupides! Nous sommes sophistiqués avec un haut niveau de francais. :p
    I see you!! :p:D

(and yes, I know you're taking the p**s! :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

What Canard said.

There are actually good reasons for the general rule, but we all feel we can apply a bit of flexibility in this type of situation.

I see you!! :p:D

(and yes, I know you're taking the p**s! :p)

Is this thread against the rules? :pac:
    Wouldn't have started it if I was aware of such a rule.

Really I think next year's 6th years should continue to use this thread/make their own thread as it would prove to be beneficial imo :)

Aspiring wrote: »
    Is this thread against the rules? :pac:
    Nah, it's fine. As we said, there are good reasons for the general Boards-wide rules, but we can be flexible when warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Ok, now let's get back to it. Flexibility from this end too - some of my posts were bilingual, some weren't.

Guys, I'm getting the feeling very few have covered the gay marriage issue - or as it's actually called in France le mariage pour tous. It's been a huge issue because, very unexpectedly, a massive protest movement took to the streets mobilised by various right wing parties in France. That movement was called la manif pour tous: the demonstration for everyone.

Now, in Ireland, this has also been one of the issues of the year since the Government is committed to holding a referendum on it and then, of course, there was the Pantigate affair which I'll not elaborate on too much lest the mods really think I'm out to cause trouble.

I'm not convinced that a narrow question on gay marriage will appear. But I do think a broader one on the family might - the changing face of the family, gender roles, equality as one other poster said. It actually worries me that the single biggest social issue of recent years in France seems not to have been covered even though the main headings involved are on the syllabus. Is it because teachers in faith schools are afraid to touch it? If so, they might be sorry at 1200 on Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

Ok, now let's get back to it. Flexibility from this end too - some of my posts were bilingual, some weren't.

Guys, I'm getting the feeling very few have covered the gay marriage issue - or as it's actually called in France le mariage pour tous. It's been a huge issue because, very unexpectedly, a massive protest movement took to the streets mobilised by various right wing parties in France. That movement was called la manif pour tous: the demonstration for everyone.

Now, in Ireland, this has also been one of the issues of the year since the Government is committed to holding a referendum on it and then, of course, there was the Pantigate affair which I'll not elaborate on too much lest the mods really think I'm out to cause trouble.

I'm not convinced that a narrow question on gay marriage will appear. But I do think a broader one on the family might - the changing face of the family, gender roles, equality as one other poster said. It actually worries me that the single biggest social issue of recent years in France seems not to have been covered even though the main headings involved are on the syllabus. Is it because teachers in faith schools are afraid to touch it? If so, they might be sorry at 1200 on Wednesday.

We did nothing about it in our school anyway, our teacher didn't even mention anything about it. You wouldnt happen to know any sites online or anything with vocab for it would you?

Some of the key terms are:

le mariage pour tous = official name given by the French govt. to the new law allowing same sex couples to marry.
    le mariage homosexuel/gay = what it is more likely to be called in everyday conversation
    le pacs = civil partnership - open to both same sex and heterosexual couples desiring legal recognition short of marriage
    la famille recomposée - non nuclear family units made up of parents and children from different relationships

Searching using any of these terms will lead you to articles and further vocabulary. Please be aware that the websites you find may not be neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LaurenC7

I barely got a D2 in the pres and my french is shockingly bad. I hate languages so Irish and French are very worrying. Im in Higher french and for points Id like to get at least a C2 but Its not very likely.. What do you even study like?!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

We never touched on marriage or gay marriage at all either!!

We did do equality between men and women though so hopefully i can adapt some of that vocab..

Yes obviously. You can always adapt what you've prepared and remember that the question is itself stimulus material with vocabulary that you can use as you build your answer. Remember, you are always supposed to make use of the question material - you just can't earn marks for transcribing it directly!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Quick question. For question 6 of the comprehensions do we need to quote from the text? I usually don't...

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Ok, thought I'd have a crack off the equality one, thoughts?

Je crois que l'égalité dans la maison et la position de la famille sont le plus important problèmes de notre société moderne. Pour longtemps, beaucoup ont étaient oppressés par ceux qui profiteraient de ceux, et les autres ont étaient refusés leurs droits d'amour et de mariage. Il y a encore des gens qui suffisent le discrimination parce que leurs idéologies et leurs modes-de-vies.
    Tout d'abord, le rôle de la femme n'est plus dans le chez. De nos jour, il y a beaucoup de femmes succèdes dans le monde entrepreneurial qui ont lutté dur pour leurs positions. Cependant, les femmes ne devinent souvent les CEOs car il lui y a de préjudice contre – 60% de femmes gagner moins de leurs collègues.
    Puis, c'est le question de les droits homosexuel. En Irlande et beaucoup d'autres pays les couples homosexuels ne marient pas comme les autres couples; donc, ils n'ont pas des droits égales. Ils ne peuvent pas adopte les enfants et ils sont souvent ignorés.
    En conclure, c'est un situation malheureux; néanmoins, je suis satisfait que le gouvernement est faire le progrès pour résoudre le question.

I believe that household equality and the position of the family are the most important issues of our modern society. For too long, many have remained oppressed by those who would profit from them, and others have been denied their rights to love and marriage. Even today there are people who suffer discrimination because of their beliefs or lifestyles.
    First of all, the role of the woman is no longer in the home. In today's world there are many successful women who have fought hard to earn their position. However, women rarely become CEO's because there is prejudice against them – 60% of women earn less than their male co-workers.
    Then there is the issue of gay rights. In Ireland and many other countries gay couples do not marry like other couples and so do not have the same rights. They cannot adopt children (I don't know if this is still true, but it must be the case somewhere) and they are often ignored.
    In conclusion, it's a despicable situation; however, progress has been made and I am satisfied that the government is doing something to resolve the issue.

Waft :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saxo

The only french you'll ever need to know - va te faire foutre :p

Be nice! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Saxo wrote: »
    The only french you'll ever need to know - va te faire foutre :p

I remember one night I came across some French lads: Jacques, Ali, some third name and a few nameless ones. I was like "Ah, La France est le meilleur pays du monde !", and they were delighted. Then I started going "Nique tous les autres pays !" and they were like "ah non".

Great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Some of the key terms are:

le mariage pour tous = official name given by the French govt. to the new law allowing same sex couples to marry.
    le mariage homosexuel/gay = what it is more likely to be called in everyday conversation
    le pacs = civil partnership - open to both same sex and heterosexual couples desiring legal recognition short of marriage
    la famille recomposée - non nuclear family units made up of parents and children from different relationships

Searching using any of these terms will lead you to articles and further vocabulary. Please be aware that the websites you find may not be neutral.
    Merci pour la vocabulaire. C'est intéressant que la meme question existe en France et en Irlande en ce moment.
    thanks for vocab. interesting that same issue exists in Ireland and France

Je suis d'accord avec linguist. La nouvelle regle a detruit cette discussion a mon avis. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

robman60 wrote: »
    Merci pour la vocabulaire. C'est intéressant que la meme question existe en France et en Irlande en ce moment.
    thanks for vocab. interesting that same issue exists in Ireland and France

Je suis d'accord avec linguist. La nouvelle regle a detruit cette discussion a mon avis. :(
    Nous avons dit qu'il ne faut pas traduire tout ce qu'on dit si on ne veut pas!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saxo

I remember one night I came across some French lads: Jacques, Ali, some third name and a few nameless ones. I was like "Ah, La France est le meilleur pays du monde !", and they were delighted. Then I started going "Nique tous les autres pays !" and they were like "ah non".

Great bunch of lads.

Last time I seen some french guys they were being beaten by the locals but c'est la vie :P J'ai oublie plupart de mons francais et jai un exam a mercredi :O
    Be nice! :p

Je suis desole :P

Il n'ya pas de place pour a te faire foutre jusqu'a ce que apres le bac!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

LoveLamps wrote: »
    Il n'ya pas de place pour a te faire foutre jusqu'a ce que apres le bac!

Oú trouvez-vous ces mots :eek: je suis horrifé! Ils ne t'aideront pas pendant l'examen, j'espére.

• Advertisement

L'examen est pres. Nerveux? Je suis plus confiant maintenant. Mais, peut-etre autre histore le matin de cet examen..

Can some one please clear this up for me - does question 1a have to be written in a certain tense? And if so what tense?

Also anyone, liguist/Canard perhaps, have any last-minute tips gor listening comps? What kinda vocab to revise?

I feel like im at such a disadvantage to most people in my class for not getting grinds for ages :/

There is no way of knowing for sure about Q 1(a). Most years it is a récit (like a story) so yes it would require correct and sustained use of the passé composé and the imparfait. That is one of the key reasons why people do so badly on it.

Q 1(b) is usually a more straight opinion question so the dominant tense will be present. However, occasionally the récit doesn't appear. Indeed, after last year when it was an absolute disaster zone, there could be a strong argument for two opinion pieces on Q1. The récit was introduced to encourage students to master different styles of writing. I think it's fair to say that has proved overambitious.

As regards the listening, it's difficult to say because anything from the syllabus could come up. But as regards Section V, definitely go back over vocab for accidents and incidents, deaths and injuries and numbers.

2 opinion pieces, now that would be nice!
    Yeah ill definitely be doing the opinion piece option am i rright in saying the only difference between that and question 3/4 is that i should make it more personal?

LoveLamps wrote: »
    2 opinion pieces, now that would be nice!
    Yeah ill definitely be doing the opinion piece option am i rright in saying the only difference between that and question 3/4 is that i should make it more personal?

I think that we should be aiming to introduce our personal opinion as much as possible in every piece although I'm open to correction.

@lovelamps: Yes, I suppose you're right. But it all depends on the wording of the questions. Probably very accurate of you to say that Q1 elicits a more personal response. But I wouldn't be sitting there sweating as to whether you've been too personal on Q1 and to impersonal on the others. Just answer the question. If you saw what the average standard of written work is actually like, you wouldn't worry too much!!

Yes, I suppose you're right. But it all depends on the wording of the questions. Probably very accurate of you to say that Q1 elicits a more personal response. But I wouldn't be sitting there sweating as to whether you've been too personal on Q1 and to impersonal on the others. Just answer the question. If you saw what the average standard of written work is actually like, you wouldn't worry too much!!
    It's cruel to say but this is very true, the general standard seems to be pretty horrific. Lots of people in my class got less than 20/100 and some of the things I say were really terrible ("je me enjoyé" being the worst). I find it helpful to highlight a few words in the question to ensure you stay on topic, it's easy to go off the point, particularly in the stressful situation in which we'll be!

That's why I really think that people in the middle ground (D1-B3) would be best looking over reading comprehension and doing a listening tonight because that's where they will earn their marks and that's where - after a week of focusing on other subjects - they may have lost sight of what's required.

I get the impression most people in this discussing are aiming higher though!

A C would do me!!!! Got 54% in the mocks - my writtn was bad, got 11 on two opinion pieces, didnt do a diary, big mistake which i wont make this time!
    I feel i have improved in written and my oral went great but i feel at a loss with reading & listening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

Don't worry about being over personal, time would be better spent analysing the question. Are they looking for your opinion, do they want suggestions of solutions... etc.

In terms of the aural go back through the scripts and highlight the key vocab from the past few years and keep reading over it. DM me your email if you need a copy of the scripts. I give my students the scripts and key vocab from the previous 10 years.

Go through the question words for comprehensions and then scan the comprehensions and mark key vocab if your teacher hasn't given you the vocab already. Learn the grammar elements (participe passé, participe présent, futur, passé composé etc.) and be able to identify them.

For the written I'd recommend doing the diary so perfect an opening and closing. Then revise key topics by brainstorming key vocab. Once you have a wide range of vocab learn opening and closing phrases as well as link words. Do NOT learn essays off, learn adaptable phrases.

At this point it's all about vocab... 50% of what you do tomorrow will rely on how good your vocab is.

Bonne Chance!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement