Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***LEAVING CERT ART HISTORY 2014***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Hmm my teacher didnt do surrealism. Is that on the second or third question?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 peanut.lover22

Say2461 wrote: »
    by impressionists what do you mean.. thats so vague.. as in a general essay or an essay on post impressionism or he individual artist..

hope this goes well terrified :(

They normally ask about a certain impressionist artist and their work, as well as the period of impressionism and how it came about and the influences. :) It helps to look at past papers and get an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 MeganB

Would it be too risky to look at Surrealism only? :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

MeganB wrote: »
    Would it be too risky to look at Surrealism only? :/

That's honestly what I want to do. I love it so much. :pac:

But I would definitely look at other stuff, impressionists maybe or renaissance cause you really never know with the art paper.
    I was left stumped last year with the irish section and bluffed my way through a question on the Turret Stairs because we vaguely mentioned it once. ..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 asdfghjklasd

is it too risky to study just impressionsim?? pls help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭brian888

Our teacher told us that in the past the SEC have tended to ask a question in section II about artists who may have been exhibited in the national art galleries across Ireland during the year.

The Dublin city gallery has received the collection of four impressionist artists this year. Renoir being included. A question on him hasn't came up since 2009. Could be worth your while knowing him well

Yeah, Renoir Umbrellas painting is in the Hugh Lane atm

• Registered Users Posts: 4 asdfghjkl qwertyuiop

So if I know Georgian Architecture and the Renaissance and a few impressionist and gothic painters would that be ok? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭brian888

So if I know Georgian Architecture and the Renaissance and a few impressionist and gothic painters would that be ok? :/

If you know that well, and score a few marks on the section 3 coupled with a good practical score, then you should at least get a C2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Guys how do ye learn this? I learn off the book for pre Christian but is there enough information?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

oncex wrote: »
    Guys how do ye learn this? I learn off the book for pre Christian but is there enough information?

What book do you have? Mine doesn't much information.

So I use it with Less Stress More Success which actually has more info than the book :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Rachel_96

sarbear18 wrote: »
    I think bronze age and maybe newgrange for section one.. my logic being that la tene came up last year and neither bronze age or stone age have...

I'd LOVE a newgrange question

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    What book do you have? Mine doesn't much information.

So I use it with Less Stress More Success which actually has more info than the book :pac:

I have both the wine appreciating art and the old version. Also use the less stress but they are written by same people so it's basically the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oswinoswald

is it too risky to study just impressionsim?? pls help

it's fine just to study impressionism for section 2

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Jones82

Rachel_96 wrote: »
    I'd LOVE a newgrange question
    What are the chances of it coming up? It would be amazing if it did..

peekachoo wrote: »
    That's honestly what I want to do. I love it so much. :pac:

But I would definitely look at other stuff, impressionists maybe or renaissance cause you really never know with the art paper.
    I was left stumped last year with the irish section and bluffed my way through a question on the Turret Stairs because we vaguely mentioned it once. ..:pac:

SAME!! It's sooo interesting :D

Yeah I'm going to go over The Renaissance and I'm not going to bother with Impressionism, as good as it is I just never fell for it lol

Oh crap :/ What are you going to study for the Irish Section?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Jones82

Is there much to Surrealism? Might try to learn it now :P

SAME!! It's sooo interesting :D

Yeah I'm going to go over The Renaissance and I'm not going to bother with Impressionism, as good as it is I just never fell for it lol

Oh crap :/ What are you going to study for the Irish Section?

I'm absolutely fascinated with Dali especially... Hieronymus Bosch is something else also :P

for irish this year Im covering newgrange, prechristian metalwork, louis le brocquy, sean keating, pauline bewick oisin kelly and mainie jellett :P

What do you think the Georgian Question will be about? I hope it's straightforward

I'm absolutely fascinated with Dali especially... Hieronymus Bosch is something else also :P

for irish this year Im covering newgrange, prechristian metalwork, louis le brocquy, sean keating, pauline bewick oisin kelly and mainie jellett :P

Doesn't pre christian come up every year without fail?

Also lock rings.. i have so little information on them WHY ARE OUR BOOKS SO TERRIBLE!

Doesn't pre christian come up every year without fail?

Also lock rings.. i have so little information on them WHY ARE OUR BOOKS SO TERRIBLE!

Hopefully anyway :P

• Advertisement

Hopefully anyway :P

Oh god youre making me nervous now :pac::pac: why are you doing extra.....just incase?

Oh god youre making me nervous now :pac::pac: why are you doing extra.....just incase?

I prefer to answer on artists than stuff like metalwork and architecture, and its impossible to predict the irish artists cause they're adding modern ones every year!
    Then pre christian / newgrange as a plan b :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Say2461

do you guys think ill be ok for section 2 with renoir, impressionism essay(monet and renoir and aims and principals), manet and cezanne ? thats what ive done.. do ou reckon i should do a post impressionism essay with cezanna van gogh and gaughin or am i sorted?

Jones82 wrote: »
    Is there much to Surrealism? Might try to learn it now :P

Well yeah in general it's quite broad because it doesn't only consist of art, but for the exam it's quite straight forward :)

You should give it a go :D:D

Say2461 wrote: »
    do you guys think ill be ok for section 2 with renoir, impressionism essay(monet and renoir and aims and principals), manet and cezanne ? thats what ive done.. do ou reckon i should do a post impressionism essay with cezanna van gogh and gaughin or am i sorted?

essay isn't important now - focus on learning information about the artists, their time and their paintings. maybe look at the general list question that comes up every year, and try to learn about a painting under a few of those headings (degas is useful here: dancers, animals, as is monet: water and renoir: a meal)
    The questions are different every year so it's more important to learn facts than essays

Once again, SAMEEEE :') We didn't look at Boach but I saw his name on one of my handouts, I'll make sure to check him out in my spare time :D

Ohhh newgrage, hopefully that comes up :D You're pretty well covered for section 1 :D

essay isn't important now - focus on learning information about the artists, their time and their paintings. maybe look at the general list question that comes up every year, and try to learn about a painting under a few of those headings (degas is useful here: dancers, animals, as is monet: water and renoir: a meal)
    The questions are different every year so it's more important to learn facts than essays

thanks ^_^ will i go over the facts of post impresssionism then.. i really hate it.. or do you think thats fine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Say2461 - Siobhaanx prepared this last night - docs.google.com/file/d/0BwzSZHcvW8gnbmNBMExHSnBXYjg/edit

Maybe see if you can make points to answer these questions on impressionism?

Once again, SAMEEEE :') We didn't look at Boach but I saw his name on one of my handouts, I'll make sure to check him out in my spare time :D

Ohhh newgrage, hopefully that comes up :D You're pretty well covered for section 1 :D

Ahaha yes we're best friends now :pac:
    Did you ever watch Destina? :)

• Advertisement

Red Hare wrote: »
    Say2461 - Siobhaanx prepared this last night -

Maybe see if you can make points to answer these questions on impressionism?

haha thanks.. i saw this and it was awfully helpful im just so worried for this exam because its so vague.. and my pracical went well and it would be such a shame o do badly in the history.. my other 2 sections are grand though hopefully! :):)

Advertisement