Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2014 LC French - all levels - discussion, predictions, practice your French **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

linguist wrote: »
    I think the 100th anniversary of WW1 is the bigger one this year. It's not impossible - something nice and general. Nous leur devons notre liberté - etes-vous d'accord? Who knows?!:)

Bon, j'y ai pensé en lisant les examens passés (par exemple à propos de l'UE). Serait-il une bonne idée de parler au menace que pose l'extrême droite et de telles choses ? Ou il vaudrait mieux de me concentrer sur mes propres sentiments ? Je me sens souvent plutôt... mensonge si je le fait.

Euh.. je ne sais pas quoi faire :pac: C'est la panique ! Mais blague à part, ai-je le droit de parler au n'importe quoi à cet égard ?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭LmnadZ

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Nah, pass should be really easy if you're coming from honours.
    You should find the aural easier, a lot of multiple choice. The comprehensions are significantly less challenging but you'll still need the basic JC vocab topics covered.

For the written there is a gapfill or form to complete, you'll have the time so I always say do both and you'll be marked on your best! You then chose one more question. If you have been doing HL to now you should be able to manage the diary. If you struggle wih this check out the postcard.

Do some OL specific revision now and you'll do great. Look up the papers online :)

That's some awesome advice thx guys,I get around 60% in the HL and I can't handle the pressure now.I am not counting French as one of my subjects anyways so yeah the OL paper looks pretty good I'll ace it I think:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Vraisemblablement
    Je l'aime, c'est magnifique!

Avez-vous d'autres adverbes utiles comme ca? J'utilise "personnellement" et "honnetement", mais je n'ai pas d'autres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

LmnadZ wrote: »
    That's some awesome advice thx guys,I get around 60% in the HL and I can't handle the pressure now.I am not counting French as one of my subjects anyways so yeah the OL paper looks pretty good I'll ace it I think:)

Keep in mind that only .1% got an A1 in it last year though, a B1/A2 should hbe completely manageable though.

To be honest I'd keep at HL if I was you seeing you get ~60%, but it's your choice of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

@AtomicKoala: Les élections ont eu lieu fin mai donc la victoire du FN aux élections européennes ne figurera pas, c'est sur. L'année derniere, le scandale de la viande de cheval était au mois de janvier, donc on peut conclure que l'examen est bouclé fin janvier/début février au plus tard. Il s'agira alors d'événements programmés pour l'année 2014 (Coupe du Monde etc) et des choses qui ont fait l'actualité a l'automne et éventuellement en hiver (mort de Mandela, la manif pour tous contre le mariage pour tous etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I'm a little tired right now and while my French is pretty fluent I'm not a graduate yet, but I thought I'd fix this up a little for the poster and anyone else using it:
    C'est un mot? Incroyable...

Pour le racisme (et les autres sujets), j'ai des phrases les plus génériques:

• Malheureusement, le problem problème de () se présente dans* tous les aspects de la société d'aujourd'hui.
    • Trop souvent, ceux qui ont tous de profiter de ceux qui n'ont rien. Trop souvent, ceux qui ont tout profitent de ceux qui n'ont rien
    • La question ne pas se résoudre, nous devons donc faire notre mieux pour aider les victimes. You didn't conjugate your verb! But I don't really understand the logic of this sentence in general. "La question n'a pas encore été résolue" would be fine for the first part but out of context I can't see a way to link the rest into it.
    • Le gouvernement refuse d'amender leurs politiques jusqu'à quelqu'un est tué/attaqué/qoui que. jusqu'à ce que quelqu'un soit attaqué, ou pire encore, tué.
    I can't vouch for the grammar quality but I ran them through google as I was going along so they should be fine...:o

Also not sure if that "dans" should be "en" (Dans is fine)

Last edit: I believe the correct term for African ethnicities is "les noirs" I think you mean pieds-noirs but I could be wrong on that.

Bonne chance à tous :)

robman: notamment, évidemment, particulierement mais aussi des adverbes ayant des terminaisons différentes: surtout, alors, enfin, souvent...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Fiske

Le mariage pour tous :D

Man, I hadn't even thought of that. That I might do just because.

@TheBegotten: One correction to Canard (with all due respect), les pieds noirs refers to white French people repatriated from Algeria when it became independent. So stick with les noirs!

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Keep in mind that only .1% got an A1 in it last year though, a B1/A2 should hbe completely manageable though.

To be honest I'd keep at HL if I was you seeing you get ~60%, but it's your choice of course.

Your'e absolutely right that if I get about 60% I should keep it but that's only out of luck my average for the most part is 50 percent.However I feel like I'm under a lot of pressure since I messed up my Maths paper 1.Anyways I don't really have any course that requires French really so it doesn't matter even if I just pass in this exam.At the end of the day even if I wanted to include French as one of my 6 i can't.

Also my 0ral went pretty bad

• Advertisement

Don't make a decision on French with respect to Maths or anything else. You don't know how you did because the marking scheme hasn't been devised yet. You have no way of predicting the distribution of marks even if you think/know you got certain final answers wrong.

Whatever you do, make a decision on French based on your performance in French!:)

LmnadZ wrote: »
    Your'e absolutely right that if I get about 60% I should keep it but that's only out of luck my average for the most part is 50 percent.However I feel like I'm under a lot of pressure since I messed up my Maths paper 1.Anyways I don't really have any course that requires French really so it doesn't matter even if I just pass in this exam.At the end of the day even if I wanted to include French as one of my 6 i can't.

Also my 0ral went pretty bad

Simply for the sake of making the exams a bit easier OL might be a good option so :)

Don't make a decision on French with respect to Maths or anything else. You don't know how you did because the marking scheme hasn't been devised yet. You have no way of predicting the distribution of marks even if you think/know you got certain final answers wrong.

Whatever you do, make a decision on French based on your performance in French!:)

I'd also agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allyb17

Ok so far I've covered:
    The recession and "le fait que nous et nos enfants devront payer les dettes du FMI"
    Social media - "les réseaux sociaux, la toile ou l'internet"
    Obesity et la Malbouffe
    L'alcoolisme et la biture express
    La toxicomanie
    Le stress du bac et le système des points and how we should introduce a continuous assesment and see how it works for JCs "on devrait introduire in système contrôle continu et avec optimise cette idée marcherait

Anyone have any other suggestions? I know a lot of things like about news may come up but they'd have printed this before protests in Brazil surely? I don't know. I got a B1 in exam craft mocks and I really want this A1 ,

@allyb17 It certainly sounds impressive. One thing: did your teacher suggest la malbouffe? I would advise against it. It is too informal for a Q1/Q3/Q4 opinion piece. It's basically slang and that would cost you a point or two on your communication mark (register). I recommend la nourriture malsaine (unhealthy food).

La malbouffe would be fine for the journal intime though where anything goes!!

@allyb17 It certainly sounds impressive. One thing: did your teacher suggest la malbouffe? I would advise against it. It is too informal for a Q1/Q3/Q4 opinion piece. It's basically slang and that would cost you a point or two on your communication mark (register). I recommend la nourriture malsaine (unhealthy food).

La malbouffe would be fine for the journal intime though where anything goes!!

What about la nourriture rapide et à emporter? Do you have any other topic suggestions by any chance?:)

Those are fine: les plats a emporter are takeaway meals.

We have been discussing a range of possibilities if you look back: la Coupe du Monde, l'environnement (maybe with a Brazilian twist - la déforestation), l'égalité entre les sexes, le mariage pour tous (mariage homosexuel).

You have covered a range of topics that are right on the syllabus and sound serious and well-prepared.

I agree,I haven't done major preps for French HL which means I won't do anything remarkable in French exam that I didn't do in any other exams.Also I'don't want to do the exam for the sake of doing HL which I used think before.Yeah the marking scheme hasn't been devised so I have a chance:D

Those are fine: les plats a emporter are takeaway meals.

We have been discussing a range of possibilities if you look back: la Coupe du Monde, l'environnement (maybe with a Brazilian twist - la déforestation), l'égalité entre les sexes, le mariage pour tous (mariage homosexuel).

You have covered a range of topics that are right on the syllabus and sound serious and well-prepared.

Yeah the environment sounds good, I can't help but think though, would the SEC not deem something like le mariage pour tous as controversial? Ireland being the country that it is, sometimes they might be afraid they'd offend people with different opinions or they may lead something, you know?

allyb17: Yes, I have thought that through. I think it could be quite a general question. At any rate, candidates can never be penalised for their opinions. Since homosexuality is not a crime and the Government of the land is moving towards putting the question to the people, I can't see how it would be that big a deal to ask it. But I also see where you're coming from. But there are ways of asking things without appearing to!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

allyb17 wrote: »
    Yeah the environment sounds good, I can't help but think though, would the SEC not deem something like le mariage pour tous as controversial?
    Well, the issue is in the news here at the moment too, though, and it's current in US and many places. While there are undoubtedly varying opinions on it, I doubt it would be considered so controversial that the SEC would deliberately avoid it tbh.

I have no familiarity with the French paper, just to be clear, but it does strike me, as pointed out earlier, that given the year that's in it and how affected France was by the "Great War", something related to that or commemorations or something like that could easily appear somewhere.

Indeed, I did spot a question on the Home Ec paper (like a lot of language teachers I have a look at what's making it through elsewhere) where candidates were asked to discuss the changing face of the family.

In comes randylonghorn with a fresh pair of eyes and sets me thinking: what if the literary comprehension text was on the theme of war and that led to a Q1(b) opinion piece on the subject? Wow - not impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rachell..

could somebody give me a few phrases on war and also drugs please

We don't know what you want to say...

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ave123

would anyone by any chance have any vocab or phrases on same sex marriage/ inequality etc.....we havent even gone near that topic in class...its a bit of a strange one.....if anyone has any ideas on what you would write for it i'd be greatful too:P

As I implied to Rachell, the first thing that matters is what you would say. If you'd like to come up with a few thoughts in the next few mins I can look at them. But let's be clear about this: I have no reason to believe this will appear other than the fact that it has been THE big social issue in France over the past year and it's been pretty big here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Merci pour les adverbes linguist!
    In comes randylonghorn with a fresh pair of eyes and sets me thinking: what if the literary comprehension text was on the theme of war and that led to a Q1(b) opinion piece on the subject? Wow - not impossible!

Damn, I've neglected that topic quite a bit. The first comprehension could very well be about the World Cup or the protests in Brazil you've mentioned earlier, which would hopefully lead to a nice question about sport!

Alors, il faut que j'aille. Je dois me coucher!

And I'm going to be heading too before too long. Rob and co, I've really enjoyed sharing this time with you. I hope it's been of some use to you. There's some real quality in here and I envy the examiner who gets to read the final product.

Ok, I really think I'll have to take my leave of you for the sake of my eyes and back! Needless to say, I've my own students to look after tomorrow but I'm sure I'll check in here later in the day to see your reaction and maybe post some answers but I can't promise it. Bon courage a tous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Ok, I really think I'll have to take my leave of you for the sake of my eyes and back! Needless to say, I've my own students to look after tomorrow but I'm sure I'll check in here later in the day to see your reaction and maybe post some answers but I can't promise it. Bon courage a tous.

Thanks for your input throughout the thread, I'v no doubt many people will do better than they would have had it not been for you :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement