Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** 2014 LC French - all levels - discussion, predictions, practice your French **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭foxymm

Comprehension 1: LE CIRQUE
    Potential Answers / This is not an official SEC marking scheme.

1. (i) il pleut.
    (ii) il y a souvent juste 30 personnes en moyenne aux spectacles du cirque où il y avait 90 dans le passé.

2. (i) aucun employé
    (ii) Elle maîtrise mieux l'écriture qu'Alexis.

3. (I) propre
    (Ii) (d) les véhicules avaient par fois du mal à circular dans les villages.

4. (I) Ni lion, ni Tigre, ni elephant.
    (ii) il ne les frappe pas / il s'occupe d'eux: il y a des contrôles vétérinaires / il possède des certificats pour eux

5. (i) il a déposé / a monté des affichettes du cirque au bord de la route (plusieurs jours à l'avance)
    (ii) il n'y a pas de cousins, (juste les trois,) pour faire le remontage (du chapiteau).

- Long Days at work: First show begins at 11 in Chignat and 2nd show of the day there doesn't end until 10.30pm
    - Decreasing attendance numbers: In the past there were 90 on average per show, now it's down to 30.
    - Alexis wife's, Nancy, days are very full looking after the three kids and doing the admin work for the circus company. She also takes care of the chores.
    -In the past you arrived in the village and set up the circus tent. Nowadays, it's much more administratively demanding as you have to get authorisation from the Mayor's office to set up and this has to be done well in advance, in writing.
    (Etc....) All references must be back up with quotes from text.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

^I had all of those! For the very first question I think I just said "la pluie tombe". I'll probably lose a mark there for inadequate manipulation.

@Keeks96: I think it was your friend has got a tattoo, a big one, and now you're interested in getting one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JC2011girl

foxymm wrote: »

1. (i) il pleut.
    (ii) il y a souvent juste 30 personnes en moyenne aux spectacles du cirque où il y avait 90 dans le passé.

2. (i) aucun employé
    (ii) Elle maîtrise mieux l'écriture qu'Alexis.

3. (I) propre
    (Ii) (d) les véhicules avaient par fois du mal à circular dans les villages.

4. (I) Ni lion, ni Tigre, ni elephant.
    (ii) il ne les frappe pas / il s'occupe d'eux: il y a des contrôles vétérinaires / il possède des certificats pour eux

5. (i) il a déposé / a monté des affichettes du cirque au bord de la route (plusieurs jours à l'avance)
    (ii) il n'y a pas de cousins, (juste les trois,) pour faire le remontage (du chapiteau).

- Long Days at work: First show begins at 11 in Chignat and 2nd show of the day there doesn't end until 10.30pm
    - Decreasing attendance numbers: In the past there were 90 on average per show, now it's down to 30.
    - Alexis wife's, Nancy, days are very full looking after the three kids and doing the admin work for the circus company. She also takes care of the chores.
    -In the past you arrived in the village and set up the circus tent. Nowadays, it's much more administratively demanding as you have to get authorisation from the Mayor's office to set up and this has to be done well in advance, in writing.
    (Etc....) All references must be back up with quotes from text.

For the first one I said, 'il pleuvait'..is that wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Daithi MacG

robman60 wrote: »

@Keeks96: I think it was your friend has got a tattoo, a big one, and now you're interested in getting one too.

I said that aswell, it was like "your friend has just got a tattoo and now youre interested in getting one...but you hesitate! What do you write in your diary".

Q2: LES DEUX FILLES DE GEORGES ET DE MARTHE
    Potential Answers / This is not an official SEC marking scheme

1. (I) Georges se montrait de plus en plus intolérant.
    (ii) - il les critiquait s'ils s'intéressaient à sa fille Sophie
    - il n'aimait pas leur manque de culture.

2. (I) d'aller à la grande fête organisée à Chaville par leurs cousins.
    (Ii) Lisbeth et Sophie s'efforcèrent de répondre aimablement aux questions qu'on leur pose.

3. (I) Car les filles ont disparu vite de la table (après avoir pris le dessert)
    Car les filles ont disparu de la table de si bonne heure.
    *** fâché que requires subjunctive as was in the text so had you left it out in your answer you would have had to change 'aient disparu' to 'ont disparu' for full marks.
    (ii) en moins d'un quart d'heure

4. (I) (c) Martha est entrée seule dans la maison pour retrouver thé filles.
    (ii) partir ne lui faisait peur.

5. (i) - ils sont parties pour le lycée / l'école à l'heure actuelle.
    - À l'heure actuelle, elles ont fait semblant de partir pour le lycée.

(ii) s'enfuir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 seanielc2014

Tape and reading comprehensions alot easier than other years. Written was fairly alright also. :)

JC2011girl wrote: »
    For the first one I said, 'il pleuvait'..is that wrong?

The question asked was "quel temps FAIT-IL à Chignat" , asked in the present tense so "il pleut" would be more correct so you'd probably drop one mark.

(Ii) Lisbeth et Sophie s'efforcèrent de répondre aimablement aux questions qu'on leur pose.

3. (I) Car les filles ont disparu vite de la table (après avoir pris le dessert)
    *** fâché que requires subjunctive as was in the text so had you left it out in your answer you would have had to change 'aient disparu' to 'ont disparu' for full marks.

(ii) s'enfuir

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Daithi MacG

1. (i) il pleut.

Couldn't for the life of me remember how to say it's raining...dear god. I think I just said "il fait mal". Think I managed a variation of most other answers anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

I said that aswell, it was like "your friend has just got a tattoo and now youre interested in getting one...but you hesitate! What do you write in your diary".

Exactly what I translated too. i wrote about his tatoo and the implications of me getting one. Got some nice phrases in about not being able to survive with the support of my parents. Very nice diary question IMO

• Advertisement

4. (ii) Omission of pas.....

partir ne lui faisait PAS peur

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Yes i wrote that after your friend got one youre interested but youre hesitant.

Can anyone clear up what q1 on the freedom meant exactly?

And for the smoking would it be okay to disagree? I said smoking is dangerous, leads to lung cancer, we can't allow an image for it it to be okay to exist but that it's difficult to quit and cigarettes shouldnt be forbidden totally but we need to fight against it to limit them...

Also, would I lose marks for going over the word count? I ran out of space for the cigarettes one

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JC2011girl

what percent of the total are each reading comp worth?

Reading is worth 120 marks out of the 400 at higher level, thus 30% of the exam overall! meaning it's worth the largest portion of marks.

Oral 25%
    Aural 20%
    Reading 30%
    Written 25%

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JasB14

For the journal intime there was alot of misunderstanding, was it that your friend does tattoos and suggests you should get one, you think its a good idea but you hesitate, what is your final decision? .. Or that your friend got a tattoo and you where thinking of getting one for ages but now your not sure?

LoveLamps wrote: »

"À votre avis, est-ce que les parents en Irlande aujourd'hui donnent trop de liberté à leurs enfants?"

In your opinion, do parents in Ireland today give too much freedom to their children.

JasB14 wrote: »
    For the journal intime there was alot of misunderstanding, was it that your friend does tattoos and suggests you should get one, you think its a good idea but you hesitate, what is your final decision? .. Or that your friend got a tattoo and you where thinking of getting one for ages but now your not sure?

One of your friends has just got a tatoo..... It's big, visible..... The idea of having a tatoo interests you but you're hesitating.... What decision to take?

"À votre avis, est-ce que les parents en Irlande aujourd'hui donnent trop de liberté à leurs enfants?"

In your opinion, do parents in Ireland today give too much freedom to their children.

Hmmm good. I wrote that freedom is a good for becoming independent in later life and having a good childhood and that too much freedom doesn't exist.

I didn't come to a final decision in my Diary!! I finished with I'll sleep on it... will I lose much as a result ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

And for the smoking would it be okay to disagree? I said smoking is dangerous, leads to lung cancer, we can't allow an image for it it to be okay to exist but that it's difficult to quit and cigarettes shouldnt be forbidden totally but we need to fight against it to limit them...

Also, would I lose marks for going over the word count? I ran out of space for the cigarettes one

Same here. I wrote about how I smoke :eek:. So I talked about protecting children, removing advertising yet that we are all adults and should make our own decisions. But I said that instead we should raise the tax on them as there are alternatives like ecigarettes. Alot more interesting than the other scripts that just try to say cigarettes are bad in 10 different ways that examiners will get.

Hmmm good. I wrote that freedom is a good for becoming independent in later life and having a good childhood and that too much freedom doesn't exist.

I didn't come to a final decision in my Diary!! I finished with I'll sleep on it... will I lose much as a result ?

Not at all. You can't be penalised for expressing an opinion and the fact that you were going to sleep on it demonstrates your hesitation!

Bravo.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, now time to unfollow this thread, a little analysis is okay but anymore and my head will be filled with ''I could/should have said this'' ...

Onto the next exam

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JasB14

One of your friends has just got a tatoo..... It's big, visible..... The idea of having a tatoo interests you but you're hesitating.... What decision to take?

A damn, completely messed up the whole paper, thanks though

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Andrewmcmahon

anyone else say (b) for the first multi-choice? I was going to say (d) but they never actually said that there was traffic problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LC.student2014

Does anyone have the answers to the listening in full? Very curious..

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yoajing

Uh oh. Maybe it was a bad idea to see this. Now I'm getting butterflies.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 scallway

(ii) s'enfuir

For 4ii) it asks why she's not afraid so shouldn't it be: 'lisbeth rêvait de voyages et de contrées lontaines' ??

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭FHB

scallway wrote: »
    For 4ii) it asks why she's not afraid so shouldn't it be: 'lisbeth rêvait de voyages et de contrées lontaines' ??

That's what I thought too. When I first saw that answer, I thought I must have read the question wrong, but I checked it just now. Relief. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Hi all, just in the door so if you're interested I'll post my suggested solution within the hour to include the listening which I'm just about to sit down and do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Thanks for the solutions foxymn. Got full marks in the reading comprehensions by the looks of things, maybe lost one for failure to manipulate for the weather question but thrilled nonetheless. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 aoifeflynn_

i wrote 4 pieces of writing in my exam question 1 then the journal & two opinion pieces i didnt realise that you were only ment to do question 1 & two other questions. will they mark me on my best ones? or will i just be marked down for it all together

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement