Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2014 LC French - all levels - discussion, predictions, practice your French **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

ave123 wrote: »
    does anyone know od an internet site that will let you listen to past aural tracks...i've tried sec but they dont seem to be on there..

https://soundcloud.com/dude1971/1997-leaving-cert-french-aural

Ce mec a 2000 à 1997 :D Bonne chance !

De plus, 2001 et 2002 sont disponible ici : http://rosk.com/folens_online_content/LC_French.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saxo

Anyone do ordinary French? haven't a clue what to look over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Saxo wrote: »
    Anyone do ordinary French? haven't a clue what to look over!

Postcard phrases.. That's all you can do really.. I have to learn the days of the week in a bit :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saxo

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Postcard phrases.. That's all you can do really.. I have to learn the days of the week in a bit :rolleyes:

I'll have to go find my book now! I always get caught with the days, and I can't count for **** :P should be pretty easy though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Leahw1997

I desperately need a sports essay if anyone could send me one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ave123

https://soundcloud.com/dude1971/1997-leaving-cert-french-aural

Ce mec a 2000 à 1997 :D Bonne chance !

De plus, 2001 et 2002 sont disponible ici : http://rosk.com/folens_online_content/LC_French.htm

merci!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LC.student2014

Does anyone have any idea of what topics would be good to learn for the opinion pieces? I know literally nothing in french and have to cram now! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Hate to be admitting this, but am I the only one going in tomorrow without an essay prepared? I've always had a few generic sentences to whip out in any situation and then just get by on my own understanding of la langue francais.
    I'm not going in with any essays prepared either. It's detrimental to your grade if you just cough up whatever you've learned as you'll almost invariably go off topic. I have some generic phrases and I go off the cuff for the rest. Got 98/100 for the written in the mock doing it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

vraisemblablement

C'est un mot? Incroyable...

Pour le racisme (et les autres sujets), j'ai des phrases les plus génériques:

• Malheureusement, le problem de () se présente dans* tous les aspects de la société d'aujourd'hui.
    • Trop souvent, ceux qui ont tous de profiter de ceux qui n'ont rien.
    • La question ne pas se résoudre, nous devons donc faire notre mieux pour aider les victimes.
    • Le gouvernement refuse d'amender leurs politiques jusqu'à quelqu'un est tué/attaqué/qoui que.
    I can't vouch for the grammar quality but I ran them through google as I was going along so they should be fine...:o

Also not sure if that "dans" should be "en"

Last edit: I believe the correct term for African ethnicities is "les noirs" but I could be wrong on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭FHB

I've just got a question or two if anyone can help.

For the written piece, I assume you don't lose marks for writing over the recommended amount? I usually write twice the amount they recommend and my teacher(Who is also an examiner) never docked me marks for it. I just want to make sure.

Also, for the Q6 on the reading comprehensions, if they ask you if you agree or disagree with something, can you agree for one of the points and disagree for the other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 maigheo2014

Sport, smoking, alcohol, environment, obesity and healthy eating, recession, emigration, alcohol and the French language.. Anything else I should be taking into consideration?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Anyone else feel like they forgot all their french? I feel like I know nothing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LC.student2014

whats important to know for the listening? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

Okay for tomorrow, ive done nothing for the listening! Ill listen to the CD on the way to achool in the morning but id say thatll be it, hopefully itll be nice and easy like the irish one :D for opinion pieces, ive vocab prepared on alcohol, drugs, smoking, obesity, exercise, fashion and celebrities (kind of!), racism, happiness, the environment, the recession, the education system and social networking sites.. Has anybody any last minute advice on what else to learn? Really need an A in French but im not great at listening or normal comprehensions to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

FHB wrote: »
    I've just got a question or two if anyone can help.

For the written piece, I assume you don't lose marks for writing over the recommended amount? I usually write twice the amount they recommend and my teacher(Who is also an examiner) never docked me marks for it. I just want to make sure.

Also, for the Q6 on the reading comprehensions, if they ask you if you agree or disagree with something, can you agree for one of the points and disagree for the other?

No you don't lose marks for writing extra. However, if you're weak or struggle with the language you're advised to stick to the word count as you will make less mistakes. If you're going for a higher grade more is required!

Yes, you can agree and disagree once you can back it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 deadpixel

Feeling a bit nervous now, 87% in the pre but I haven't studied much since. Hope the topics are not too specific tomorrow, I'll chance my arm with mostly general phrases.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Fiske

It's a good job the word count requirements for opinion pieces are so short in French because my teacher sucks and we haven't done any (how you manage that I don't know, but she did somehow). My solution has been basically lifting chunks of articles about topics from French websites because I don't have a good book with that stuff...for the mocks I had no opinions or phrases prepared and still managed to bullsh*t my way to a C, so I hope I can make it a B tomorrow. At least the comps tend to be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭FHB

No you don't lose marks for writing extra. However, if you're weak or struggle with the language you're advised to stick to the word count as you will make less mistakes. If you're going for a higher grade more is required!

Yes, you can agree and disagree once you can back it up!

Merci beaucoup! J'apprécie l'aide. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭LmnadZ

Hey guys,should I have to worry about my exam tomorrow I am going from higher to ordinary on the day any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

At this stage, I'm merging the General French Discussion thread and the Practice Your French thread, as they have become pretty much indistinguishable! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

LmnadZ wrote: »
    Hey guys,should I have to worry about my exam tomorrow I am going from higher to ordinary on the day any thoughts?

Nah, pass should be really easy if you're coming from honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BauBau19

Anyone have anything prepared on World Cup and Nelson Mandela that would like to share ? :/

What could they even ask on the World Cup? Would it be just a regular sports thing like drugs or connecting people or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

There have been a lot of protests in Brazil against the World Cup. Many ordinary Brazilians feel they won't benefit. There could be a question on the cost of tickets to sporting events or whether you think it's right to hold it in a developing country or, as I've said elsewhere, it could be the excuse to put on an environmental question about deforestation for everyone who's been learning their greenhouse effect!!

linguist wrote: »
    There have been a lot of protests in Brazil against the World Cup. Many ordinary Brazilians feel they won't benefit. There could be a question on the cost of tickets to sporting events or whether you think it's right to hold it in a developing country or, as I've said elsewhere, it could be the excuse to put on an environmental question about deforestation for everyone who's been learning their greenhouse effect!!

Welp, this is going to take some site-scouring!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

LmnadZ wrote: »

You should find the aural easier, a lot of multiple choice. The comprehensions are significantly less challenging but you'll still need the basic JC vocab topics covered.

For the written there is a gapfill or form to complete, you'll have the time so I always say do both and you'll be marked on your best! You then chose one more question. If you have been doing HL to now you should be able to manage the diary. If you struggle wih this check out the postcard.

Do some OL specific revision now and you'll do great. Look up the papers online :)

Look, there is no point stressing at this stage. Every single candidate, regardless of their preparation, is going to have to improvise and adapt. It is a pity that quite a few teachers seem not to be engaged with the topical nature of the exam over recent years or even developments in France. To give a few examples:

2000: legacy of France's world cup win
    2006: World Cup in Germany - sport and friendship
    2007: 50 years of the Treaty of Rome - EU
    2013: The Gathering/The horsemeat scandal

To name a few...

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Est-ce qu'il se peut qu'on voie une question au sujet du débarquement (ou concernant la Deuxième Guerre Mondiale, ou la guerre en géneral? Peut être, à propos de la liberté et la démocratie ?

Juste une petite pensée !

I think the 100th anniversary of WW1 is the bigger one this year. It's not impossible - something nice and general. Nous leur devons notre liberté - etes-vous d'accord? Who knows?!:)

• Advertisement

linguist wrote: »
    2013: The Gathering/The horsemeat scandal

To name a few...

I noticed this, so I think tonight I'll just stick with Nelson Mandela/war and all the broad stuff like the environment, poverty and sport. If I managed a C with nothing to go on I should be able to have a good stab at whatever, at least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement