Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

magnets

• 07-06-2014 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭

looking for a strong magnet to help find nails in a plaster wall so I can locate the timber stud, any idea where I could get one locally.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Never heard of anyone using a magnet for this before? Clever idea. You could just pickup a stud / pipe / wire detector in a diy shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I am on a very tight budget lol

Lol, have you tried the 'noise test' ... bang gently with the back of a screwdriver, the wall sounds slightly different where the studs are??

Yeah, either my hearing isn't what it used to be or there wad a timber shortage when the house was being built. Is there a standard distance between studs?, in the US its 16" i think

Oh your asking the wrong fella now, im a bit of a diy disaster. Maybe try the diy forum? Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

It's supposed to be 16" , given that the slabs are 48" , but I wouldn't be surprised to see one with a half way split at 24" .

Having said that , I'm no expert .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

If you have an old hard drive lying around they have very strong magnets inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Pro tip - Was a chippie before giving it all up in 2010 :)

... look at the skirting boards (if any), where they are nailed...that's where the studs are, studs are usually fixed 16" apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Pro tip - Was a chippie before giving it all up in 2010 :)

... look at the skirting boards (if any), where they are nailed...that's where the studs are, studs are usually fixed 16" apart.

Good tip Stuxnet, like my mother used to say, " the next best thing to knowing how to do something, is to know the fellow who does, that, and having his phone number" :)

No skirting, sorted anyway, just drilled a series of small holes until I found them, room being gutted so the holes didn't matter
    Thanks for replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Wrap some wire around a nail and hook it up to a battery. Instant electro magnet.

Advertisement