Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2014 LC French - all levels - discussion, predictions, practice your French **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Daithi MacG

Are these grammar answers right?
    Feminie adjective -(sa) propre (caravane)
    Reflexive verb - s'enfuhir or something like that

Those are the two I picked anyway. Confident of s'enfuir or whatever it was, not 100% sure on propre but nearly...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭FHB

Yeah, I said (d) for the multiple choice question. The one about cars having trouble getting around. I don't think it was c, because it was Marco's dad who was talking in the text, and he said that his father played the trumpet I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Are these grammar answers right?
    Feminie adjective -(sa) propre (caravane)
    Reflexive verb - s'enfuhir or something like that

Yes, propre and s'enfuir were the correct answers. I'm presuming you didn't put in sa or caravane as each extraneous element costs you a mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allyb17

I said (c). I don't know if it was right though

It was D :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yulkmn

written wasn't bad, good topics to choose from.
    comprehensions were okey nothing special with some tough questions on both and that listening was awful :( I could barely hear it cause of an echo in the room, awful awful messed up on that hopping I pass which I should have I think!

• Advertisement

FHB wrote: »
    Yeah, I said (d) for the multiple choice question. The one about cars having trouble getting around. I don't think it was c, because it was Marco's dad who was talking in the text, and he said that his father played the trumpet I think.

I went with this too. It definitely wasn't the trumpet one because that was Marco's dad and it definitely wasn't (a) as that said they used to only go to one town per day. I wasn't completely sure but I said the traffic one as well as it said they had to stop the show to let cars pass or something.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I thought the reading comprehensions were nice. Listening was easy enough too. I thought the essay topics were poor but could have been worse.
    booblefoop wrote: »
    I said (b) because it was Marco's dad who played the trumpet, but I don't think b quite fit either. :/

I thought Marco was his wife's father and his own father played the trumpet?

Any way, I said b as well.

What was the second thing he liked to do in Connemara? Also what was the story of the play I couldn't catch it someone kept coughing and was asked to leave, and was it researching mushrooms or collecting? Because he's interested in food and I got the album dedicated to his kids

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I thought Marco was his wife's father and his own father played the trumpet?

Any way, I said b as well.

It was D, the cars would obstruct the performances

robman60 wrote: »
    -Produce an album aimed at kids
    -Go to a wood to pick mushrooms!

I only got the second one on the last play through and even then I just caught him say bois!

Verb in the second comprehension was s'enfuir I think.

I thought I heard "recherche champignons" so I said he was gonna research mushrooms lol. Apart from that I think I got everything else right. Was that one guy fed up of men-politicians not doing anything?

Also did anyone else nearly burst out laughing when they heard Ahmed talking about the airport in section one? "L'yaeroooooopoooort"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭A7XGirl

allyb17 wrote: »
    What was the second thing he liked to do in Connemara? Also what was the story of the play I couldn't catch it someone kept coughing and was asked to leave, and was it researching mushrooms or collecting? Because he's interested in food and I got the album dedicated to his kids
    I got watching the sun rise and fishing for the conamara one

What was the second thing he liked to do in Connemara?

Fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LC.student2014

I just wrote 'enfuir' not s'enfuir, would i lose marks? :(

Fishing.

I got that alright but I couldn't hear the other one :(

Dedicated to his kids? Damn, I thought it was an album for kids...oops. Second thing he liked doing in Connemara was fishing/watching the sunrise. Think the story of the play was a group of criminals and was set at the start of the 20th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JC2011girl

Dedicated to his kids? Damn, I thought it was an album for kids...oops. Second thing he liked doing in Connemara was fishing/watching the sunrise. Think the story of the play was a group of criminals and was set at the start of the 20th century.

I got an album aimed at kids too

A7XGirl wrote: »
    I got watching the sun rise and fishing for the conamara one

Ugh, was that sunrise? I said sunbathing by the sea! I wasn't sure at all though.

@LCStudent2014: I think you'll lose marks for leaving out the s' at the start as that's what makes it reflexive. Otherwise it's just a normal verb. Sorry. :(

JC2011girl wrote: »
    I got an album aimed at kids too

Same. I thought I heard him say destineé or something which I interpreted as intended for.

I just wrote 'enfuir' not s'enfuir, would i lose marks? :(

You'll either lose one mark for not having the "s'" or get no marks at all would be my guess. Surprisingly enough, I just checked and no reflexive verb qs. has come up since before 2001 in the comprehensions so no way to tell for sure.
    Was it the wrong train? Or a bad train?

Only section that caught me was Carole and her damn town!

Did anyone say for the doctors from the town: Two stopped working and One doctor worked/is still working and he's 92 years old? Thought it was a bit far fetched...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Did anyone say for the doctors from the town: Two stopped working and One doctor worked/is still working and he's 92 years old? Thought it was a bit far fetched...

Two stopped working last year and another worked everyday until 92 years of age is what I had

• Advertisement

Same. I thought I heard him say destineé or something which I interpreted as intended for.

Ah I got that wrong then ! Sorry for the mix up :P

Ah I got that wrong then ! Sorry for the mix up :P

I could still be wrong :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LC.student2014

What answers did everyone get for the last part of the listening?
    I got: flooding, 30,000euro, the bin in the cafe, and he was driving a tractor on the motorway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭richardh330

robman60 wrote: »
    Yes, propre and s'enfuir were the correct answers. I'm presuming you didn't put in sa or caravane as each extraneous element costs you a mark.

No I didn't, just putting it into context. I thought that was a very sneaky one

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Two stopped working last year and another worked everyday until 92 years of age is what I had

Was it not 82? I thought it might be 92 but then I was thinking and it'd be highly unlikely at 92?

Was it not 82? I thought it might be 92 but then I was thinking and it'd be highly unlikely at 92?

I thought the same but fairly sure it was "quatre-vingts douze"

I thought the same but fairly sure it was "quatre-vingts douze"
    Ah crap :L I don't mind I'm fairly confident about an A anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭FHB

Sometimes when followed by a noun, "quatre vingt deux" can sound very similar to "quatre vingt douze"

I went for 82 as well. Although I don't know why, but after heard it the last time I thought they said something about hours instead of years, so I said a doctor worked for 82 hours straight. Yeah...unlikely I think :P

But I wrote the other answer about the years down and scribbled it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Keeks96

FHB wrote: »
    Sometimes when followed by a noun, "quatre vingt deux" can sound very similar to "quatre vingt douze"

I went for 82 as well. Although I don't know why, but after heard it the last time I thought they said something about hours instead of years, so I said a doctor worked for 82 hours straight. Yeah...unlikely I think :P

But I wrote the other answer about the years down and scribbled it out.

I wrote 82 also, but then again this is the leaving cert so 92 year old doctors can still practice medicine!

Just a question on the journal intime... It was a friend who suggested that I get a tatto? not that a friend was wondering whether to get a tattoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭foxymm

Comprehension 1: LE CIRQUE
    Potential Answers / This is not an official SEC marking scheme.

1. (i) il pleut.
    (ii) il y a souvent juste 30 personnes en moyenne aux spectacles du cirque où il y avait 90 dans le passé.

2. (i) aucun employé
    (ii) Elle maîtrise mieux l'écriture qu'Alexis.

3. (I) propre
    (Ii) (d) les véhicules avaient par fois du mal à circular dans les villages.

4. (I) Ni lion, ni Tigre, ni elephant.
    (ii) il ne les frappe pas / il s'occupe d'eux: il y a des contrôles vétérinaires / il possède des certificats pour eux

5. (i) il a déposé / a monté des affichettes du cirque au bord de la route (plusieurs jours à l'avance)
    (ii) il n'y a pas de cousins, (juste les trois,) pour faire le remontage (du chapiteau).

- Long Days at work: First show begins at 11 in Chignat and 2nd show of the day there doesn't end until 10.30pm
    - Decreasing attendance numbers: In the past there were 90 on average per show, now it's down to 30.
    - Alexis wife's, Nancy, days are very full looking after the three kids and doing the admin work for the circus company. She also takes care of the chores.
    -In the past you arrived in the village and set up the circus tent. Nowadays, it's much more administratively demanding as you have to get authorisation from the Mayor's office to set up and this has to be done well in advance, in writing.
    (Etc....) All references must be back up with quotes from text.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement